Forums > General Industry > Pin Up ???????????????

Model

MELissaMOORE

Fairfield, California, US

I had a few photographer's that I have shot with multiple times tell me that there is no way I could pull off pin up.(maybe the 1970's hippie look) They said it's because of my facial structure, I have more of a California Girl/surfer girl look.
Then I talked to other photographers that I have shot with that think it is possible. What is your opinion? I am asking because it is one of my photographers next book projects and I have about 60 pics in his 1st book.
Kisses,
MEL

Jun 19 06 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

MELmoore wrote:
I had a few photographer's that I have shot with multiple times tell me that there is no way I could pull off pin up.

Don't they mean that THEY can't pull off pin up with you?  I mean, sheeesh, there were women who looked like you in the 40's and 50's!!

mjr.

Jun 19 06 11:11 pm Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
Don't they mean that THEY can't pull off pin up with you?  I mean, sheeesh, there were women who looked like you in the 40's and 50's!!

mjr.

I think they must be thinking of more of a Betty Page look!
I actually played a supporting female role in a spin off of the Godfather where I played Michael Corleone's wife Kay. Although at the end of the play,  I became the Donya.
Kisses,
MEL

Jun 19 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

With the right clothes, make-up, and hair you could easily do pin-up work.  Like most fashion oriented work there is a huge potential range to the pin-up genre and it really isn't limited at all to the "Bettie Page" thing (though I'm sure you could do that if you really wanted as well). 

Look up artists like Bill Ward, Vargas, etc. and I'm sure you'll find lots of examples you could pull off no problem.

I'm sorry, but whomever said that to you was kinda...well...dumb.

Jun 20 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

Thom Bourgois

Tucson, Arizona, US

What’s a pin up?  Pin ups of the 20s,30s,40s, 50s were all different.  The pin ups of 2006 are in 2006.  Those people telling you you can’t be a pin up have fixations on something from somewhere else.  Or maybe they have big boob fixations.  ( I favor the Twiggy figure)  Whatever, were you here I’d invite you to be in front of my camera.  Then I’d pin up some of the result along with some of the other girls I photograph.

Jun 20 06 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

Melanie,

Pinup is about the clothing, makeup and hair style AND the model's attitude and preparation.  It is not necessarily about the model's facial structure.  Good makeup can really make a difference. BUT, the right (can do) attitude, some practice of facial expressions on the model's part, a hair stylist experienced in reto hair styles, clothes and props and a skilled  photographer should result in some outstanding photos.

We (Ephotique) specialize in pinup, specifically re-creating the works of Alberto Vargas.  We've worked with models from Central and Southern California, with models of all body types and facial structures.  What made the difference in the shoot was the model's attitude.

If you were here in the San Diego area, we would be glad to work with you on a pinup shoot.

Best regards,
John

Jun 20 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

removed member

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

mjr.

ZING!

exactly...you could do whatever you wanted to do.  find the right (read...good) photographer.  and make it happen.

Jun 20 06 08:34 am Link

Photographer

Viva Van Story

Long Branch, New Jersey, US

I style most of my girls.. some are very much not pinups when they walk in my door but I do it all for them.   www.vivaspinups.com

Jun 20 06 10:07 am Link

Model

MELissaMOORE

thanks for all the help, I acted in theatre so I do believe I can pull anything off.
Kisses,
MEL

Jun 20 06 10:53 am Link