Forums > General Industry > Frustrated! (not a "my model wont show" rant)

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Do some of you "amateurs" out there ever feel frustrated with your work? Due to work and the time it takes to schedule/coordinate a shoot I only usually shoot one a month, maybe twice. So in my mind I have this great idea of what I want my portfolio to look like and the shots I want to take, but I feel frustrated because I feel like I dont have the resources to pull something off. (Which I know is probably not right, because if I tried rreaalllyyy hard I could probably find a great team willing to work for low fees)

Just want to rant because Im afraid that the shoot Ive booked for this weekend will fall through wink

Jun 18 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Martin Hazine

Phoenix, Arizona, US

The best way to improve your skills is through a workshop (not one where 5 photographers gather around a model, but one where there is a photographer whose work you like that can show you things)  another way is self portraits.  Self portraits require you to visualize the photographs you are going to end up with and its interesting to see how it compares to the final product.  You could also try assisting other local photographers whose work you like.  There's my 2 cents.  Personally, I have tried the first two suggestions.  Locally, there is also a monthly event where models and photographers gather, not a workshop, but I pickup a few things here and there (just remember to watch other photographers and pickup on some ideas on HOW they photograph - i.e. how they direct the model, how far away they stand, which lens, etc)

Jun 18 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

DavidSouthBeach

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I know exactly how you feel.  On ocassion, I'll send a model to a hair stylist but I'm pretty much on my own at an actual shoot.  It just means concentrating more on factors to improve the shoot -- if you're shooting outdoors and noone is there to hold a reflector, you have to shoot at the maximal time, etc.

Anyway, it just means you have to be a bit more creative and resourceful.  If you have a friend who is a photographer, ask them to come along so you have someone to consult with.

Good luck with the shoot!

David

Jun 18 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

That's a good point Martin (i already take waayy too many photos of myself wink) but maybe to take a class where there's an objective to meet or something to just help me focus my efforts a bit more.

Jun 18 06 07:27 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Perez Imagery

Redlands, California, US

Welcome to the wonderful world of self critisicim...... remember its a process, nothings going to happen over night.... I struggle witht he same vision, pushing my book, i can see it , just need to get it on pixels....

Jun 18 06 07:39 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Who plans or concentrates on a shoot?? Get a model to call you, have her pay you, shoot whatever feels good that day.. No worries, no problems.. Or is that just my way of doing things??

Jun 18 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
Get a model to call you, have her pay you, shoot whatever feels good that day.

I wish big_smile

Jun 18 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher b Smyth

Airdrie, Alberta, Canada

heeheh I like your thinking give me money and lets shoot

Jun 18 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Every now and then I feel the itch to shoot, so i'll contact a model here or on OMP and see what we can create.

Out of four models I had scheduled from here for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, only 1 showed up.

Jun 18 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

rjcarroll

Linden, New Jersey, US

BCI Photo wrote:
Out of four models I had scheduled from here for Friday, Saturday and Sunday, only 1 showed up.

I'd say you did well!

Jun 18 06 08:01 pm Link

Photographer

DavidSouthBeach

Miami Beach, Florida, US

rjcarroll wrote:

I'd say you did well!

LOL.  I agree.

That happens alot -- actually more so from OMP "models" -- I've had some good luck on this site.  I had two scheduled shoots this weekend and one blew it off -- one out of two is not bad.

David

Jun 18 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

So far I'm 2/2 with models (I've had more issues with MUA/Wardrobe people then with models...)

*crosses fingers!*

Jun 18 06 08:04 pm Link

Photographer

Photo Graffix

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

I started out on these sites ( MM and OMP) when in art school.. I found them very helpful.  You will have no shows, but you will also run across some great people on here.  Just be patient.  It takes time if you really want to be good at photography.  I am still an amateur, but getting better.  I cannot tell you how many times i get frustrated b/c I cannot pay models nor pay for a studio, plus i live in bum f**k NC now. ( nyc orig).  I have never used and mua/hairstylist yet.  I don't even know photoshop very well ( i have version 5.5 from art school......).

But all in all i just like photography,  if nothing comes out of it I will still be happy w/ the effort i gave.   You are in NY.... assist someone.    You have more advantages than most people b/c of geography.  Go to art buyers and get critiqued,  even if you are not looking for work they can guide you.  9 out of 10 may tell you no but that one may be the guidance you need. 

