Forums > General Industry > Flat Rate Translation Please

Photographer

GDS Photos

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi, I am an English photographer and shoot in the USA sometimes.  A model has quoted me rates for a shoot and when questioned as to what they were for, ie level/time, she answered "they are flat rates".  What does this mean?

Jun 16 06 02:19 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

To me it means the price to do the shoot. But before I made the assumption, I would sask her exactly what she means.

Jun 16 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

gdsandy wrote:
Hi, I am an English photographer and shoot in the USA sometimes.  A model has quoted me rates for a shoot and when questioned as to what they were for, ie level/time, she answered "they are flat rates".  What does this mean?

FLAT RATE
Definition
A price per unit [hour;day;week; or per item or service] which remains constant regardless of the total number of units purchased.

As opposed to a sliding or variable rate; or a discount rate.

If they quoted you by the hour [or day or half day] that is the rate regardless of the number of hours or other variables not stated separately [e.g. travel]. If they quoted you by the day - you pay for the whole day even if you shoot for half day... in fact even if you shoot for 20 minutes and maybe have an equipment problem.

You also need to find out if the rates quoted as "flat rates" are "all in" [including travel (time+cost), make-up time and fittings ect.] or only cover their time on-location with additional extras to be tacked on.

Either way you need more information to know EXACTLY what they are quoting you. If they can't do that they don't know what a flat rate is, or means, either.

Studio36

Jun 16 06 03:57 pm Link