Forums > General Industry > TFP, TFCD.... the lates TF trend is for the birds!

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The TFP and TFCD stuff seems to have been a popular thing to do, but the trend seems to be dying out, as I'm now seeing many people rightfully state ''No TF's" in their portfolios.

But I just saw an ad for a glossy, slick, and popular fashion and events magazine that is known to use 'free' models and 'free' photographers sink to a  new low.

They are sponsoring an event at one of Las Vegas's newest 'hot spots', and are looking for people to set up, and disassmble the event, (which includes glamourous jobs such as mopping floors and washing tables)... and guess what... they're seeking FREE volunteers to do it!

I don't understand how a company that is generating a profit, and promotes 'high end, prosperous and glamourous living' can stoop so low as to make EVERYONE work for free.  The thing that I don't understand the most... WHY do people accept it?

(the magazine I'm speaking of is a real publication, mainly distributed in CA and NV.  It is not a fake 'Calvin' publication)

Jun 15 06 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

If you're really glamous you wouldn't ask, and just know that it's for the best.
And if you are dumb enough to do it, then well...

Jun 15 06 03:21 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

tfp or time for prints is as old as the hills and is not dying out.I am old enough to be your grandfather and it was here and healthy long before I was born,and it will be here and healthy after we are gone.It is a vital part of this activity and perfectly okay in the right circumstances.

Jun 15 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yeah, but 'freebie work' doing construction and maintenance for... well.... for no other reason than to do freebie work is just insane!  Especially when the company that you're doing the freebie work is spending big bucks on advertisements, signs, event center rental... etc.

It's NOT TFP.  It's NOT TFCD... it's just TF!!!  Ya get nothing out of it!

Jun 15 06 06:46 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

must be 944 !

Jun 16 06 01:48 am Link

Photographer

Greg Randles

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
must be 944 !

LOL beat me to it :-)

Jun 16 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

SayCheeZ! wrote:
The TFP and TFCD stuff seems to have been a popular thing to do, but the trend seems to be dying out, as I'm now seeing many people rightfully state ''No TF's" in their portfolios.

But I just saw an ad for a glossy, slick, and popular fashion and events magazine that is known to use 'free' models and 'free' photographers sink to a  new low.

They are sponsoring an event at one of Las Vegas's newest 'hot spots', and are looking for people to set up, and disassmble the event, (which includes glamourous jobs such as mopping floors and washing tables)... and guess what... they're seeking FREE volunteers to do it!

I don't understand how a company that is generating a profit, and promotes 'high end, prosperous and glamourous living' can stoop so low as to make EVERYONE work for free.  The thing that I don't understand the most... WHY do people accept it?

(the magazine I'm speaking of is a real publication, mainly distributed in CA and NV.  It is not a fake 'Calvin' publication)

they aim at the ever increasing moron factor, a factor that i am having trouble coming to grips with in 06, as it has invaded my businesses it seems.

Jun 16 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:

It can hopefully be said that reports of the death of TFCD are exaggerated!

Jun 16 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

SayCheeZ! wrote:
Yeah, but 'freebie work' doing construction and maintenance for... well.... for no other reason than to do freebie work is just insane!  Especially when the company that you're doing the freebie work is spending big bucks on advertisements, signs, event center rental... etc.

It's NOT TFP.  It's NOT TFCD... it's just TF!!!  Ya get nothing out of it!

TFCD = barter, which was around for a few thousand years before money was invented. Barter doesn't work well in most cases any longer; TFCD is a happy exception.

The trade show looking for volunteer chumps has nothing to do with TFCD. They are simply taking advantage of those seeking fame, another long-time practice.

Jun 16 06 04:33 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

work contruction for free? hell they couldnt get me to work construction if they were paying.

Jun 16 06 05:12 pm Link

Photographer

RockstarVanity

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom

That sounds like a ridiculous situation.  It's scary that anyone would actually DO work like that for nothing!

Jun 16 06 05:18 pm Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

rp_photo wrote:

TFCD = barter, which was around for a few thousand years before money was invented. Barter doesn't work well in most cases any longer; TFCD is a happy exception.

The trade show looking for volunteer chumps has nothing to do with TFCD. They are simply taking advantage of those seeking fame, another long-time practice.

Jun 16 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

rp_photo wrote:

Jun 16 06 05:24 pm Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

hate to say it kids, but i'd be willing to wager that for an even mildly interesting event properly promoted or located and with some hope of 15-seconds of fame involved, i could not only get all services free but charge significant sums and get rights to various first born children. this is the natural outcome of our shallow, celebrity-infatuated, fame oriented, society and the determination that virtually anyone deserves to be a millionaire and is just oh so hot.

the odds are far greater that you don't, you won't, and you're not.

however, if you want to be my gofer for a few weeks, i'd be happy to accept a few thousand a week to provide that opportunity for fame and fortune.

Jun 16 06 05:26 pm Link

Photographer

B L O P H O T O

Chicago, Illinois, US

...sigh..here we go again.......

Jun 16 06 05:26 pm Link

Model

Idaho

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

Actually people work for free a lot now-a-days. MTV and many other magazines and entertainment businesses have unpaid interns. People do it in return for experience. I suppose it solves the problem of being unable to find work for lack of experience, but not being able to gain experience because of the unavailability of work.

Jun 16 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Idaho Edokpayi wrote:
Actually people work for free a lot now-a-days. MTV and many other magazines and entertainment businesses have unpaid interns. People do it in return for experience. I suppose it solves the problem of being unable to find work for lack of experience, but not being able to gain experience because of the unavailability of work.

An unpaid intern is just a member of the blowjob pool!

Jun 16 06 05:42 pm Link

Photographer

Simmons Tobias Photo

San Francisco, California, US

Free labor is why they make a profit!  if you get everything done for free its all profit! tongue

Jun 16 06 05:47 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Greg Randles wrote:

LOL beat me to it :-)

Dont be shy, they are the cheapest fucks on the planet!

Jun 16 06 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Billy Pegram

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I was approached by 11 different magazine last year in Vegas and 9.. was one of them.  Only one had a budget (so they say) for photographer.  Don't shoot for any of them.   It is one thing to print something I have and want show to the public but to do an assignment without pay or even expenses is _____.   But I guess there are enought photographer who need to feed their egos.  Thanks to those of you who stand up and say NO.

Billy

Jun 16 06 06:49 pm Link