Drop me a line sometime if you ever have questions or need advice... I can at least help you from another amateurs point of view

Jun 18 06 09:07 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

I feel your pain.  I also like MartinH's recommendations of selected workshops & self-portraits.

Some other thoughts:

>>>  I do believe that there is a thing I call "pace" -- by that I mean the optimal number of sittings per month.  If I fall below or above my natural pace, I tend to repeat myself, but if I am hitting my pace, I feel comfortable in stretching myself & experimenting.  What is your pace?

>>>  When I first started out in photography, I had an army surplus gas mask bag which I filled with my camera, light meter, spare film, filters, lens cleaners, and other necessary gadgets.  That bag when with me everywhere.  If I saw something interesting while walking to class, I'd snap a picture.  If I was sitting at lunch with friends, I'd snap a picture.  I didn't have formal sittings, but I was constantly making photographs -- I'm maybe make 3-5 exposures a day.

>>>  I'm one of those people who are never satisfied, so I'm always pushing myself.  I want everything to improve every time I pick up the camera.  But I approach it as a cerebral exercise:  I analyze what worked, what didn't, what I should have done, what I would do differently next time, etc.

>>>  I also "deconstruct" all the photographs I see -- how were they lit, what did the photographer communicate to the model, what would I do differently, what elements worked, what elements didn't work, etc.?  That helps me a lot.

>>>  I work hard to build a little local artistic community here, and I try to talk with local photographers & models often.  I encourage folks to share the pictures they are making, and sometimes, we even do sittings together (2-3 photographers with 2-3 models).  That helps break me out of my comfort zone.

>>>  Give yourself "assignments":
    o  Three image sequence
    o  "Creepy"
    o  Surreal
    o  Motion / movement
    Whatever

Bottom line:  feeling frustrated with your photography, you need to do two things:  make more images & try different things.

Jun 19 06 09:57 am Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
>>>  Give yourself "assignments":
    o  Three image sequence
    o  "Creepy"
    o  Surreal
    o  Motion / movement
    Whatever

Bottom line:  feeling frustrated with your photography, you need to do two things:  make more images & try different things.

Good advice, thanks!

Jun 19 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

I'd go with the workshop or local college photo class. Your work needs direction. No style or direction is visbale in it. Quality seems OK but just lackluster in general. Aimlessly shooting won't help that unless you get lucky or have years. get instructional help. Or at least start looking at great photographers work and try to see what about the images attract you to them.
Mike

Jun 19 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

Samantha_Gatt

Brooklyn, New York, US

Mike Walker wrote:
I'd go with the workshop or local college photo class. Your work needs direction. No style or direction is visbale in it. Quality seems OK but just lackluster in general. Aimlessly shooting won't help that unless you get lucky or have years. get instructional help. Or at least start looking at great photographers work and try to see what about the images attract you to them.
Mike

The photographs that I have here are only a small portion of the images I have actually taken--I am much more accustomed to taking photographs of places and things, not so much people.

A bit harsh, though I do agree with some of things things you have said. Thanks for the honest input.

Jun 19 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

TKat

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Didn’t read the whole thing maybe it was already suggested.. try assisting "larger" photographers get to know people...communicate... its Hard work work work... step by step.. getting better and better , everyone wants to be the best but there is always someone better..

Jun 19 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I am an amateur too, and I know how challenging it can be to make everything fit.  I've had a lot of luck with models from this site, but I also shoot all sorts of people who aren't models at all - I shoot other photographers (five to date, with plans for two more in the immediate future), friends (several of whom are in my portfolio), family members (three so far), co-workers (six), etc.  Don't forget that anyone can be the subject of a photograph.  And I can tell you this - practicing on all the regular folks who aren't model perfect and creating dynamic images with them will make shooting with the model perfect people much easier. 

Ask everyone you know and interact with to let you photograph them.  You might be surprised how many will say yes. 

Good luck!  smile

Jun 19 06 07:32 pm Link

Model

joey25

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Dude, just go with it--this is an art, not a science.  Get a model, grab a camera and just let your creativity flow.

Some people will love what you shoot; others will hate it. 

Who cares?

Jun 20 06 11:59 am Link