Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Makeup Mannequins

Photographer

Moonspheres

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Can anyone tell me if makeup mannequins are helpful?  I have seen a few different kinds (with masks in varying skin tones) and I was hoping to find out if they are a valuable tool for someone who is learning.

Thank you in advance,

Laura

Jun 16 06 01:48 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I personally would only buy these "heads" for a child, the real thing is so much different than a pastic subsititute. I wouldnt waste my money, practice on the real thing, find some girlfriends who like to be "made-up" practice on humans unless you plan on makeing up maiquins for your career and if you are good for you smile hehehehehe
Later Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Jun 16 06 08:40 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

she's right.  use real heads.

contact me in my inbox for details on how to acquire some.  i don't want to let this information go public.

Jun 16 06 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Moonspheres

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks a million for your responses.

Back in the 80's when I attended cosmetology school, the mannequins were somewhat helpful and I thought I'd see if they would be in the makeup area as well.

I have some decent experience with the application of makeup (I do all of the makeup for my photography as well as having done some wedding parties and friends for special occasions) but I just thought if it was something worthwhile, I'd give it a looksee.  I couldn't really wrap my brain around applying makeup to something synthetic but I figured, what the hell, ya never know.

I do appreciate the responses muchly.

-Laura

Jun 16 06 08:58 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

I use a dummy head for hair, its a great way to do a dry run or practice a hair style. but often the head you will be working on will be differnt than the fake head that you practice on. smile
Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Jun 17 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

Moonspheres

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Deadly Design Make-up wrote:
I use a dummy head for hair, its a great way to do a dry run or practice a hair style. but often the head you will be working on will be differnt than the fake head that you practice on. smile
Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Absolutely.  The mannequins I used were helpful to experiment and explore possibilities, but they in no way substituted for the heads of my clients.

A wee bit OT but... they had a contest around the holidays at my cosmetology school.  The person who created the most original (and outlandish) holiday hair style on a mannequin won a lovely pair of scissors and some tapering shears.   We had one hour and a limited box of very cheesy Christmas stuff.  I wound up winning the scissors and shears all because of Mable, my trusty mannequin sidekick and her Dr. Seuss "Who-ville" inspired tree hair...

http://www.moonspheres.com/mann.jpg

hehehe

-Laura

Jun 17 06 02:32 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Moonspheres wrote:

I wound up winning the scissors and shears all because of Mable, my trusty mannequin sidekick and her Dr. Seuss "Who-ville" inspired tree hair...

hehehe

-Laura

That is awesome. Awesomesauce, in fact. What'd you use to get the hair to stay like that? Haha and Mable is such a nice name. I named mine Bitch. big_smile

xo.

Jun 17 06 08:24 am Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Moonspheres wrote:

Absolutely.  The mannequins I used were helpful to experiment and explore possibilities, but they in no way substituted for the heads of my clients.

A wee bit OT but... they had a contest around the holidays at my cosmetology school.  The person who created the most original (and outlandish) holiday hair style on a mannequin won a lovely pair of scissors and some tapering shears.   We had one hour and a limited box of very cheesy Christmas stuff.  I wound up winning the scissors and shears all because of Mable, my trusty mannequin sidekick and her Dr. Seuss "Who-ville" inspired tree hair...

hehehe

-Laura

Very cute smile
My "head" her name is Louise, she often comes off her post so i get to whack her head to make her saty in place smile hehehe
some times these" heads are good to, you can yahnk their hair, bop them on the heads and yell at them when things are nt going the way you want them to go. smile hehehehe kinda like a stress reliver smile

Jun 17 06 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Moonspheres

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Thanks wink

To get her hair to stand up like that, I had to flip her upside down and use the blow drier/hairspray combination.  She was a wee bit stiff to be sure.  If they would have had lights in the box, she would have been lit up.

I recall when my mannequin wouldn't sit stationary on her stand I would repeatedly bop her on the head.  They make great stress relief tools.

Jun 17 06 04:32 pm Link

Model

Tessa Haviland

Bellingham, Massachusetts, US

I would find a model who is starting out and ask her if you could practice on her and do TFP once you got your techniques down. I would jump at the chance to secure a makeup artist for TFP, plus you may make a friend and then maybe they'll get famous and remember you.... OK I'm off in my own day dream, sorry! Anyways, ask around.

Did I spell technique right? I need some coffee

Jun 19 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

the best makeup mannequin i've found are my friends.  yes, they are my guinea pigs, i have one in every shade, from super pale to deep dark onyx (she's super beautiful, straight from africa).

Jun 19 06 11:50 am Link