Forums > General Industry > My Turn: Busted by the cops today

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

There is a fantastic location about 15 miles from my house - an abandoned saw mill, complete with rusting band saws and disc saws, conveyor belts, tons of old wood, piping, and lushly overgrown. I've shot there innumerable times over the past two or three years.

Today, I took my assistant and a model out there to do the last shoot for my next book. We got there, picked an inside spot, and started shooting. About an hour into the shoot, we were interrupted by three members of King County's finest law enforcement establishment. The model was, of course, nude, and I was in mid-shot.

They asked us to stop, and one of the cops used his magic words: "We had a report of nudity, and someone was alarmed and affronted." I then used my magic words, "Really? I'm surprised, as we were mostly out of eyesight from the highway, but I'm terribly sorry. There's nothing untoward going on here, I'm shooting for a book. Nothing that appeals to the prurient nature, I assure you, and we had no intent to offend anyone."

Everything defused at that point. The cops let the model get her dress on, they asked for all of our identification which I gladly provided, we all came back 10-60 (no wants or warrants), and they asked the model, aside, if all was okay. The model said yes, and that all was exactly as I had described it.

We were then told, "Well, we don't see anything wrong here other than the fact that this is private property, so unless you have permission from the owner, we're going to ask you to leave."

"Absolutely, sir," I replied. I actually have tried to find the owner to ask permission, but the county records show the last owner, the actual mill company, to be out of business, and the property appears to have reverted to the county. So since there were no "no trespassing" signs, and since I know a lot of photographers shoot here, we chose the location.

"Yeah," agreed the cop, "it is a nice location. But still..."

"Yup. I know." I answered, "No worries."

So I only got one hour out of a three hour shoot, but our run-in with the cops was pleasant and without a problem. They clearly knew our state's standing on indecent exposure, and I'm reasonably sure that I got across, in a polite manner, that I did, too, and we both knew that we weren't even close. The model was in her late 20's, by the way, so that wasn't an issue.

I guess it all depends on where you live and what the cop had for lunch that day?

The third-to-last frame from the shoot is in my portfolio here, to give you an idea of the incredibly rich location. I'm sad to see if off limits now.

Jun 18 06 11:30 pm Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
There is a fantastic location about 15 miles from my house - an abandoned saw mill, complete with rusting band saws and disc saws, conveyor belts, tons of old wood, piping, and lushly overgrown. I've shot there innumerable times over the past two or three years.

Today, I took my assistant and a model out there to do the last shoot for my next book. We got there, picked an inside spot, and started shooting. About an hour into the shoot, we were interrupted by three members of King County's finest law enforcement establishment. The model was, of course, nude, and I was in mid-shot.

They asked us to stop, and one of the cops used his magic words: "We had a report of nudity, and someone was alarmed and affronted." I then used my magic words, "Really? I'm surprised, as we were mostly out of eyesight from the highway, but I'm terribly sorry. There's nothing untoward going on here, I'm shooting for a book. Nothing that appeals to the prurient nature, I assure you, and we had no intent to offend anyone."

Everything defused at that point. The cops let the model get her dress on, they asked for all of our identification which I gladly provided, we all came back 10-60 (no wants or warrants), and they asked the model, aside, if all was okay. The model said yes, and that all was exactly as I had described it.

We were then told, "Well, we don't see anything wrong here other than the fact that this is private property, so unless you have permission from the owner, we're going to ask you to leave."

"Absolutely, sir," I replied. I actually have tried to find the owner to ask permission, but the county records show the last owner, the actual mill company, to be out of business, and the property appears to have reverted to the county. So since there were no "no trespassing" signs, and since I know a lot of photographers shoot here, we chose the location.

"Yup. I know." I answered, "No worries."

So I only got one hour out of a three hour shoot, but our run-in with the cops was pleasant and without a problem. They clearly knew our state's standing on indecent exposure, and I'm reasonably sure that I got across, in a polite manner, that I did, too, and we both knew that we weren't even close. The model was in her late 20's, by the way, so that wasn't an issue.

