Forums > General Industry > Get a damn release form

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

I'm posting this based on what I've seen in other threads like shooting in shopping malls, etc.

Everyone seems to know they need model and photographer releases, but there seems to be a great amount of ignorance when it comes to locations.

Basically, if you are not shooting in your own studio, or a place owned by the model you need a *location release* from the property owner.

I really don't know why so many people who know about releases and are so dilligent in getting them from their photographer/model are almost totally unaware of the need for location releases.

Jun 19 06 02:20 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Better yet. Get this book:

http://www.allworth.com/Catalog/PH221C.htm

It has all the legal forms you could ever need. It also comes with a CD with the forms ready to print.. Probably the best book I have ever bought.

Jun 19 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

Depends on what you are shooting and what the end use of the work is.

Photojournalism.... Not so nessesary
Art photography.... Ditto
Commercial advertising work... Yes get releases for every one and everything

Am I of course not saying you won't get arrested for tresspassing as a journalist or artist, just that in most cases you have lesser release requierments than someone creating advertising photography.

Jun 19 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Great post John! I have a similar book of boilerplate release forms.

Jun 19 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Necessary for public parks?

Jun 19 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Chris Macan wrote:
Depends on what you are shooting and what the end use of the work is.

Photojournalism.... Not so nessesary
Art photography.... Ditto
Commercial advertising work... Yes get releases for every one and everything

Well, photojournalists can *sometimes* get away with shooting in some places (usually public land) by claiming "freedom of the press".

However, even art photographers should get a location release if they are selling the photos in a gallery, online, to publishers or anywere else.

Jun 19 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Photoman754 wrote:

You would likely want to get the proper use permits from the municipal body responsable for the park.

Jun 19 06 02:30 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Photoman754 wrote:

Maybe. It depends on the park.

City Parks, State Parks and Federal Parks all have different policies when it comes to photography.

EDIT: Chris (above this post) is correct. There are some parks near me that require special permits.

Jun 19 06 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Here's another book I recommend:

The Law in Plain English for Photographers
http://www.allworth.com/Catalog/PH237.htm

Both books can be found at Barnes and Noble..That's where I got my copies.

Jun 19 06 02:35 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Eric Tragedy wrote:

Well, photojournalists can *sometimes* get away with shooting in some places (usually public land) by claiming "freedom of the press".

I think the Paparazzi have really pushed the law on this one,
I can't think of any case where they have been prevented from publishing photos that could only have been shot from privet property. Even in cases where they have been arrested for trespassing. (I've seen cases where they lost invasion of privacy cases but never a case where they could not publish their oh so newsworthy pictures) So if it is a "newsworthy" event the practical restrictions are few.

It never hurts to have a property release but in most spontaneous news photos it is not be practical and in many cases would infringe upon the freedom of the press to require.

Jun 19 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Chris Macan wrote:
So if it is a "newsworthy" event the practical restrictions are few.

Yeah, photojournalists shooting "newsworthy" events are the exception.

But, most of the photographers on MM are not photojournalists, they are shooting models, and it is in response to what I saw in other threads about shooting on private property (like inside a mall) that prompted me to post this.

-Eric

Jun 19 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

i love freedom of the press, an editors name can get you into and out of a lot of tight spaces these post 911 days.

Jun 19 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
i love freedom of the press, an editors name can get you into and out of a lot of tight spaces these post 911 days.

Doug, is it as bad down there as it is in the U.S.? Here, there has been a definite change post 9/11. Particularly with regard to shooting places like subways, public squares, etc.

Jun 19 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

Eric Tragedy wrote:

Yeah, photojournalists shooting "newsworthy" events are the exception.

But, most of the photographers on MM are not photojournalists, they are shooting models, and it is in response to what I saw in other threads about shooting on private property (like inside a mall) that prompted me to post this.

-Eric

Correct you are,
Not many news chasers here.
and for the "others" you are correct in that they may not grasp how the lack of a property release could cause them trouble should they attempt to publish their work.

But once again it's the fashion & commercial photographers that have the most to lose.
Releases are a much bigger deal when selling a person or property’s likeness for commercial use (print ads, billboards, collateral, brochures.....)

the Artists will for the most part not have any problems printing and showing their work in galleries and should not have any issues publishing an art book regardless of not having releases (model or property). Some magazines and book publishers however may require the artist to produce the releases to cover the publisher and that is where they could have issues.

