Forums > General Industry > The future of TFCD group shoot events

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Compared to even two or three years ago, has the evolution of online networking sites like MM and others reduced the need for talent to meet each other at group shoot events? I have seen some evidence of this in my two-year tenure as a serious photographer.

Going back even further, were such events the primary way new models and photographers met each other?

Model Mayhem alone has kept me more than busy, but there is a fun aspect to group events that it cannot replace.

Jun 15 06 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

group shoots seem to have been around for quite awhile - (the old Art gathering) - and has continued to flourish, at least for 'Net photographers; don't really find it happening, that type of sharing, in mainstream circles, least not for "work" ...

FML

Jun 15 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

rp_photo wrote:
Has the evolution of online networking sites like MM and others reduced the need for talent to meet each other at group shoot events? There is a fun aspect to group events that it cannot replace.

Honestly, I believe that online networking sites like MM and others have assisted me in dramatically increasing the number of gifted photographers and talented models to the events I conduct in SoCal.  I have hosted 11 events in the last 14 months of being an MM member, and well over 50% of those attending have been members of this site.  Our recent 'Lakehouse Glamourshoot' event (May 27th) had an astounding 80% MM member turnout, and 70% of the models attending the June 18th 'Laguna Beach Photoshoot' are also from MM.  We dont do TFCD at these events, as all models are paid cash AND receive photos.  Oh... and about that 'fun aspect'... well... we DEFINITELY have ALOT of that... wink

Jun 15 06 05:08 pm Link

Photographer

CaliModels

Los Angeles, California, US

rp_photo wrote:
Compared to even two or three years ago, has the evolution of online networking sites like MM and others reduced the need for talent to meet each other at group shoot events? I have seen some evidence of this in my two-year tenure as a serious photographer.

Going back even further, were such events the primary way new models and photographers met each other?

Model Mayhem alone has kept me more than busy, but there is a fun aspect to group events that it cannot replace.

Have to disagree, since many models would have not otherwise gotten their starts without the group shoots. Several models on this site and other sites, First Started at our shoot and then Later opened on-line pages.

Most of you would be surprised that other people are always trying to recruit our models for their own ventures. The majority our attendees were Not from MM. I would say 98% are originally from outside sources. You may be surprised that several photographers from MM have asked me "how do you get a model". So, you can see there is still a need for group shoots.

Jun 15 06 05:36 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

The future of TFCD group shoot events

As far as I know, there's not a single 'group shoot event' out there that supplies only TFCD or TFP.  Why?  In this day and age of high priced air fare and VERY expensive gasoline costs for models to get to those events, it's more 'all about the money' now than it ever has been... wink

Jun 15 06 09:46 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

FML-Photography wrote:
group shoots seem to have been around for quite awhile - (the old Art gathering) - and has continued to flourish,

Quite awhile indeed.  First group shoot I attended was a 'Franks Cameras' photoday back in 1989, and actually attended 3 of them before Franks went outta business.  I was a bigtime follower of 'Western Photographer' magazine back in the 90's when the 'BearMeister' operated his studio and publication out of Anaheim.  Several 'photoday promotors' (including myself) advertized in that magazine for some years, and it's subscription base was quite strong for awhile, for an amateur based publication.  Bear experienced some 'legal and financial' problems in the late 90s, with the studio and magazine goin 'belly up' soon afterwards.  Those photoday promotors we're left with no other popular magazine to advertize in, so as a result, Gregg Roenbaugh (MM#2815) setup 'photodays.com', with SoCal photoday promotors posting details on their events at that URL since the early 90s.  If you were (or still are) a follower of SoCal Photodays, or a past reader of Western Photographer magazine, feel free to post a message... wink

Jun 16 06 12:50 pm Link