Forums > General Industry > :::::black Lists::::

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I guess my point is, why bother with a blacklist? People change, things change, situations change. If a blacklist could predict the future, then it would be worthwhile to me.

Jul 21 05 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

40 Digital Photography

Tarpon Springs, Florida, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 
I guess my point is, why bother with a blacklist? People change, things change, situations change. If a blacklist could predict the future, then it would be worthwhile to me.

I think in my experiences, I've never had a bad experience with any model I shot with. For sure, some were better than others but none were difficult.

I've only had one no show, no call. But for me, I don't have as much invested as others since I don't have a studio. If I did, then perhaps my attitude would be a bit different towards no show, no calls.

To me if I get a cancellation and the shoot does not work out, I take out my frustrations on the San Andreas highway by throwing grenades at the traffic.

Robert

Jul 21 05 08:18 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Definitely.

Those photographer that have a larger than life ego and unnecessary attitude, And those that are actually bluntly in this MM to find models to add to his collection of orgy girls... don't wanna call names but they are DEFINITELY on my black list right now. 

Jul 21 05 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by U240Robert: 
...To me if I get a cancellation and the shoot does not work out, I take out my frustrations on the San Andreas highway by throwing grenades at the traffic.

Robert

Rob, I don't know about you my man, but I loves my freedom. Grenades? Not me. I'll stick with the straw and paper spit-wads at Starbucks.

I had a no show yesterday afternoon. No big deal. Still, if I had a magic mirror, I could've stayed in my sweats. So, I got dressed for nothing, went through an equipment check, replaced batteries, loaded film, took light readings for the heck of it, etc., and she didn't show, or call. Still, no big deal.

Was actually very happy she didn't come. Got to put on some shorts and schlaff around the house eating banana-split ice cream. Scratched the model's name off my work queue though and that's about it.

Life goes on.

Jul 21 05 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

JenniferMaria

Miami Beach, Florida, US

Blacklist?  An ugly thing. Yes, I have a blacklist. For me it's not the action committed by the blacklister but the motive behind the action that warrants blacklisting.  Fortunately, it's a small list.  And I do not disclose my blacklist to anyone. If I don't have a nice thing to say about them, I don't bring their name up.  And if I am questioned, I will simply acknowledge that I remember having met them.  I don't mind listening to mua's, models, photographers and everyone else who tells me things, but I make up my own mind. 

-Jennifer Maria

Jul 21 05 08:51 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

well in my initial conversation, i really liked a model that was on anothers "mental black list"..as it turned out there was a common name on our "im not gonna work with" list...it got me thinking...

so my thought was not "should we have" or "we should not have a black list"..but do you have one?...i thought it might make for an interesting discussion..that was the point of my post..

Jul 21 05 09:03 pm Link

Photographer

Jack D Trute

New York, New York, US

Definitely.

Those models that have a larger than life ego and unnecessary attitude, And those that are actually bluntly in this MM to find photographers to add to their collection of orgy friends... don't wanna call names but they are DEFINITELY on my black list right now.

Jul 21 05 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 

Posted by Joe K. Perez: 

well in my initial conversation, i really liked a model that was on anothers "mental black list"..as it turned out there was a common name on our "im not gonna work with" list...it got me thinking...

so my thought was not "should we have" or "we should not have a black list"..but do you have one?...i thought it might make for an interesting discussion..that was the point of my post..

I know. I just took a kind of an analogous, long winded approach in replying, "No, I don't have a black list and maybe, having one isn't a great idea". *grin*

Jul 21 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Wright

Lansing, Michigan, US

I can understand why photographers and models do and don't have blacklists. Both sides have valid points. I just find it hard to want to work with someone that peed in my Wheaties from the git go. There are too many models that I would like to work with that don't come at me with an attitude, with their hands out looking for money or have problems treating me like they would like to be treated. For what it's worth, after talking to Doug about the particular model that he loves to work with but had ended up on my "black list". I am rethinking my initial decision and that maybe something was going on with her at the time. That perhaps if she approached me down the road to possibly work together I might go ahead and do it.