So yeah I agree with you, get them if you can because there are some sales you will never make with out them.

Jun 19 06 03:23 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

That's right photogs! Get those damn release forms...I'm tired of getting having to end a shoot early cause we get kicked out...damn security guards and their fancy flashlights! smile

Jun 19 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Eric Tragedy wrote:
Basically, if you are not shooting in your own studio, or a place owned by the model you need a *location release* from the property owner.

Maybe where you live... but not where the rest of us live.

Studio36

Jun 19 06 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Eric, exactly where did you get your law degree?

Jun 19 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I am wondering where this advice comes from?   

There are really only a limited set of cirumstances where you need a property release, although there are times when one is necessary. 

This website has some discussion of the topic:

http://photography.about.com/gi/dynamic … 2Fp14.html

I am not here to give legal advice, but I think you need to do some research on when a release is or is not required.  It is not as broad as you are suggesting.

Jun 19 06 04:01 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eric Tragedy wrote:
Everyone seems to know they need model and photographer releases,

What is a Photographer's Release?

Don't you really mean a license agreement or usage rights agreement? I am presuming that you are referring to the document a photographer signs giving permission to a model or client to make use of photos to which he/she holds the copyright.

I am not here to rain on your parade, but I get concerned when photographers, rather than lawyers, start lecturing people about legal matters.  That is what attorneys are for.

I have much less of a problem when people try to answer questions on forums, doing their best.  But I am more concerned when someone proffers advice without looking at the facts of the particular situation.

Your post is well intentioned and the information is something that needs to be considered, but it is a little bit too absolute for what really is at issue.

Jun 19 06 04:12 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Who said I had a law degree?

(I do however cohabitate with an attourney)

Jun 19 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Alan from Aavian Prod wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  I am wondering where this advice comes from?   

There are really only a limited set of cirumstances where you need a property release, although there are times when one is necessary. 

I am not here to give legal advice, but I think you need to do some research on when a release is or is not required.  It is not as broad as you are suggesting.

Well, I am not giving legal advice. However, I have been advised by my attourney that I should get location releases for everything I would have to get one for if I was shooting film/video (the motion kind) and I have done a lot of ADing for film/video - and we *always* need location releases.

So yes, I am not a lawyer, and never said I was. But, I have had to deal with the requirements for a location release on many occasions.

Jun 19 06 04:45 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Since I've never dealt with location releases, I asked my attorney (note: there's no "u" in attorney), who just chuckled (and didn't charge me for the time).

Go figure.

Jun 19 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

The link you provide is great information, but it's about shooting buildings from the outside (or public buildings from the inside). I was posting in response to people who were shooting inside private property like shopping malls.

Jun 19 06 04:54 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eric Tragedy wrote:
The link you provide is great information, but it's about shooting buildings from the outside (or public buildings from the inside). I was posting in response to people who were shooting inside private property like shopping malls.

That is all well and good, but even at that you need to do some research.  It really depends on what you shoot in the mall as to whether a release is required.  Beyond that, it depends on whether you are in a publicly accessible area as well.  Likewise, while it may be true that in some cases they may either ask you to stop shooting or ask you to leave a publicly accessible area, it isn't necessarily tru that you will need a release for the photos you have already shot.

I am not here to berate you, but these are complex issues which do not lend themselves well to your simplistic advice.

There are many, many more links on the web about a photographer's rights, on where he can and cannot shoot and when he does or does not need a release.  There have been volumes written.  Perhaps we would all be better served by relying upon the advice of experts rather than what you presume to be the case.

Jun 19 06 04:56 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

That is all well and good, but even at that you need to do some research.  It really depends on what you shoot in the mall as to whether a release is required.  Beyond that, it depends on whether you are in a publicly accessible area as well.  Likewise, while it may be true that in some cases they may either ask you to stop shooting or ask you to leave a publicly accessible area, it isn't necessarily tru that you will need a release for the photos you have already shot.

I am not here to berate you, but these are complex issues which do not lend themselves well to your simplistic advice.

There are many, many more links on the web about a photographer's rights, on where he can and cannot shoot and when he does or does not need a release.  There have been volumes written.  Perhaps we would all be better served by relying upon the advice of experts rather than what you presume to be the case.

Whoa! O.K., I am not forcing anything on anyone. I know I have been advised to get a location release whenever possible, and that's what I do. Usually the actual release part is just one part of the general contract called a "location agreement".

