Forums > General Industry > What's with all this up your nose stuff?

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

One thing I will never understand is why models tilt their heads back so you look up their nose's.  Yea I know blame it on the photographer since he took the photo but the model puts it on her site.

So why do so many like this up your nose shot? 

I JUST DO NOT GET IT.  bs

Jun 15 06 10:54 am Link

Model

pamela mars

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

bobby sargent wrote:
One thing I will never understand is why models tilt their heads back so you look up their nose's.  Yea I know blame it on the photographer since he took the photo but the model puts it on her site.

LOL!
it's the paris hilton pose! of course it's gona be immitated.
i think that some people can actually pull it off and it does look very beautiful-most can't though.

Jun 15 06 10:57 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

bobby sargent wrote:

Because it's not about nostrils, it's about power and personality.

Seriously though -- have a model shoot with her head down, then level, then tilted slightly back. I think it makes a huge difference in your perception of the model as an individual. Head down often gives a feeling of submission. Head level is more or less neutral. Head slightly back is dominant, powerful, in charge.

Some of us like women in a submissive role, some of us like them in charge. Besides, I think nostrils are kinda cute!

Regards,
Paul

Jun 15 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

I do that when the model has a fat/short neck.

Jun 15 06 11:09 am Link

Photographer

Cassandra Panek

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

CLT wrote:

or a big forehead, or a weak chin.

Jun 15 06 11:10 am Link

Photographer

billi

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

it what they see "giselle" do... the only difference is that giselle knows how to control her body lines.

Jun 15 06 11:11 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

dude, I have had to break sooooo many newbie models from doing that. I think it's a reactionary thing from having taller people shoot them (homegrown baby/growing up pics).

Jun 15 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

Moda Photographic

Fort Worth, Texas, US

I was wondering the same thing. I have had models do this in every shot and I will tell them to bring their chin done a little and they say that they have always been told by photographers they work with to do it that way. If they have strong facial features they may be able to pull it off but most can't.

Jun 15 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

CLT wrote:

GREAT point -- even with a REALLY big girl, shooting from up high can put the attention on her face.

Paul

Jun 15 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

I thought it was a cocaine thing from the 80's wink

Jun 15 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

bang bang photo wrote:

Because it's not about nostrils, it's about power and personality.

Seriously though -- have a model shoot with her head down, then level, then tilted slightly back. I think it makes a huge difference in your perception of the model as an individual. Head down often gives a feeling of submission. Head level is more or less neutral. Head slightly back is dominant, powerful, in charge.

Some of us like women in a submissive role, some of us like them in charge. Besides, I think nostrils are kinda cute!

Regards,
Paul

Well I think there is a big difference between slightly tilted back and all the way back and the first thing you see is UP HER NOSE.

I agree with you that slightly tilted can and does look good on some models. 

But this way back tilted look is way to far gone. bs

Jun 15 06 11:16 am Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

I thought it made my features stand out more, now you're telling me I should scrap them? sad
Actually, I think some photographers like it and some don't, some models shouldn't be doing it and some can pull it off. It's a variety like everything else.

Jun 15 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Just between you and me, I agree.  I don't think it's flattering at all to a model.

That said, I've shot a fair number of them myself.  Here's why:

"Fashion" lighting these days (actually for the last several years) had had the main light very high, and quite directional (not coming from a huge softbox).  That makes for a dramatic, interesting picture, and that kind of light is so common among fashion "test photographers" that it's a fad.

Unfortunately, for most (nearly all) models it also brings a risk of putting the eyes in shadow - which isn't the most attractive way to show them.  The solution is to have the model tilt her head up until most of the shadow goes away . . . .

Jun 15 06 12:07 pm Link

Model

ModelTara

Grafton, Illinois, US

I agree you have to have strong features to pull it off. You must be careful when doing the pose, but depends on the expression and the feel you're going for.

Look: http://209.85.46.244/pic.php?pic_id=44803ab8b037b

and: http://209.85.46.244/pic.php?pic_id=447bb506a8b54

Jun 15 06 12:10 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

ModelTara wrote:
I agree you have to have strong features to pull it off. You must be careful when doing the pose, but depends on the expression and the feel you're going for.

Look: http://209.85.46.244/pic.php?pic_id=44803ab8b037b

and: http://209.85.46.244/pic.php?pic_id=447bb506a8b54

I'd like to see those, but I get this message:

You need to be logged in as a member in order to see full photos. This is only temporary, until we can get faster servers set up.

Jun 15 06 12:16 pm Link

Model

ModelTara

Grafton, Illinois, US

Crud - sorry, I'm still new at this site smile

Check out my port and see the only two with my nostrils showing LOL

Jun 15 06 12:18 pm Link

Model

ModelTara

Grafton, Illinois, US

To clarify:

The "Oh Barbie" shot

and then: The "My Blonde Look" picture

Let me know whatcha think! smile

Jun 15 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Ivan Aps

Miami, Florida, US

I here a rumor is the new "ass-shot". :-)

Sort of the Mediteranian response...."We might not have booty, but we got some bad ass nostrals!"

