Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > A question on sponges

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

For photo shoots I use a brush to apply my foundation. But for every day, I like to use a sponge to apply my liquid foundation. I had some great ones that did a really good job, but have lost the packaging so I don't know what type they were. I HATE the ones I find in Walgreens and Target and such. Where can I find some that won't just absorbe all the product? Any suggestions?

Jun 15 06 08:16 am Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

I like the ones sold at Sally's and MUD (www.makeupdesignory.com).  I think I heard that the one's sold by Alcone are good, too.

Jun 15 06 08:28 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

Thanks so much. I'll check them out.

Jun 15 06 10:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

faithb wrote:
I like the ones sold at Sally's and MUD (www.makeupdesignory.com).  I think I heard that the one's sold by Alcone are good, too.

There are only 3 brand of sponges that I can deal with: the MUD ones, Frend's and Image Exclusives.

Jun 15 06 10:41 am Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

I bought some Alcone sponges when I was at The Makeup Show. They are amazering!!!

xo.

Jun 15 06 01:25 pm Link

Makeup Artist

D.Marie Beauty

Jamaica, New York, US

I think the best sponges come from Sally's and Alcone. If you get the sponges from Sally's, make sure they are the large size sponges.

Jun 15 06 01:45 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lily Wasik

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

How do the various sponges offered by qosmedix measure up?

I'm curious if people have preferance over certain types of sponges for differant purposes? For my theatrical work, when I'm using thicker creme foundations (such as bald-cap makeup) I prefer the firmer, more open grained sponges, but for facial makeups I find the finer grained sponges invaluable for smoothing out brush strokes when they occurr.

I guess I'm just one who likes to quantify things. I'm always curious WHY people like/dislike things, often this is more useful to me than simply knowing that a like/dislike exists.

Jun 15 06 02:35 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beauty4U

New York, New York, US

AAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLCCCCCCCCCCCOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEE!!!!

The freaking best!!

Jun 15 06 03:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Add me to the Alcone groupie section.
These are the best I have used.  Big and spongey.  So big that you can cut them in half, actually.

Jun 15 06 03:27 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Lily Wasik

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Tracey Masterson wrote:
Add me to the Alcone groupie section.
These are the best I have used.  Big and spongey.  So big that you can cut them in half, actually.

As I'm not in NY, I am unfamiliar with these. I am assuming they are a non-latex, do you know what they are made from? What is the grain like on these?

Jun 15 06 06:01 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Lily Wasik wrote:
As I'm not in NY, I am unfamiliar with these. I am assuming they are a non-latex, do you know what they are made from? What is the grain like on these?

The baggie says that they are non-latex and bio-degradable, but I can't recall off the top of my head what they are actually made from (not near any right now).

xo.

Jun 15 06 06:03 pm Link

Photographer

JM Dean

Cary, North Carolina, US

https://www.cacr.math.uwaterloo.ca/~dstinson/gifs/spongebob.gif

smile

Jun 15 06 06:52 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Ashley Elizabeth

Miami Beach, Florida, US

I really like Naimie's and Frend's sponges.  I haven't tried Alcone's yet.

Jun 15 06 06:54 pm Link

Model

_Blip_

Tampa, Florida, US

Alcones are awesome. I also really like Face Secrets from Sally's... I love the contour blending sponges, which are made of nitrile, are allergen-free, and absorb very little makeup. The bean shape is really cool, too. I like them better than the wedge shaped sponges (albeit, they are a lot more expensive), but each has it's purpose... so I use both.

Jun 15 06 07:13 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

a good tip to help minimize the absorption of the make up....put some moisturizer on your sponge first...then it wont soak up as much of the foundation.

Jun 15 06 07:46 pm Link

Makeup Artist

faithb

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Makeup by Dana wrote:
If you get the sponges from Sally's, make sure they are the large size sponges.

Yup, those are the only ones I get from there.

Jun 15 06 10:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

MP Make-up Artistry

Prince George, British Columbia, Canada

I use Sponge FX by Cover FX
these are awsome they have a nice "firm" texture  not a whimpy sponge at all. They also come in Latex and Non Latex, 
8 for $6.99 at shoppers Drug mart  ( Canada)

I love em and swear by them
they also come in a cute little container that can be re-used for other things when all of the sponges are used up smile

Mandy of Deadly Design Make-up Artistry

Jun 15 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

name name

New York, New York, US

Lily Wasik wrote:

Okay, I did a little sleuthing, as I'm bored and can't sleep.

Here's what it says on the package:

"Alcone specially formulated a non-latex water based sponge material that won't crumble, doesn't smell and has the perfect density for incredible control. If you wet the sponge, it will swell and give you a lighter makeup application. And we are not done yet...it is also biodegradable."

And on their website:

"Featured in In Style Magazine 4 years in a row, these non-latex sponges are made of hydrophylic polyurethane foam. Hydrophylic means the polymers used in making the sponge consists mostly of water. Therefor our sponge has no offensive odor and the foam naturally wants to expand in water. "

Jun 15 06 10:45 pm Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

Thanks to everyone fro the great advice. I'll stopby Sally and take a look. But does anyone know where I can get Alcone sponges? Or do I need to get them off the web?

Jun 16 06 06:54 am Link

Makeup Artist

D.Marie Beauty

Jamaica, New York, US

www.Alconeco.com
Request a catalog. The only thing, it takes a while for them to send it to you. So if you are not sure about what you see on their website, place the order over the phone. The have an 800 number.

Jun 16 06 08:32 am Link