Forums > General Industry > When models show up on time...

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

...ready to work and they do an outstanding job.  What about those times?

All we seem to have here is generalizations and stereotyping about models by photographers who, sniff, didn't get what they wanted.

Poor babies...

-Don

(Disclaimer:  I've been flaked on as much as anyone.  No big deal - it's the way things are and Darwin handles it nicely.)

Jun 19 06 08:31 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Model A vanished..  No word.. *shrug*..
Model B had a tragedy (hoping things are better.. Waiting to hear.)

Next day, friends and fate threw Model C my way..  Absolutely wonderful 14 hour shoot trying about 1,000 different things I'd never gotten to do before..

Life just ain't so bad..

Jun 19 06 08:33 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I like those times.

There are a number of threads praising individuals.  Like here:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=55149

Jun 19 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

When models show up on time...

I get pissed for I am so familiar with the models showing up late,  that I am still setting up.
I just think of it as a party invite.  I get invited to a party that starts at 8 but no loser goes to the party at that time.   Maybe if you are best friends or something.

That is like going to a nightclub before 12,  well unless there is an top shelf open bar of course.

I am so used to my men showing up late that when I did a self portrait,  I had to bitch slap myself for being early to the shoot.

Jun 19 06 08:57 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

...it's a wonder the photographer doesn't die of shock.

Jun 19 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

_Cinnamon_ wrote:
...it's a wonder the photographer doesn't die of shock.

Close but that is why I do not wear pants.

Jun 19 06 09:02 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

When models show up on time to Don's shoots they get extra swats across the rear wink

I showed up early to two in a row this week does that makeup for the one I was late too??? (I got lost in Napa yuck)

Jun 19 06 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Harry Young

Los Angeles, California, US

maybe I've been lucky with most models lately:
.... on time, ready to work, energy & ideas and patient poseing/re-posing ...

liberty, Ivy, Theresa, Viktoria, Anaya ... thank you all so much for your enthusiasm & attitude!!

Jun 19 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Lee

Cape May, New Jersey, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

I'll let you know when it happens!

Jun 19 06 09:57 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

I like happy thoughts smile

Jun 19 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

I'm kinda happy when they show at all. Yes, the shock is harsh if they're on time. But saying that, here's 3 that are always dependable for me.

Pegasusmaiden 140014
Itsallinthemix 106304
Lydia 154775

How about dependable photographers, eh?

Jun 19 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

I’ve never had a model be late or cancel for no reason. Every model I’ve scheduled to work with has been on time and prepared to shoot.

I’m not a prima donna and would cancel with a model that doesn’t call me a day before the shoot to confirm or if they decide they want to reschedule because of some acne. It’s called life.

Thank you everyone that signed a model release.

Jun 19 06 11:10 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

funny how the praise threads are so short in comparision to the others.   

Human nature, I guess.

Jul 09 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

Greg Kolack

Elmhurst, Illinois, US

I have found, for the most part, models either show up on time or don't show up at all. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle of the road.

Jul 09 06 10:27 am Link

Model

A.Fox

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jack D Trute wrote:
When models show up on time...

I get pissed for I am so familiar with the models showing up late,  that I am still setting up.
I just think of it as a party invite.  I get invited to a party that starts at 8 but no loser goes to the party at that time.   Maybe if you are best friends or something.

That is like going to a nightclub before 12,  well unless there is an top shelf open bar of course.

I am so used to my men showing up late that when I did a self portrait,  I had to bitch slap myself for being early to the shoot.

That's what I usually get, a 'Oh you're here.' type of face. Then I get to sit and wait for an hour.

Once I had a radio interview for Sirius and they acutally purposely told me to be there at 8am when I didn't have to be there til 9. So I show up at 8 and they're scrambling to 'find something for me to do' while I wait for the show to start. I could've had a whole hour's more sleep!!

Jul 09 06 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

Never had a no-show. I'm probably running about 50-50 as to whether we start on time, but that's reflective of society, pretty much, and not just modeling. And I've had some not-so-great experiences, but that's reflective of society, too.

The latest, Whitney, #109099, was prompt and responsive to e-mails, was cooperative, positive, and a joy to work with. Because you can't control the weather, nothing went as planned, and she was great with improvisation, even making some good suggestions, like this. (And this is in honor of the "Looking at the eyes?" thread of a while ago.)

https://justinonimus.com/whitney-helmet1-rs.jpg

Jul 09 06 11:16 am Link

Model

Keeper

Glen Burnie, Maryland, US

I've never been late to a shoot... I don't understand why that's acceptable at all..?

I guess it's because I usually have a day-job that I'm scrambling to get to once the shoot is done and want to have plenty of time for shooting. Perhaps setting a "shoot is over at" time will encourage a model to be on time so as not to run out.

~Keeper

Jul 09 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

blacquejack

Charles Town, West Virginia, US

D. Brian Nelson wrote:

All we seem to have here is generalizations and stereotyping about models by photographers who, sniff, didn't get what they wanted.

Poor babies...

-Don

(Disclaimer:  I've been flaked on as much as anyone.  No big deal - it's the way things are and Darwin handles it nicely.)

dam, i am a photographer, got flaked on this morning, then I flaked on someone yesterday and this afternoon. Dam paid shoots to, just didn't feel like it, and to lazy to call:) oh well, life sucks:)

Jul 09 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Zunaphoto

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

TFP- about 75% flakes...maybe more. Heard everything. The ones that don't are GOLDEN and they have my love and undying respect.

Jul 09 06 12:29 pm Link

Photographer

robert christopher

Snohomish, Washington, US

i expect them to be on time, if i dont hear from them, saying they are running late, i leave after 20 minutes, my time is just too valuable.

Jul 09 06 02:38 pm Link