I guess it all depends on where you live and what the cop had for lunch that day?

The third-to-last frame from the shoot is in my portfolio here, to give you an idea of the incredibly rich location. I'm sad to see if off limits now.

who were the officers? both of my uncles are policemen, one is a county sherriff last i checked and i cant remember if it is pierce or king.

edit: one is a puyallup patrol commander, other is a pierce county sgt....havent seen them in about 5 years....either way, sucky story.

Jun 18 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

MarkusRichmondModel

Los Angeles, California, US

You guys kept your cool and had perfect choicing of words, unlike what appears to be other cop stories on these boards. Be respectful, and grant their wishes and everything should go smoothly.

Jun 18 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

From my personal experience (both photographing and being a drunken sot wandering around 1st Ave at 3am looking for the damn bus stop) I can say that King County and Seattle Metro cops are typically very nice people who just want to make sure nothing bad happens in their territory. 

Bellevue cops, on the other hand....

Jun 18 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Dang, if it were me, I would have locked you up and thrown away the key.  How dare you be nice and respectful to a police officer.  That is totally uncharasteristic of this community.

Jun 18 06 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Chris, you were so cool!  You've provided a textbook example of how to handle cops in that situation.  (I usually just squat and scream "First Amendment!  First Amendment!")

Jun 18 06 11:58 pm Link

Photographer

bubbaclicks

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

welcome to that less than elite group of shooters who have encountered the police on a shoot... i had a dealing with a cop about 2 months ago, and unlike you, the cop get out of his car like a bull in the china shop.  Like you, i was polite and courteous and by the time we all left, the cop was laughing with us...and i WAS tresspassing....

i found that when he came at me with all that initial negative energy, i never lost my cool,  was OVERLY polite with the yesssir, and no sir stuff and it turned the whole energy around..

i think you handled it beautifully

Jun 19 06 12:06 am Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

Just goes to show, being polite and respectful goes a long, long ways. Sucks that you lost a great location though, are you going to try shooting there again in the future?

Jun 19 06 12:16 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

Very well done! Polite compliance and common-sense defense is the way to go with the police. I had a very minor confrontation with a security guard (not the same thing I know) in May. We were trespassing in an industrial park, using a very nice workplace patio. One of my models was in the car changing naughty little outfits and the other was posing in her hottieness regalia. After checking us out, and a promise from me that we would not cause any harm, he went away!!! I could hear the gears whirring in his head though - "Gotta get me one of them cameras!"

Jun 19 06 12:39 am Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Welcome to the elite club, man!   LOL

Jun 19 06 01:13 am Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Your photos are great but you need to work on your story telling. To be a truley effective story you need conflict. Allow me to edit. My edits are in brackets.
---

They asked us to stop, and one of the cops used his magic words: "We had a report of nudity, and someone was alarmed and affronted." I then used my magic words, "Really? [what old biddy turned us in?] I'm surprised, as we were mostly out of eyesight from the highway, [so you know the complaintant didn't see shit... you lying bastard] but I'm terribly sorry. There's nothing untoward going on here, [as you can see you idiot] I'm shooting for a book. Nothing that appeals to the prurient nature, [of the Jack Boot Republicains that you are lakeys for] I assure you, and we had no intent to offend anyone." [but in any case, fuck you pig, I know my rights.]

Everything defused at that point.[or so I thought] The cops let the model get her dress on, [after the preverts got a good long look at her goodies] they asked for all of our identification which I gladly provided, we all came back 10-60 (no wants or warrants), and they asked the model, aside, [treating her like a criminal] if all was okay. The model said yes, and that all was exactly as I had described it. [at that  point I told him "you fucking donut eating bastard, go find real criminals to fuck with."]