Chris

Jul 21 05 09:27 pm Link

Model

Mistress Purgatori

Washington, District of Columbia, US

there's only one photographer(well I should say hack as he has himself convinced he's a pro photog but he's really just a hack in it to try and get chicks naked etc..) on My list and I will continue to warn other models about him because he is a sexual predator and a disgusting pervert.he doesn't care if a "chaperone"is there he still acted completly unprofessional w/ Me and the other model(as well as other models I found out) and then he also jipped us on images.(so if he does unprofessional things when chaperones are there what does he do when the model shows up alone?)
and he lies about the majority of his portfolio.and he has recently joined this site and I just kept tabs on him till I saw he targeted not 1 but 3 underage girls.I have since written Tyler about him.
if a photog or a model has issues w/ someone that's one thing BUT if the said photog or said model could potenially harm or exploit others they try to work with then that is when it's time to inform other industry ppl about them.
there is a difference.
xxx
MP

Jul 21 05 09:36 pm Link

Model

Rolanda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Doug Swinskey: 
well i really dont care what anyones experiences was unless it was criminal (she stole my camera equipment!)..

What do you mean STOLE?? You said I could have that equipment...Besides...I was gonna give it back!! hehe

Jul 21 05 09:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Posted by TeddyRay: 
Great post Doug.

Ok so we all have someone in the industry that we wouldn't work with and or recommend to others. We also have those that we praise for their efforts, communication skills and or just raw talent.

Absolutely, and as much as I like to know the bad seeds, I really want to know the good ones.  There are a few photographers in the area who have raw talent, and I've watched them develop over the years, and spoke with people they've worked with to get an idea of what these people are like to work with.  It's good to know these things!  One photog... great guy, but not likely someone I would get along with in terms of style.  That's fine, and I know that now, before wasting time on a shoot.  But maybe I know of another makeup artist that he'd work well with, or even a model.  I've actually been doing a lot of pairing up lately.

Besides communication with others what would discourage a model from shooting with a photographer?  Likewise with a photographer shooting a model?

There's a whole list of possible discouragements.  How they communicate is one possibility.  If they are rude or too aggressive, or somehow thinking they are doing you a favor by even spending time with you on the phone, then that's a problem.  Not supplying prints or CDs as requested, that's a big problem.  Disappearing off the face of the planet at a critical time in the planning or during post, huge problem.

I mean if all you have to go on is say an email suggesting the desire to work with you, after looking over ones profile (providing they have one) why would or wouldn't you?

Is not replying to a request an example of ones professionalism?

Yes and no.  Email you can pretend you didn't get.  And maybe you for real didn't get it.  Spam blockers, junk filters, server issues, plus a host of other reasons why an email wasn't responded to.  (Maybe it was responded to, and you didn't receive it.)  It doesn't make me happy, but in no way do I assume unprofessional behaviour, at least at that stage.  Beyond that stage, when the conversation has been flowing, the work is being scheduled, or payment is due... if all that previously was in email, you can bet I'll be pissed if someone ignores me then.  If I call, and I still get ignored... bad.  I write a letter, sending it certified... really bad.  I will simply never work with you again, and if anyone I know is planning to work with you after all this, I will tell them what happened and make suggestion on how to work with you for best results, or they can simply decide not to work with you.

Jul 21 05 10:05 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

I currently offer good discounts to black-listed models

Jul 21 05 10:16 pm Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Well, I've only been at this current incarnation of art photography for just under a year and was doing well until I had 3 consecutive no shows last week.  To date, they still have not called.  These models are definitely on my blacklist.  I won't broadcast their names (you know who you are if you're reading this post) but I will definitely truthfully share my experience anytime their names come up in conversation.  Also, I made a point of warning a makeup artist friend who was going to work with one of them next month.  There are other models with whom I wouldn't work again because the chemistry wasn't quite right or the shoot just didn't yield the pictures that I expected, but I wouldn't say anything negative to anyone about them.

Jul 21 05 10:39 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Hi Herb!

(*wink*)

Yeah, blacklists... good things to have, huh Herb?

https://www.emelle.net/emoticons/th_0tongue1.gif

(and no, Herb is not on my blacklist, he's on my bright shiny rainbow list.)

