Forums > General Industry > What magazine have you been published in?

Photographer

Evil vs Hide

Los Angeles, California, US

I noticed that lots of models and photographers list magazines where their worked have been published but they (not all of course) don't bother to say the issue # ...I am not asking for the page but only for the issue numbera and a link or something. For real, anyone can invent magazine names or say I have been publishe here or there...why not prove it somehow. I have also seen models and photographers makinglike a cover of a magazine and saying "I got published in this mag" and when you look them up you cant find them...is it because they are delusional or because something happened and indeed they are there but the system is busy smile Also I have seen people putting in their modeling or photography credits and accomplishments some prizes they've won that are not related to what they do now...is this fair?
what do you guys think about it?

Jul 20 05 10:01 pm Link

Makeup Artist

EmElle Makeup and Hair

San Jose, California, US

Well, in some cases, I have no idea which issue it was.  And, once I've ripped the pages out of the mag, I may not have the mag anymore. (once it's shredded, why keep it?)

If anyone wants proof of the mags I've been published in, they can set an appointment with me to view my tearsheet portfolio, and in many cases, my name is on the page.

Also, whenever possible, on my real online portfolio, I credit the team members.  I figure that lends some credibility to the tearsheet's existance.  Plus, you have names you can look up and simply ask for references.

Oh, and if anyone can makeup up a mag name, they can makeup an issue number also.

Jul 20 05 10:17 pm Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by Evil vs Hide: 
I noticed that lots of models and photographers list magazines where their worked have been published but they (not all of course) don't bother to say the issue # ...I am not asking for the page but only for the issue numbera and a link or something. For real, anyone can invent magazine names or say I have been publishe here or there...why not prove it somehow. I have also seen models and photographers makinglike a cover of a magazine and saying "I got published in this mag" and when you look them up you cant find them...is it because they are delusional or because something happened and indeed they are there but the system is busy smile Also I have seen people putting in their modeling or photography credits and accomplishments some prizes they've won that are not related to what they do now...is this fair?

I'm more concerned with you.

Are you for real with that portfolio, or are you another jokester? You could have dropped the camera and gotten better photos by mistake for your port within the past 2 months.

Seriously, spend time worrying about something that involves you.

Jul 20 05 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

I just keep the tears in my hard copy port. I do not bother to list anything here since my work is not on par with most here.

Jul 20 05 10:27 pm Link

Photographer

StevenNoreyko

Austin, Texas, US

Some people will pad their resumes - what can we do about it? Nothing.

Do I care if other people do this? Nope.

Am I gonna do it? Nope.

Jul 20 05 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

What I think is if the photog has a known reputation, even if it's not super huge and he/she shows that they can consistantly produce high end magazine quality images, I doubt I'd ask.

Now if a photog showed average work and was not known by anyone, there is still a good chance of them being published in a smaller market area. Their work need not be fabulous for them to be published in quality area magazines.

If their work is really shit and not even worthy of being in the local strip club mag but their making claims to Playboy or Hustler. Yeah, I'd question that.

Any skilled photog can tell if another persons work is publication worthy or not. If a photog is making false publication claims it doesn't take long to find them out. The industry has a strange way of bringing the truth to light.

If you really must know (and I don't know why it matters to another photog) and if you can't find the info on your own then just ask nicely that you've heard of that magazine but can't seem to find that issue. They'll either tell you, or if it's fake then they'll get really annoyed that your asking.

Jul 20 05 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

True True  just ask...

Jul 20 05 10:31 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Why would you be so paranoid about what other photographers shoot or don’t shoot?

The only true idiot who cares if you've been published is an editor.

The rest of the rat race has a real life.

Jul 20 05 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Are you for real with that portfolio, or are you another jokester? You could have dropped the camera and gotten better photos by mistake for your port within the past 2 months.

Geez, I should have looked first before wasting my time. I plead guilty of breaking my own law that I tell others to follow. Must be the heat!

Jul 20 05 10:43 pm Link

Model

Lisa Fortier

Cocoa, Florida, US

I don't have it listed on my page, but "Vero Beach" Magazine, March 2005 issue.  Same picture in the magazine won 3rd place in the Vero Beach Art Show...
I figured since i didn't have it on my page I may as well put it here.  Seemed as good a place as any.  ;o)

Jul 20 05 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Evil vs Hide

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Evil vs Hide: 

Yes I am a jokester...I didn't know people can be such big assholes ...who are you to judge me? Is my question in the Critique section? I thought so..