"Absolutely, sir," I replied. I actually have tried to find the owner to ask permission, but the county records show the last owner, the actual mill company, to be out of business, and the property appears to have reverted to the county. So since there were no "no trespassing" signs, and since I know a lot of photographers shoot here, we chose the location. [so fuck off cop, I am within my rights to shoot here. Public property and I as a citizen have the right to shoot here.]

"Yeah," agreed the cop, "it is a nice location. But still..." [I raised my hand to flip him off.. he said he "thought" I was taking a swing on him. He took out his night stick and beat me like he owned me. They threw me in handcuffs, took my camera and other equiptment, took me to jail. All because I was excercising my RIGHT to photograph in a public place. It's all Bush's fault.]

[deleted your happy ending]
---

See how those few edits improved your story.

On a serious note you need to find out who really does own the location. You may be able to buy it for back taxes. If it is that popular of a location, you may be able to hook up with other local photographers to buy it.

Jun 19 06 01:57 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

Busted by the cops today

sounds more like, uh, you were interrupted, not busted (i.e., actually arrested) ...

FML

Jun 19 06 02:02 am Link

Photographer

IrisSwope

Dallas, Texas, US

Mike Cummings, good job! That's true MM style.
Cuz that's exactly how all the other stories are done. Well, if they were even true to begin with...
Iris

Jun 19 06 03:39 am Link

Photographer

MannyDesalamanca

Orlando, Florida, US

Your Lucky,
As a Cop, I would have been Jealous and Locked you up ! and had a party with the model...

Manny D.

Jun 19 06 04:02 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

...We were then told, "Well, we don't see anything wrong here other than the fact that this is private property, so unless you have permission from the owner, we're going to ask you to leave."

You didn't think fast enough or do enough research... if the property [buildings, ect, but also including ground ownership] reverted for tax purposes to the county then it MAY BE, factually, public property; - OR - and this too would not be unusual in your neck of the woods, the actual ground may belong to the forest service, BLM, or the state of WA - also public lands.

Do a bit more research on that. You may not be out of luck using it in the future if any of those possibilities is true. The cop assumed it was private property because of the previous use, not necessarily with factual knowlewdge of ownership of the ground, by a private corporation... but is it? Mill sites were, and still are, leased by the forest service, the BLM and the state, on public ground. Railways and mining companies own a ton of that stuff [forest land] in WA state as well. And so does the state of WA, itself, for that matter. Not to mention tribal lands as well.

As to the actual ownership and status of the land... all may not be as the cop assumed it to be.

In the end you fall back to the principle that you have a right to be there unless that right has been removed by constructive notice [e.g.  posting]. What I am getting at is that you probably don't need explicit permission of the "owner" to be on the land, especially if it is publicly owned land in the first place, but even if it is in private ownership - if they don't want you to assume an implied license to be there they can post it to that effect. The cop asked you to leave... but whether he had a right, and a knowledgeable and fully informed legal basis, to do that is what I am questioning. If land is not posted then you have a right to make certain assumptions as well... as it turns out, those assumptions may well be the opposite of theirs.

Studio36

Jun 19 06 04:32 am Link

Photographer

Tony Culture Photoz

Bloomfield, New Jersey, US

That Mike Cummings could write for television

Jun 19 06 04:58 am Link

Model

Melissa of LA

Anniston, Alabama, US

Sounds like everyone behaved professionally and if you acually did have permission from the property's owner, you'd have been allowed to contiue the shoot. Unfortunately, you actually were trespassing, though with innocent enough intent. It's a good idea to make friends with officers and deputies in areas where you shoot. They can actually help you find private locations and help turn away or at least alert you to passerby who may see and take offense. Of course, you should never betray that trust and cooperation by doing anything illegal.

Jun 19 06 05:11 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Melissa D wrote:
Unfortunately, you actually were trespassing,

Actually in WA state he may NOT have been trespassing.... REGARDLESS of the ownership status of the former, but now abandoned, mill and land UNLESS it was posted, which he says it wasn't.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9A.52.090

RCW 9A.52.090
Criminal trespass — Defenses.

