Forums > General Industry > TFCD = Sweat equity

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

I view TFCD a lot like sweat equity in which one increases the value of their home through their own hard work vs. paying others to do the work.

Jun 16 06 04:26 pm Link

Model

Idaho

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I have done a lot of TFP, but I am beginning to think that paying for the pictures outright with a reputable photographer would have been better. Granted, I learned a lot by shooting for free, but I wasted a lot of time.

Jun 16 06 04:29 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Idaho Edokpayi wrote:
I have done a lot of TFP, but I am beginning to think that paying for the pictures outright with a reputable photographer would have been better. Granted, I learned a lot by shooting for free, but I wasted a lot of time.

DING DING DING !!!!!..we have a winner ladies and gentlemen.....

Jun 16 06 04:32 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

rp_photo wrote:
I view TFCD a lot like sweat equity in which one increases the value of their home through their own hard work vs. paying others to do the work.

obviously you haven't seen the thousands upon thousands of TFP gone wrong threads.....

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jun 16 06 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

EA Photographics

Reading, Pennsylvania, US

I think it boils down to the level of committment someone is willing to invest in themselves and their craft.  When I was just starting out, I did not have any money to pay models and was not a very talented photographer.  I had to beg and plead to find models willing to shoot TFP with me.  Not to stereotype as their are clearly major exceptions to EVERY rule, but it is my experience that TFP work tends to attract people on BOTH sides of the camera that do not yet bring enough to the table to justify a fee.

If a model has little or no prior modeling experience and is not the VERY rare "natural" that just instinctively knows how to move and play to a camera, she will not command very much in the marketplace.  If she is only average looking or is truly stunning but awkward and unappealing to the camera, they will never be in a position to charge much.

Similarly, if a photographer is inexperienced, just starting out, or has not yet mastered the intracasies of lighting, composition, photoshop, etc, he does not offer much to entice a model to want to shoot with him for free.  As a photographer (or model) matures and grows into their craft, they offer more to those that understand and know how to capture and capitalize on that.  If you cannot offer an improvement to the other person's portfolio by shooting with them, you have no reason to expect them to want to shoot with you for free.  Why trade down?  ALWAYS trade up!  If someone's work would instantly elevate you to a new plane and brings you to a new level, what is that worth?

Adam

Jun 16 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Idaho Edokpayi wrote:

On average, TFCD probably helps photographers more than models because of their greater control of the outcome.

A model benefits the most when a TFCD shoot or two takes them from camera phone images to those good enough to interest paying or even higher-quality TFCD photographers. Therefore, if all goes well, a model will not do TFCD very long.

A photographer can shoot TFCD much longer, evolving in their skills while meeting the needs of a stream of newer models. Once the photographer has truly arrived at their destination, it is time to consider charging.

So for models, TFCD is ideally a quick launch to better things, while for photographers it is a loner-term part of the learning process.

TFCD photographers in their ideal form are perhaps the most noble. They look for models that are less-than-polished, and make all partites look better by making images better than either of their last shoots.

Jun 16 06 04:50 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
obviously you haven't seen the thousands upon thousands of TFP gone wrong threads.....

Thousands upon thousands of marriages go wrong. Does that mean marriage is a bad institution?

Both take honesty, commitment, and patience to succeed.

Jun 16 06 04:52 pm Link

Photographer

RockstarVanity

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

I can appreciate a really experienced photographer not wanting to work with a new model for free, or a really experienced model not wanting to work with a new photographer for free, but if both parties are at a pretty similar level of experience and the shoot is more of a collaboration, it can be great fun as well as great experience, and everyone comes away with something (unless it all goes down the pan, but the better the planning, the less likely that is to happen).

Jun 16 06 05:16 pm Link