Forums > General Industry > Money Problems?

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

I don’t understand what the problem is when it comes to money. If you are a photographer that has to pay a model for a shoot is this not included in the budget. It generally works like this, you are asked to give a bid by a client to shoot a job, you give him a quote witch includes your fee, expenses, and rights to the image. Then the client accepts or rejects your quote. The client picks the model they want to use and the models cost is added on to the expenses. If the client picks a model who charges too much than that’s there responsibility. If you are not charging the client enough then that’s your fault not the models. I believe you should get whatever you can in this business, that goes for both models and photographers, the only way you are charging too much is if your not getting hired because you cost too much. If this photography thing is just a hobby and you have to pay models to pose for you tough luck your not in the business nobody is paying you and you are probly just trying to get your models naked, so stop complaining. If you are a model looking for a photographer for portfolio work put a little effort in and do your homework there are plenty of photographers out there who have decent rates just look around, or you could find a photographer who is just starting out, TFP is a great way to get some experience in front of the camera.

Jul 20 05 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Fantasy On Film

Detroit, Michigan, US

Very thoughtful, nice post...in my view.

Oliver Cole

Jul 20 05 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I do not know if anyone else has this problem for I have neurology issue.  But when you clump all the type together like it was written by a 14 year old it is hard to read.

Somebody translate my dog is done.

Jul 21 05 01:18 am Link

Photographer

W__

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

I think it is something about witchcraft - which  - I don't think we could ever talk too much about...

Jul 21 05 01:51 am Link

Photographer

Michael Gundelach

Hamburg, Hamburg, Germany

Posted by Scott Meyer: 
.... If this photography thing is just a hobby and you have to pay models to pose for you tough luck your not in the business nobody is paying you and you are probly just trying to get your models naked, so stop complaining...

I agree in most points, beside the quoted above... There are several reasons to photograph (naked) women. I do mine for art reasons. If you are not an artist, photographer or some celebrety you have to take all cost by yourself...
I can't call myself any of that. I'm a self taught GWC who is try to climb the ladder...
I'm not complaining - there are less expensive hobbies. I just want to go off the general...

Jul 21 05 01:58 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Posted by Scott Meyer: 
I don’t understand what the problem is when it comes to money.

If you are a photographer that has to pay a model for a shoot is this not included in the budget.

It generally works like this, you are asked to give a bid by a client to shoot a job, you give him a quote witch includes your fee, expenses, and rights to the image. Then the client accepts or rejects your quote. The client picks the model they want to use and the models cost is added on to the expenses.

If the client picks a model who charges too much than that’s there responsibility. If you are not charging the client enough then that’s your fault not the models. I believe you should get whatever you can in this business, that goes for both models and photographers, the only way you are charging too much is if your not getting hired because you cost too much.

If this photography thing is just a hobby and you have to pay models to pose for you tough luck your not in the business nobody is paying you and you are probly just trying to get your models naked, so stop complaining.

If you are a model looking for a photographer for portfolio work put a little effort in and do your homework there are plenty of photographers out there who have decent rates just look around, or you could find a photographer who is just starting out, TFP is a great way to get some experience in front of the camera.

I agree with Mark. Use the return key, please.

I'm still not sure what you actually wanted to say. The agency work is a business and it's price that matters. Yes.

Models can find TFP shoots. Yes.

And us amateurs are suckers and we should pay models, because we just want to see naked chicks anyway? No, unless one's photography is so bad a model can't use it for her portfolio.

Jul 21 05 07:05 am Link

Photographer

CreativeSandBoxStudio

London, England, United Kingdom

The industry or the business of  photography is business. Stop thinking in terms of pretty pictures and patting yourself on your back, you'll be eaten alive in this industry, so but the camera down and take s some business classes or really study those clients you want to weork with and express terms & conditions......remember expenses & creative fees are two different things if you want to make a living in this industry

Jul 21 05 07:16 am Link

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

Posted by Hartsoe: 

Posted by Scott Meyer: 
.... If this photography thing is just a hobby and you have to pay models to pose for you tough luck your not in the business nobody is paying you and you are probly just trying to get your models naked, so stop complaining...

I agree in most points, beside the quoted above... There are several reasons to photograph (naked) women. I do mine for art reasons. If you are not an artist, photographer or some celebrety you have to take all cost by yourself...
I can't call myself any of that. I'm a self taught GWC who is try to climb the ladder...
I'm not complaining - there are less expensive hobbies. I just want to go off the general...

I might of been a little harsh with that comment, there are a lot of artists out there who shoot nudes and have to pay for a good model, but I just  dont see a lot of them on this site.

(spaces or those of you who havent read a book lately)

I do understand that you have to start somewhere (I still have a lot to learn) its just seems like on every thread someone is complaining about what models or photographers are charging.

Jul 21 05 08:00 am Link

Photographer

Scott Meyer

Cincinnati, Iowa, US

Posted by marksora: 
I do not know if anyone else has this problem for I have neurology issue.  But when you clump all the type together like it was written by a 14 year old it is hard to read.

Maybe you should get your dog to write your next post

Jul 21 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Scott Meyer: 

Posted by marksora: 

Maybe you should get your dog to write your next post

Sure,  Hanachan has more logic than most people here.  Could be fun as a balance to Jack.  At least she knows how to use the edit and return buttons.

Jul 21 05 08:50 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

This business is refreshingly different from most in that so much can be accomlished without money, the great oppressor of creativity.

Let's all be grateful for that!

Jul 21 05 08:53 am Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

Posted by Scott Meyer: 

Books use paragraphs. Plus, this is the Web, where it's a lot harder to read dense text than in a book.

Jul 21 05 09:00 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by JvR: 

Posted by Scott Meyer: 

Books use paragraphs. Plus, this is the Web, where it's a lot harder to read dense text than in a book.

It will be just as someone else who writes this way.  He is one of the best photographers,  best writers,  and one of the smartest here.

But he writes this way and NO ONE usually responds to him.
You teach them to fish but .........

Jul 21 05 09:13 am Link

Photographer

Art Smith

Columbia, Missouri, US

I see a lot of this here and elsewhere...

Both models and photographers are looking to make money off of each other. 

Yeah, right.  Neither of us has enough money to rub two nickels together regularly, let alone to support someone else.  The way to make money is from the CLIENT.  Models and photographers need to work TOGETHER as a team to get clients.  That's where the money is.

-Art

Jul 21 05 09:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

Hmm...  I have what some refer to as a "job."  That takes care of all of my money problems...  some people may want to try it.  I also charge for my services though the correct means, ie, an agency (took me a while to grasp this concept myself).  Some of you may wish to try that as well...  Photographers, not making any money?  Charge the people that want your services, use friends (the real ones) or family as test models...

Jul 21 05 10:13 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Damn, after looking at that, I think I may have to look into writing advice columns...

Jul 21 05 10:14 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

if only I could spell...

Jul 21 05 10:14 am Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

Posted by Reese: 
Hmm...  I have what some refer to as a "job."  That takes care of all of my money problems...  some people may want to try it.

What is this "job" thing? What's the URL?

Jul 21 05 10:21 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Scott Meyer: 
If you are a photographer that has to pay a model for a shoot is this not included in the budget.

Hmm... NOPE!

Jul 21 05 10:23 am Link

Photographer

Jim Goodwin

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Posted by theda: 

Posted by Reese: 
Hmm...  I have what some refer to as a "job."  That takes care of all of my money problems...  some people may want to try it.

What is this "job" thing? What's the URL?

I don't recommend it.  I tried it once and didn't like it.  Too much work.

Jul 22 05 07:47 pm Link