In any prosecution under RCW 9A.52.070 and 9A.52.080, it is a defense that:

(1) A building involved in an offense under RCW 9A.52.070 was abandoned; or

(2) The premises were at the time open to members of the public and the actor complied with all lawful conditions imposed on access to or remaining in the premises; or

(3) The actor reasonably believed that the owner of the premises, or other person empowered to license access thereto, would have licensed him to enter or remain; or...

NOTE: Bizarrely, it would appear that if he found an abandoned industrial building to shoot in, in downtown Seattle, the same defence would apply... much less at an abandoned mill in the forest.

--------

There are also other reasons that he may not have been trespassing if the land was publically owned and merely leased to the former mill.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=4.24.210

RCW 4.24.210
Liability of owners or others in possession of land and water areas for injuries to recreation users — Limitation.

Except as otherwise provided in subsection (3) or (4) of this section, any public or private landowners or others in lawful possession and control of any lands whether designated resource, rural, or urban, or water areas or channels and lands adjacent to such areas or channels, who allow members of the public to use them for the purposes of outdoor recreation, which term includes, but is not limited to, the cutting, gathering, and removing of firewood by private persons for their personal use without purchasing the firewood from the landowner, hunting, fishing, camping, picnicking, swimming, hiking, bicycling, skateboarding or other nonmotorized wheel-based activities, hanggliding, paragliding, rock climbing, the riding of horses or other animals, clam digging, pleasure driving of off-road vehicles, snowmobiles, and other vehicles, boating, nature study, winter or water sports, viewing or enjoying historical, archaeological, scenic, or scientific sites, without charging a fee of any kind therefor, shall not be liable for unintentional injuries to such users....

AND also a small clue to what is public policy here:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=79.10.125

Chapter 79.10 RCW
Land management authorities and policies

RCW 79.10.125
Land open to public for fishing, hunting, and nonconsumptive wildlife activities.

All state lands hereafter leased for grazing or agricultural purposes shall be open and available to the public for purposes of hunting and fishing, and for nonconsumptive wildlife activities, as defined by the board of natural resources, unless closed to public entry because of fire hazard or unless the department gives prior written approval and the area is lawfully posted by lessee to prohibit hunting and fishing, and nonconsumptive wildlife activities, thereon in order to prevent damage to crops or other land cover, to improvements on the land, to livestock, to the lessee, or to the general public, or closure is necessary to avoid undue interference with carrying forward a departmental or agency program. In the event any such lands are so posted it shall be unlawful for any person to hunt or fish, or pursue nonconsumptive wildlife activities, on any such posted lands. Such lands shall not be open and available for wildlife activities when access could endanger crops on the land or when access could endanger the person accessing the land.

--------

Studio36

Jun 19 06 05:39 am Link

Photographer

Goldblade Photos

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Surreal Eye Studio wrote:
From my personal experience (both photographing and being a drunken sot wandering around 1st Ave at 3am looking for the damn bus stop) I can say that King County and Seattle Metro cops are typically very nice people who just want to make sure nothing bad happens in their territory. 

Bellevue cops, on the other hand....

I grew up in Bellevue so I know all about the cops there.

I do commend you and the model for how you dealt with the cops. At least they seemed to be pretty understanding, and I'm sure you keeping your cool and being cooperative helped a great deal.

What's sad is that, with all of the news media's focus on the busts and investigations revolving around the webmodeling industry as well as sexual preditors in general, I believe some of the public fear it has caused has spilled over into our realm as model photographers. It seems to some that seeing a guy taking photos of a pretty girl is becoming viewed more often as being naughty and suspicious.

It just seems to me that we are starting to have to watch our backs alot more, and that is a sad statement on our society. Maybe if we all can do as you did by keeping our cool when met with similar situations, we can beat some of the prejudice surrounding us at present.