Jul 20 05 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

jO3Design

Don't you all just love visiting a photog's profile, only to find a HUGE list of "credits" and not recognizing a single company from the list?

*whistles*

Jul 21 05 07:54 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

I say...who cares?  My work speaks for itself and I don't feel I have to answer to any other photographers.  If COMPANIES want to find out who I have published with, I am more than happy to give them the info...but for other photographers...as my mom used to say..."nun a ya beezwax".

wink

Jul 21 05 08:01 am Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

FHM - July 2005, Teeze - Winter 2004, a few local ones.

I'm a n00b when it comes to being in magazines.  No one wants to give up thier contacts.  Greedy bastards!

Jul 21 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Anthony Citrano

Venice, California, US

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

I'm a n00b when it comes to being in magazines.  No one wants to give up thier contacts.  Greedy bastards!

I have found that the more successful someone is, the more open they are about such things.  Not just in photography - but in business & in life.  It's generally those who are less successful who feel like it's a zero sum game - and vice versa.

Jul 21 05 12:01 pm Link

Photographer

David Holloway

Liberty Lake, Washington, US

Teeze- Winter 2004.

It's posted in my MM port.

Jul 21 05 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

photoguy42

Toledo, Ohio, US

I haven't appeared in a magazine...but one of my photos does grace the liner notes for the latest cd of an industrial band called Firewerk from the Detroit, Mi area.

Jul 21 05 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Glamour Studio /Gary

Posted by Anthony Citrano: 

Posted by * Visual Mindscapes *: 

I have found that the more successful someone is, the more open they are about such things.  Not just in photography - but in business & in life.  It's generally those who are less successful who feel like it's a zero sum game - and vice versa.

I agree with Anthony. In most cases one who is successful will help others who ask. They are confident and not afraid of competition. Although I know a few who will give nothing.

It's good to share/give information, networking. That newbie that asked something once may someday rise to the top and then you'll be asking. Will they share it with you? Well, did you share with them when they asked you? Like the saying goes, what goes around, comes around.

Jul 21 05 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Weldphoto

Charleston, South Carolina, US

All the magazines in which I've been published are out of business. They died during the Great Depression and never came back to life. Does that mean I'm not a real photographer?  Damn... now how am I going to impress people...

Jul 21 05 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

urban prospect

New York, New York, US

Posted by XtremeArtists: 

Posted by Evil vs Hide: 

Ouch caustic.......

Jul 21 05 05:46 pm Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

Eh, the bulk of my stuff was from 2000 - 2002 in Atlanta.
Which means they're rotting in a box in my fathers garage somewhere. I'm surprised I didn't toss the stuff out after I went into "retirement."

Jul 21 05 06:14 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

Posted by Anthony Citrano: 
I have found that the more successful someone is, the more open they are about such things.  Not just in photography - but in business & in life.   

Give me your contacts then, so I can contact them about thier contacts!  lol

Jul 21 05 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

Halcyon 7174 NYC

New York, New York, US

2600: The Hacker Quarterly

Though, not my pictures.

Jul 21 05 07:07 pm Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

As listed on my port (with pics), Cosplex (A Japanese-based magazine).  It's slowed in circulation (it now only goes into printing for focus on special events), but the photog who submitted my pics is considering publishing an another cosplay book and may use some of my pictures for that. *crosses fingers*

Jul 21 05 10:14 pm Link

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

Posted by Evil vs Hide: 
....For real, anyone can invent magazine names or say I have been publishe here or there...why not prove it somehow.....

I've been published in many magazines .... in my MIND! Okay, the cat's out of the bag.  I'm not good enough to be published in any magazine, let alone a school newsletter.  You found me out!  I'm just a GWC with a pinhole camera!  I can rest easy now that this dark secret is off my chest!

https://www.fyhglamphoto.com/IE050521ARUBG987/NatalieWht11b.jpg

On a more serious note, there's nothing wrong with the question.  A photographer's portfolio shouldn't define what types of questions he's allowed to ask online.  I didn't see any bombast or hubris in the post.  It was just a question.  If anyone doesn't want to answer it, they don't have to.  smile  regards.

