Forums > General Industry > Where can I survive? Worldwide modeling, opinions?

Model

Elizabeth Susann

Sacramento, California, US

Hi all,

crazy question for ya at almost 4 in the morning, my time.  would love any feedback for this insanity....

so in the near future, my boyfriend is going to be a dive master and he wants to travel to a few fun & exotic places- (places where you can have the experience of immersing yourself in another culture and still be popular enough that tourists come and would actually be interested in scuba diving...) and staying relatively a few months at a time. 

now... modeling is one of those careers (like being a dive master) that allows for such unplanned travel and thus, this plan of going together, traveling the world for about a year could conceivably work. 

here's where i would LOVE some input.  Could this work?  Could I make any money at ALL traveling as a model (it wouldn't be my sole income)....

MOST importantly... WHICH AREAS OF THE WORLD do you think would allow for an experience like this?  Where are the photographers in other areas like the Carribbean, South America, Australia, Asia.... I'm open to any places really... where do I go?

I know, it's late, I'm crazy, but again, any good input I could find I knew would probably come from a bunch of MMers who think outside of the box, are creative, hard working, and like a challenge.... let me know what you think smile

peace,
liz

Jun 15 06 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Sydney, Australia!
of course I'm biased because I have family there. lol
(I have family almost everywhere, LOL, it's very big, I alone have 8 uncles)

Jun 15 06 06:01 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

You might find quite a lucrative career in modeling in Japan since you're caucasian, and there is certainly a great deal of diving to be done.  I don't think, however, that there is a huge market for touristic dives there--I would imagine that it'd be more along the lines of commercial diving--that sort of thing.  There's a LOT of money in that, though.

Disclaimer:  I might be wrong.  About everything.

Jun 15 06 06:10 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Japan might be a possibility, but there are some potential problems:

1.  Japan is a very commercial, "catalog" market, and they want very slim girls.  Your profile says 34" hips, which is fine, but from looking at the rest of your stats, it may not be true.  You need to measure yourself around the fullest part of the butt and list that measurement.  (The Japanese certainly will check.)

2.  Japan, like the rest of the Asian area, is not a place to build a portfolio, but rather to use your portfolio to get work.  To work in Asia, you need to have an existing, solid "commercial fashion" portfolio.  There is nothing on your MM port that would work for that - so that needs to be a top priority.

3.  Your height is OK (at the bottom end of acceptable) for the Asian catalog markets, but you are too short to get much (if any) work in Europe or South Africa.

4.  You need to contact agencies in places you intend to go before you arrive.  There may be work visa issues that have to be taken care of before you enter the country.

Jun 15 06 06:59 am Link

Model

Elizabeth Susann

Sacramento, California, US

yea, we're mostly looking in the carribbean, south america area.... spanish speaking, rich culture...  japan would be out of the question for me yes, but really anywhere that i go model would mostly be for the experience and fun.  it is not really my career goal to be america's next top model ya know what i mean? 

no you're right, i'm not a size 0 but i AM a size 2... so shoot me.  i love my bod, but i know lots of people like the bean pole no curves coat hanger look.  oh well.

what do you all think of modeling in the down south?  what are the more popular cities/areas down there... anybody?  where are all the photographers from that area?

Jun 15 06 07:11 am Link