Jun 19 06 06:33 am Link

Photographer

Vito

Brooklyn, New York, US

Besides the possibility that the place may be public property and unable to be used, just apply for a permit? Do they have permits out there? smile

Jun 19 06 07:00 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Vito wrote:
Besides the possibility that the place may be public property and unable to be used, just apply for a permit? Do they have permits out there? smile

Never heard of one in an unincorporated area of the state [outside city or town limits] except for state parks [probably on federal and tribal land as well] and even then ONLY for COMMERCIAL [film and video] productions... and I lived in Spokane and Whitman counties for a total of ca 8 years but also worked all over Eastern WA and west to Ellensberg [Central WA]

If it's public property then it is open to the public UNLESS posted otherwise; if it is private property and NOT POSTED it is assumed to be open to the public [that's why there is limitation of liability in law]; if it is farm land/grazing land leased from the public lands and NOT POSTED then it is assumed to be open to the public.

Studio36

Jun 19 06 07:50 am Link

Photographer

radar

New York, New York, US

Awesome image...  too bad about the location...   try to get a permit to shoot there again... and yes the police sucks...

Jun 19 06 08:03 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I would have been polite as well if I had been busted on what appears to have been private property.  I don't think this falls into the same category as the other busted posts.

Jun 19 06 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Duncan

New York, New York, US

All cops want is respect, if you talk to them decently and with a calm tone you are fine , be honest and forthright. If you raise your voice You might just find yourself in jail or sitting on a Billy stick!

Jun 19 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Duncan wrote:
All cops want is respect...

I believe it was L. Neil Smith who said, "Cops are like your parents. They don't want justice. They just want quiet. If you give them quiet, they probably won't bother you much. If you go thinking they're trying to do what's right and/or fair, you won't get any further with them than most teenagers get with their parents."

M

Jun 19 06 09:46 am Link

Photographer

COLONIAL PHOTO

Calhoun, Georgia, US

See my post on the "since getting busted is becoming vogue" thread. This incident was handled quite well. Cops dont know the law, nor do most prosecutors and judges quite frankly. You only have the rights that you have the money to enforce by hiring a lawyer, and you dont want in the quicksand pit of American "justice" (read Taliban justice when it comes to women, sex, or morals).

Yes i know this has little to do with sex, but any cop or prosecutor will say this was of a sexual nature because of nudity. Yeah, i know, they were all virgins till marriage, taught sunday school, blah blah. Thats the mindset of the state. Read George Orwells 1984, and you willl see how prophetic it was.

So to aviod such crap, just be kissy poo with the cops, most of whom actually like chicks to (but cant admit it). I have a photo somewhere of a bike cop standing by my model in her ass-less blue jeans with a big grin. Most are ok, and just wanna go 10-8 (back in service in Ga.).

I think I gave some good advice from a knowing perspective on my post on the above mentioned thread.

Mr. Cummings and Melissa D were right, but dont credit all this to republicans...the democrats are just as fanatical-they just arent as loud about it.

And Chris....I love your port...Yu da man! added you to my favs. Sounds like youre gonna need to use those "hit and run" tactics I mention in the other thread above.

Jun 19 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Frank Tammen

Sacramento, California, US

It must be truly difficult for the skanks to see some smokin'-hot hussy get photo attention. I have never, ever, seen a guy complain--old or young.

Hell hath no fury as a skank not gettin' any...

Jun 19 06 10:15 am Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I've been looking for killer locations like that in my area but don't even know where to look. You're lucky! I think that shot you got there (that you posted) is OK, but am curious what better shots turned out from the rest of the hour?

Jun 19 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

To Mike Cummings:  That was hilarious!   smile

Jun 19 06 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Mike Cummings wrote:
I assure you, and we had no intent to offend anyone." [but in any case, fuck you pig, I know my rights.]

