Forums > General Industry > Your career vs. Your Modeling

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

What you show on the internet could effect your career.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/16/naked. … index.html

I know some employers who do google searches on Names and their photos, also facebook.com and myspace.com.

So what you shoot could detrimental if it ends up on the internet.

Mark

Jun 17 06 09:40 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
What you show on the internet could effect your career.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/06/16/naked. … index.html

I know some employers who do google searches on Names and their photos, also facebook.com and myspace.com.

So what you shoot could detrimental if it ends up on the internet.

Mark

This problem has been around a lot longer than the internet.....back in 1971 I did a shoot of very sexy friend who wanted to appear in a men's mag......she worked for a major insurance company full time.....we did the shoot.....her photos did appear and about a month after she was called into her supervisors office, a male, and told her job was on the line because it reflected on the company.....

As far as I know at the time that question had never come up or we just didn't get the info we do today thanks to the internet.....but we went to a lawyer....needless to say it was like goliath and david.....the insurance company had a whole legal department.......but during the course of the litigation one of her supervisors bosses....a higher up in the company....basically came on to her one day at work....to the point of bringing in the magazine and making some sexual comments about what "he could do for her"....both in private and on the job......

Our lawyer just jumped all over that....and the company settled out of court.....and she kept her position.....her supervisor and his boss got canned....

Jun 17 06 09:55 am Link

Model

Shellane

Orlando, Florida, US

Thank you for that little piece of info. Right now I am trying so hard to be selective on what I shoot. There are so many requests for Nude Modeling for "Fine Art" projects. As a high profile instructor here in Orlando, I'd hate to think that I made a poor judgement in selecting a paid assignment just to later have me fired. Thank you again.

Jun 17 06 12:20 pm Link

Photographer

markEdwardPhoto

Trumbull, Connecticut, US

Shellane wrote:
Thank you for that little piece of info. Right now I am trying so hard to be selective on what I shoot. There are so many requests for Nude Modeling for "Fine Art" projects. As a high profile instructor here in Orlando, I'd hate to think that I made a poor judgement in selecting a paid assignment just to later have me fired. Thank you again.

As a employer myself, I do alot of scouring of the web to see what applicants are doing. I feel that everyone bring a little something of the personel life to work, how will that effect me and my businesses.

I know that many companies don't want to tarnish their branding or reputation because one of their employees might do something (though legal) that might offend their clients or customer base. So, if that act is counter to the million of dollars spend for the right branding then they would rather remove that person.

I just wish that everyone understand that in todays day when a image is taken whether with film (and scanned) or digitally it was the chance of making it to the web and the rest of the world. These images can be on there for years and years because some might copy it and use elsewhere on the web.

Good luck.

M

Jun 17 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

i think your personal life is your personal life and your place of business has no right to delve into what is private and has nothing to do with your job. whether or not someone brings their private life into their workplace is something that should remain to be seen, and i think it is completely and totally unfair to make assumptions about someone based on what you have found by snooping. people used to assume that because i had pink hair and my nose pierced that i was a moron who didnt work as hard as anyone else, when actually i am very intelligent and i work harder than most people my age. if i want to take nude pictures in my spare time that has absolutely nothing to do with most jobs, and it would in no way, shape or form reflect on any company i work for unless there was a part of my job that involved actively searching for pictures of me on the internet.  i have been treated badly because of the way i look and my "lifestyle" for years, and its not fair. i would find it very unprofessional of a company to look me up on myspace to decide my employment.

Jun 17 06 05:25 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

baelie wrote:
i think your personal life is your personal life and your place of business has no right to delve into what is private and has nothing to do with your job.

And there is the conundrum....once you post your photos on the internet or have them published in magzine sold to the public....your personal life is now public domain....about the only thing you can protect yourself from is copyrite infringement...and even that is a tough road to hoe....

In essence I agree with you....employers should have no right to affect your private life.....sadly in todays climate of mega corporations writing their own rules that right went out the window....recently I left a such a corporate entity after a running battle about being a photographer in my own time.....the company felt I should ask for permission to work part time and it was their pervue as to whether they would give me "permission" or not.....

My response being the outspoken Vietnam Veteran that I am was....f**k you!....you hired me knowing that is what I did....I've been a photgrapher for over 20 year and now you're telling I need your permission.....f**k you again and kiss my ass!......you know that went over "real big"......they actually left me alone for a while...becuse I was threatening a lawsuit because I felt my civil rights were being violated and privacy was being infringed on.....but in the end they found a way around it.....and hounded me and hounded me until one day I just didn't think working for this company was justifed in terms of bullshit and money paid...so I left....

Jun 17 06 08:16 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Lester

Atlanta, Georgia, US

That's why most figure models use stage names. "Damn, she sure looks like me, but it ain't me!"

Jun 18 06 12:30 am Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

Some flight attendants with the air line I used to work for were fired after apppearing nude in Playboy. It was because they had on the company uniform in some of the pictures. The employment ageement they signed listed strict rules about use of the uniform.

Jun 18 06 10:16 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Los Angeles, California, US

A bit on the flip side, I was somewhat shocked at the myspace page of my supervisor. (I am a teacher.) Did not make me think any less of them. I was just surprised. I have never let them know I have seen it, but it makes me smile just to know they are a far more interesting person than I would have ever imagined!! wink

Jun 18 06 10:33 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

markEdwardPhoto wrote:
As a employer myself, I do alot of scouring of the web to see what applicants are doing. I feel that everyone bring a little something of the personel life to work, how will that effect me and my businesses.

I know that many companies don't want to tarnish their branding or reputation because one of their employees might do something (though legal) that might offend their clients or customer base. So, if that act is counter to the million of dollars spend for the right branding then they would rather remove that person.

I just wish that everyone understand that in todays day when a image is taken whether with film (and scanned) or digitally it was the chance of making it to the web and the rest of the world. These images can be on there for years and years because some might copy it and use elsewhere on the web.

Good luck.

M

As someone who has nudes, implieds, and light fetish images in your portfolio, you are one who "scours the web to see what applicants are doing"? And you warn people about images making it to the web? That's a bit hypocritical in my opinion.

-TH

Jun 18 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Timothy

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Here's my take on the matter... LIGHTEN UP AMERICA. If a model or a woman wants to pose nude after the age of 18 years, it's not a big deal. This is my opinion and my opinion only. But for cryin' out loud, firing a teacher for topless photos is a crock of shit.

Jun 18 06 10:40 pm Link

Model

Mayanlee

New City, New York, US

Unfair, yes. Fact of life, yes. Colleges and universities are now scouring myspace profiles of potential applicants to determine "character" and some are denied admission based upon blogs and comments Admissions feels are "inappropriate" or "contrary" to the institution's philosophy. Unfair? Maybe, but ultimately it's their prerogative.

Most of us take a fairly short-term view on our actions. Thinking down the road of ramifications isn't a strong point it seems nowadays. Maybe it's not such a bad thing to have to think about what one does or says before we actually do it or say it.

Jun 18 06 10:55 pm Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

Mayanlee wrote:
Most of us take a fairly short-term view on our actions. Thinking down the road of ramifications isn't a strong point it seems nowadays. Maybe it's not such a bad thing to have to think about what one does or says before we actually do it or say it.

or at least be smart enough to set all blogs as friends only, lol

Jun 18 06 10:59 pm Link