Forums > General Industry > body image

Photographer

ryan widger

Detroit, Alabama, US

i am headed to norway tommrow to work on a commision for a book that focuses on body image and virtual representation. they are sending me to a clinic there to photograph people with eating disorders...i know that their intentions are good and it is a serious topic but i can't help but feeling expolitive. although these disorders are nothing new for me i am curious if anyone out there has done this kind of work before and how to make the people im shooting feel comfortable...that im not there to make it worse.

Jul 20 05 09:17 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

I haven't, but there are parts of the great book 'Girl Culture' dedicated to girls dealing with those issues. I forgot the photographer's name, but you can find it on Amazon.com or BN.com.

By the way, if it's for a book that's meant to enlighten and inform, I don't see what's exploitative about it. If it's for a drug company wanting to push some kind of wonder drug, it could be.

Jul 20 05 09:20 pm Link

Photographer

ryan widger

Detroit, Alabama, US

it's supposed to inform and hopefully add to a process of healing, i guess i feel kinda of weird getting paid to do it.

Jul 20 05 09:22 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by ryan widger: 
it's supposed to inform and hopefully add to a process of healing, i guess i feel kinda of weird getting paid to do it.

I'm tempted to say you just feel wierd because getting paid to do something so unexploitive happens so infrequently.  My advice is to go do beautiful/effective/informative images and accept the payment as the windfall of particularly good karma. 

Jul 20 05 09:29 pm Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

It would be good to show another opinion.

I have primarily seen thinness glamourized...especially in the pro-ana sites, which are very scary.

However, anorexia is only one eating disorder one gets hospitalized for. Many bulimics are average weight, and appear relatively normal, until you see their teeth.

This will be a powerful experience, and it is probably good you feel a bit of ambivalence towards it. Do not let that stop you from doing it.

Jul 20 05 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

I am very concerned with this issue of body image.  Great thread idea.

Jul 21 05 12:41 am Link

Makeup Artist

Reese

Newport News, Virginia, US

what the?!

Jul 21 05 09:47 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Posted by Reese: 
what the?!

What the what?

Glad to see Miss Reese.   Look at that beautiful smile.

Jul 21 05 09:51 am Link

Photographer

Marcus J. Ranum

MORRISDALE, Pennsylvania, US

Posted by ryan widger: 
i know that their intentions are good and it is a serious topic but i can't help but feeling expolitive.

Anything with an agenda is going to be "exploitive" or manipulative. I think the question you're dealing with is whether it's an agenda you can get behind, or not. There's some great photography out there that was produced because the photographer put himself artistically behind the agenda - Ansel Adams' Yosemite photos, Eugene Smith's Japan photos, James Nachtwey's war photos, etc.

The only place I'd have trouble with it would be if the subjects didn't ALSO share the agenda you and your principles shared. I.e.: if you were going to a concentration camp to do photos of how happy the prisoners were, then you'd be committing propaganda. If your subjects share your agenda, then all you need to do to make them comfortable is tell them, "I share your agenda, let's do this."

If you can adopt, accept, and internalize the agenda, then your photos will be much more powerful. If you can't adopt, accept, and internalize the agenda - then don't do it.

mjr.

Jul 21 05 10:11 am Link