Perhaps my view is somewhat skewed by the fact that I do more work for TV & film, and even for reality shows we need releases when we shoot in stores and it covers still photos as well. For feature films, many distributors won't even look at your film if you can't show releases for all the shooting locations.

Perhaps things are more lax for still photography? I don't know. And I don't pretend to know. I was just saying what I have been advised. If you know more than I do, I stand corrected, and heartily suggest that everyone listen to your advice, not mine. I am not licensed to practice anywhere in the world. Just trying to be helpful.

Jun 19 06 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eric Tragedy wrote:
Well, I am not giving legal advice. However, I have been advised by my attourney that I should get location releases for everything I would have to get one for if I was shooting film/video (the motion kind) and I have done a lot of ADing for film/video - and we *always* need location releases.

So yes, I am not a lawyer, and never said I was. But, I have had to deal with the requirements for a location release on many occasions.

Maybe it would be easier, since you live with an attorney, if you explained to us your basis for making the claim.  Is it grounded in state law, federal law, copyright?   That might help us better understand the circumstances under which you specifically feel a release is necessary.  The word "Always" does not really fit reality.  I am also wondering if this is more about consent to shoot.  As an example, I would agree that you may need permission to film inside a mall.  Absent that, it is clear they could ask you to leave.  Perhaps that is what you are thinking of.  Obviously you wouldn't want to start a project knowing that they might kick you out.  On the other hand, even if they kick you out, that doesn't necessarily mean you can't use the images you shot.

I think what you are doing is confusing issues, making valid points in one respect, but perhaps confusing permission to shoot with a release for images you have already shot.

In any event, I am not here to shoot you down, but to better understand what you are trying to say.  There is probably validity in the point you are making if we can put it into context.

Jun 19 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Lexi Evans

Levittown, New York, US

I know to shoot at the public park in my town i need to pay $350 for a permit

Jun 19 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Lexi Evans wrote:

Is that a New York thing?

Here in Washington, our parks department requires a permit only if you are reserving a specific location, or will be displacing other members of the public. Single-photographer with single-model typically does not require a permit (at least in my county).

Jun 19 06 05:17 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Lexi Evans wrote:

Permits are an entirely different issue than a property release.  There are many circumstances, even in some municipalities on private property, where a permit may be required.

So I am not surprised by the requirement.

Jun 19 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Maybe it would be easier, since you live with an attorney, if you explained to us your basis for making the claim.  Is it grounded in state law, federal law, copyright?   That might help us better understand the circumstances under which you specifically feel a release is necessary....In any event, I am not here to shoot you down, but to better understand what you are trying to say.  There is probably validity in the point you are making if we can put it into context.

She (attorney that lives here) is not home at the moment, but is an IP lawyer. I actually have another lawyer who specializes in Entertainment Law, and both have advised me to get location releases. I do not know the exact reasoning behind it, but it is to protect the photographer and/or whoever he/she sells photographs to from lawsuits.

Here is some of the exact words from the release: Grantor releases and discharges Photographer,  his employees agents, licensees, successors and assigns from any and all claims, demands or causes of actions that Grantor may now have or may from now on have for libel, defamation, invasion of privacy or right of publicity, infringement of copyright or violation of any other right arising out of or relating to any utilization of the rights granted herin.

Hope that helps.

Again I am not a lawyer, I am not advising anyone how they should conduct their business, all I'm doing is sharing the information I have been given. Feel free to discuss it further, however, there is very little else I can say on the matter, because I have reached the limits of my knowledge on the subject.

Jun 19 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eric Tragedy wrote:
Again I am not a lawyer, I am not advising anyone how they should conduct their business, all I'm doing is sharing the information I have been given. Feel free to discuss it further, however, there is very little else I can say on the matter, because I have reached the limits of my knowledge on the subject.

Thank you for the information.  I know what a property release says, it is really more a question of when one is required.  I am also not an attorney so I will not advise anyone.  That is something they should discuss with their attorney based on the specific circumstances.  There are indeed times when a property release is needed, it just isn't "always."

Jun 19 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

Is that a New York thing?

Here in Washington, our parks department requires a permit only if you are reserving a specific location, or will be displacing other members of the public. Single-photographer with single-model typically does not require a permit (at least in my county).

Speaking of parks - did any of you see this article from about a week ago that was picked up by the AP wire?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co … 00182.html

Jun 19 06 06:00 pm Link