Jul 22 05 01:57 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 
On a more serious note, there's nothing wrong with the question.  A photographer's portfolio shouldn't define what types of questions he's allowed to ask online.  I didn't see any bombast or hubris in the post.  It was just a question.  If anyone doesn't want to answer it, they don't have to.  smile  regards.

They haven't uploaded a single photo in 2 months, yet question the authenticity of others. That merits a comment considering the quality of work displayed.

Jul 22 05 02:04 am Link

Photographer

XtremeArtists

So there :-P

Jul 22 05 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Terrill

Marion, North Carolina, US

We all love seeing our photographs being published but it gets to a point where some publications just don't apply.  I'm published just about every month in Tactical Knives, Blade Magazine and Knife Illustrated.  I also have a coffee table book on Japanese Military Handguns.  These are all national publications but I don't think too many models check them out (or much less even care). 

Jul 22 05 11:21 am Link

Photographer

alexwh

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I have been published in Time (a cover) the NY Times, the Los Angeles Times, The Chicago Sun Times, the Guardian, Stern, TV Guide (many covers) Reader's Digest, Spin, Esquire and even a photograph of writer William Gibson in Vanity Fair. In Canada I have had stuff in virtually all the magazines. But I am most proud of my cover photo (and back cover in the same issue) in the The Hosta Journal which is published three times a year by the American Hosta Society for which I am a member. This cover features the species hosta, Hosta nigrescens which I took in my Vancouver garden.
https://www.modelmayhem.com/pics/20050722/2/42e11ed115dc1.jpg

Jul 22 05 11:36 am Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Posted by Terrill: 
We all love seeing our photographs being published but it gets to a point where some publications just don't apply.  I'm published just about every month in Tactical Knives, Blade Magazine and Knife Illustrated.  I also have a coffee table book on Japanese Military Handguns.  These are all national publications but I don't think too many models check them out (or much less even care).   

Yeah, but my Dad definitely wants your autograph *LOL*  He's been knife collecting for a long time now.

Jul 22 05 11:45 am Link

Model

emmakate

no good asking me what issues iv been publishedin......i just rip the tears out and thats that BUT any one(proffesional) can mail me and i will gladley give the agency contact that i went through to gain the work (only if it is a genuine queary)

emma kate

Jul 22 05 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

America's Most Wanted ...

Jul 23 05 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

nick latino

Tucson, Arizona, US

I have had my photo and articles published a dozen times...in a bowling magazine back when I ran a bowling center.

Don't count does it?  Didn't think so....

Jul 23 05 08:44 pm Link

Photographer

FYH Photo

Santa Clara, California, US

Posted by Terrill: 

Hahahaha!  That's COOL!  I'd love to see your book on Japanese Military Handguns.  I've been looking for a Hamada pistol (a relative, you know).  But they're extremely rare.   Yes, I never mention the publications that have nothing to do with modeling, except to clients that would hire me for such work.  Here is one of my shots of a custom chromed bullpup sniper rifle that was published in Small Arms.  A blued version of this same item appeared in American Rifleman. 
https://www.fyhglamphoto.com/FY8257103AU7/Ironwood%20SG2000%20Chrome%20FrontA.jpg
Heck, photographers shoot (pun intended) whatever the clients asks them to shoot.  wink 

Jul 24 05 12:40 am Link

Model

Cynthia Leigh

Orlando, Florida, US

Posted by F.Y. Hamada: 

Posted by Terrill: 

Very Nice.
Hahahaha!  That's COOL!  I'd love to see your book on Japanese Military Handguns.  I've been looking for a Hamada pistol (a relative, you know).  But they're extremely rare.   Yes, I never mention the publications that have nothing to do with modeling, except to clients that would hire me for such work.  Here is one of my shots of a custom chromed bullpup sniper rifle that was published in Small Arms.  A blued version of this same item appeared in American Rifleman. 
https://www.fyhglamphoto.com/FY8257103AU7/Ironwood%20SG2000%20Chrome%20FrontA.jpg
Heck, photographers shoot (pun intended) whatever the clients asks them to shoot.  wink   

Jul 24 05 02:02 pm Link