Jun 15 06 12:34 pm Link

Photographer

Paul Valach

Avondale, Arizona, US

ModelTara wrote:
To clarify:

The "Oh Barbie" shot

These are all great, I think you have a couple more there that could fall under the "Nostril" shots.

In my opinion it is about the "power" of the look. A models faces changes with a mere turn of the cheek...even a touch..or a tilt of the head..then comes the light. The combination of which makes the great photo.

Jun 15 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

Andrea Barnett

Sacramento, California, US

damnit... and here i was, excited we were gonna start talking about fun stuff to PUT up your nose. oh well.

Jun 15 06 01:14 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Andrea Barnett wrote:
damnit... and here i was, excited we were gonna start talking about fun stuff to PUT up your nose. oh well.

OMG....

I can't believe my eyes, this coming from AB & Co. ??

Jun 15 06 01:16 pm Link

Model

Andrea Barnett

Sacramento, California, US

Craig Thomson wrote:

OMG....

I can't believe my eyes, this coming from AB & Co. ??

people say the silliest crap in here, its my job to lighten things UP

Jun 15 06 01:21 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

I have two of the "Up the Nose" shots on my page that were done by James Graham. They are two of my favorites from our shoot. Some people hate them and some love them. I think maybe it's all about personal taste. There is NO image that 100% of people will love. Just my thoughts. wink

Jun 15 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

And purists don't even clone out the boogers.

Jun 15 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

up your nose with caution tape!

Jun 15 06 02:15 pm Link

Photographer

Fotticelli

Rockville, Maryland, US

I do it because it looks cool.

Jun 15 06 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

I've caught them doing a few poses like that, where I just said, "put your head down, you look stupid"

Jun 15 06 02:49 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

megafunk wrote:

Only these newfangled upstart young pup digital artists do that.  REAL photographers can make boogers look good.  smile

Jun 15 06 02:56 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

ModelTara wrote:
To clarify:

The "Oh Barbie" shot

Sorry but I hate both of them.  To me IMHO way to much up your nose.  But to each his own. bs

Jun 15 06 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

bobby sargent wrote:

It shortens long noses, but it's easily overdone.

Jun 15 06 02:59 pm Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Constance Hilory wrote:
I have two of the "Up the Nose" shots on my page that were done by James Graham. They are two of my favorites from our shoot. Some people hate them and some love them. I think maybe it's all about personal taste. There is NO image that 100% of people will love. Just my thoughts. wink

Well back up by request is the only one I do not like. 

You also have a very nice look and some good work here.  keep it up but the head down.  bs

Jun 15 06 03:00 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

Andrea Barnett wrote:
people say the silliest crap in here, its my job to lighten things UP

and you certaily do, with that silly-faced avatar! wink

Jun 15 06 05:39 pm Link

Photographer

Ought To Be Shot

Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

The other pose I don't like is the head tilted over towards the shoulder so far that it looks like the model's been in a car wreck.

Jun 15 06 05:44 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I want you to check my sinuses.

Jun 15 06 05:54 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

megafunk wrote:

Those aren't boogers... They're catchlights!

(What the hell are we talking about?)

Jun 15 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

Shyly wrote:
Only these newfangled upstart young pup digital artists do that.  REAL photographers can make boogers look good.  smile

WG Rowland wrote:
Those aren't boogers... They're catchlights!

Catch boogers. They're for everyone!!!!

Jun 15 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Sventender

Fullerton, California, US

It seems like most here who don't like the pose have been in photography for awhile, me as a new schooler i dont mind the pose.

but that comes from my roots in figure painting.  you usually had the model on a stand elevated and you sat down in a seat so your perspective was always from below.  it also stretches out the neck and elongates it. the elongated neck has always been a feature that was considered appealing.

from the egyptians to victorian times, even artists in the past have exaggerated with it. depending how you light the model too it does create more dramatic shadows.  i do find it can make the model less attractive at times but sometimes i'm trying to make an interesting picture not a headshot. to each his own i suppose. then again i know sh*t about photography so i'll just keep my mouth shut.

but you cant deny that two blaring nostrils create a central focal point towards the models face. with breasts and asses competing for compitition in photos whats the face to do? fight back with nostrils baby.

Jun 16 06 12:34 am Link

Model

Lapis

Chicago, Illinois, US

When I shot with D Brian Nelson, he was so enamored of the shape of my nostrils that he INSISTED on shooting up my nose.

Jun 16 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Lapis wrote:
When I shot with D Brian Nelson, he was so enamored of the shape of my nostrils that he INSISTED on shooting up my nose.

Good to go Brian, convincing Lapis you were looking at her nose!

Jun 16 06 01:46 am Link