Jul 22 05 02:08 am Link

Photographer

LongWindFPV Visuals

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Posted by Louis Braga: 
I currently offer good discounts to black-listed models

There are days when I live for the greatness, there are days when I just don't give a flying F and there are my lazy days too. Not to mention days I'm "blah".

What gets me by each phase are these one liners that get me to chuckling something fierce.

Jul 22 05 02:24 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

Posted by Leila: 
Even if I didn't like a photographer personally, I would never tell another model "Don't EVER work with so-and-so". I just tell other girls how my shoot went and in general what to expect. If the guy did something very wrong, like try to take advantage of me (thankfully that hasn't happened), I would definetly warn people. I only have a small list of who not to work with.

u r lucky

i had a dangerous scary homicidal vicious sick one ...
thats disrespctful in public, psychotic in prvate and a fraud WHO tries to harm you if you dont let him abuse you... but DOES do some good photos

so hes on here with lots of friends 

how will i warn the models? he doesnt use ME as a reference!!

Jul 22 05 06:45 am Link

Model

ppppppp

Ġaznī, Ġaznī, Afghanistan

dido!!!

Jul 22 05 10:40 am Link

Model

ppppppp

Ġaznī, Ġaznī, Afghanistan

Posted by EmElle: 

Posted by TeddyRay: 
Great post Doug.

Ok so we all have someone in the industry that we wouldn't work with and or recommend to others. We also have those that we praise for their efforts, communication skills and or just raw talent.

Absolutely, and as much as I like to know the bad seeds, I really want to know the good ones.  There are a few photographers in the area who have raw talent, and I've watched them develop over the years, and spoke with people they've worked with to get an idea of what these people are like to work with.  It's good to know these things!  One photog... great guy, but not likely someone I would get along with in terms of style.  That's fine, and I know that now, before wasting time on a shoot.  But maybe I know of another makeup artist that he'd work well with, or even a model.  I've actually been doing a lot of pairing up lately.

Besides communication with others what would discourage a model from shooting with a photographer?  Likewise with a photographer shooting a model?

There's a whole list of possible discouragements.  How they communicate is one possibility.  If they are rude or too aggressive, or somehow thinking they are doing you a favor by even spending time with you on the phone, then that's a problem.  Not supplying prints or CDs as requested, that's a big problem.  Disappearing off the face of the planet at a critical time in the planning or during post, huge problem.

I mean if all you have to go on is say an email suggesting the desire to work with you, after looking over ones profile (providing they have one) why would or wouldn't you?

Is not replying to a request an example of ones professionalism?

Yes and no.  Email you can pretend you didn't get.  And maybe you for real didn't get it.  Spam blockers, junk filters, server issues, plus a host of other reasons why an email wasn't responded to.  (Maybe it was responded to, and you didn't receive it.)  It doesn't make me happy, but in no way do I assume unprofessional behaviour, at least at that stage.  Beyond that stage, when the conversation has been flowing, the work is being scheduled, or payment is due... if all that previously was in email, you can bet I'll be pissed if someone ignores me then.  If I call, and I still get ignored... bad.  I write a letter, sending it certified... really bad.  I will simply never work with you again, and if anyone I know is planning to work with you after all this, I will tell them what happened and make suggestion on how to work with you for best results, or they can simply decide not to work with you.

i love your thinking.. it is true raw and real... at least someone is speaking on both sides!!

Jul 22 05 10:43 am Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

looks like someone is working on a site about this very topic. www.theindustryblacklist.com

Jul 22 05 10:59 am Link

Photographer

Herb Way

Black Mountain, North Carolina, US

Posted by EmElle: 
Hi Herb!

(*wink*)

Yeah, blacklists... good things to have, huh Herb?

https://www.emelle.net/emoticons/th_0tongue1.gif

(and no, Herb is not on my blacklist, he's on my bright shiny rainbow list.)

EmElle, you're so sweet!  No wonder Mary Lynn says such great things about you.

Jul 22 05 03:11 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

I think being black listed can be a good or a bad thing....If idiots who don't pay well black list you they save you time and aggrevation, they free up your time for real jobs.

If you are being black listed by major magazines and major clients you have a problem. The rest, don't worry about.

Jul 22 05 04:03 pm Link