Paraphrased from chapter 8, page 264 from the ACLU book: How to Deal With Pigs When They Storm Your Shoot hand guide for photographers big_smile

Jun 19 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

So as it turns out, it appears that the location is public land!

So there may be hope yet - I'm calling the county later this afternoon.

Jun 19 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

So as it turns out, it appears that the location is public land!

So there may be hope yet - I'm calling the county later this afternoon.

Probably the best one to contact first would be the county assessor... they have ALL the property records for tax purposes and can tell you who the owner is if it turns out not to be publicly owned property. If it is they can tell you that too. Whatever they tell you try to get it in writing in some form. you may have to pay them a visit and photocopy the stuff yourself... it is a public record, however, that anyone is entitled to see and copy. They should have something like a plat book with survey maps and ownerships indicated.

After you find out, and especially if it is public land, you might want to have a friendly chat with the public liaison officer of whatever police agency ordered you off the place.

Studio36

Jun 19 06 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Already done. Spoke to the county, did a records search online, and it's owned by the King County Public Land Trust and managed by the KC Parks Department. I have a call in to them and am waiting for a call back.

Since access and content are two different things, I'm just going to ask about permission to photograph and leave it at that. They'll presume (rightly, in most cases) that I want to shoot the historic buildings. As such, I actually think there's a chance they'll say sure, since the buildings HAVE undergone a clean-up to make them safe, and there is NO posted no-trespass warnings.

A little annoying is that the cops SHOULD have known that it's public land - and you know, I think they did, since they only made a deal about the nudity. Had I known I had a right to be there, I likely would have politely refused to leave, but, instead, assure them that I would keep all nudity out of the public eye so as to avoid any public complaint.

So we shall see.

Jun 19 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

Carpe Imago Photography

Dousman, Wisconsin, US

It's nice to hear a story, that actually highlights a common sense approach to the problem and an outcome that, while unfortunate, is reasonable.  Reasonable in this case meaning all parties were respectful, understanding, and the final outcome adhered to the letter of the law.

Imagine that.  You treat a potential adversary with respect and intelligence and everyone walks away without hurt feelings.  It's not great drama, but there are a few in MM who could learn from this.  They won't of course, but they could.

Jun 19 06 05:43 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Breaking News! I just got a call back from King County Parks - the whole Preston Mill area is, indeed, public land, and, with the exception of the locked areas, is open for public use. I got the name, title and phone number of the property agent at KCPD, and printed out all the property records. The agent not only told me it was cool to photograph there, but offered to have someone unlock the unsafe areas if I wanted access some time (of course, I didn't mention nude models, so I won't be taking him up on that).

I'm thrilled!

Jun 19 06 05:49 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

Breaking News! I just got a call back from King County Parks - the whole Preston Mill area is, indeed, public land, and, with the exception of the locked areas, is open for public use. I got the name, title and phone number of the property agent at KCPD, and printed out all the property records. The agent not only told me it was cool to photograph there, but offered to have someone unlock the unsafe areas if I wanted access some time (of course, I didn't mention nude models, so I won't be taking him up on that).

I'm thrilled!

Good to know. This is indeed a news worthy of bold texts. You set good example to other photographers. smile

Jun 19 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

I'm thrilled!

Fantastic!!!! Good job, wow a great place to shoot and no cuffs. Sometimes nice guys do finish first.

Jun 20 06 01:28 am Link

Model

Trevasia

Livermore, California, US

I'm thrilled!

Its nice to see someone do their research! Well done!

Jun 20 06 01:36 am Link

Digital Artist

Koray

Ankara, Ankara, Turkey

why doesnt anyone dramatize a shoot being busted by the police?
I know I would if I could....

Jun 20 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Koray wrote:
why doesnt anyone dramatize a shoot being busted by the police?
I know I would if I could....

To what end? Instructional video? Porn?

Jun 20 06 11:43 am Link