Forums > General Industry > Beach shoot = salt water hell

Photographer

revolution photography

Los Angeles, California, US

So today, I went for the splashy/wave shot with the model laid out on the rocks. Nicely bronzed, oiled and droplets in all the right places. Hot, right? Yeah, until monster seagulls dive bomb you, I get *soaked* in salt water - not gear-friendly at all, lose a pint of blood from stepping on broken glass and navigate the gathering tourist mobs...

Best. Shoot. Ever. wink

Chris
::rev

Jun 14 06 09:02 pm Link

Model

Moon Slide

Oakland, California, US

Yeah,

beach shoots are very difficult!  The beach shots I have posted were taken while sand was blowing all over my eyes, weirdo Marin people prancing around with a dead seagull. Plus being cold...but the sand was warm.

People who are not in this crazy world of ours don't realize what goes on ... both sides of the camera... to get a great shot!

Congrats for sticking it out.  Hope you have good  pix out of your trouble.

Sher

Jun 14 06 09:08 pm Link

Photographer

Bill Gunter

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

As long as your camera didn't get soaked in salt water everything should be ok.

Jun 14 06 09:42 pm Link

Photographer

bgcfoto

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

revolution photography wrote:
So today, I went for the splashy/wave shot with the model laid out on the rocks. Nicely bronzed, oiled and droplets in all the right places. Hot, right? Yeah, until monster seagulls dive bomb you, I get *soaked* in salt water - not gear-friendly at all, lose a pint of blood from stepping on broken glass and navigate the gathering tourist mobs...

Best. Shoot. Ever. wink

Chris

Sounds about right...so whats the problem?  smile

Jun 14 06 10:28 pm Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

San Diego, California, US

Best. Shoot. Ever. wink

Chris

Hehe, I shoot on the beach all the time, and one bit of advice I CAN give you..... get a pair of 'Aqua Socks'... they're acutally little slip-on shoes made for the beach.. you can walk in and out of the water in them, and you won't tear up your feet on the rocks, glass, old needles, or God-knows-what-else you're likely to encounter down there!!

I just got an awesome pair at Costco for like 15 or 20 bucks!  Have to double-check who makes 'em... had some good ones made by Nike in the past as well.

Jun 15 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Have shot muli-models at the beach for MANY years... they've all been somewhat different in one form or another... ALWAYS an adventure.  Salt water shouldnt be a problem... unless of course you take an 'unexpected' dip.  A happy resident in the land of awesome beaches here... wink

Jun 15 06 03:29 am Link

Model

Maria Cedar

Salt Lake City, Utah, US

Actually, being in Utah and in need of some beach shots for my portfolio I think it would be hot and lots of fun. But I'm sure it is hell on footing for the photographer to fall down just as the perfect shot comes into view. Way to go for sticking out.

Jun 15 06 03:39 am Link

Photographer

Alexis_Kennedy

Portland, Oregon, US

Pretty much all of my camera equipment has grains of sand embedded in the plastic and little weather seals due to shooting at the beach a lot.  It's probably one of the more difficult places to shoot.

Jun 15 06 04:28 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Have your gear cleaned, or at very least clean it yourself (be careful that you don't scratch sensitive surfaces, if you can afford it and can afford giving up your camera for a few days, I'm for having it cleaned professionally).

Salt can corrode. Not good.

Jun 15 06 04:33 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

you should bring like caution tape or tape that has danger all over it from home depot and mark the area off to keep the mobs at bay, LOL.
i actually don't mind people watching me when i shoot, but when someone gets too close or something i get pretty pissed. i hate seagulls are the beach, they're even more annoying than seagulls following behind you when you're on a ferry or something. 
i hope your gear didn't get wet, salt water is evil, the only thing i've found that works with some electronics is to clean it with distilled water to make sure no minerals or anything is on it and then let it air dry or if you have a blow drier set it on low and point the thing at it and it seems to work again just fine.  if it's still under warranty or if i can still get it serviced for not too much i'll just pay the price for them to do it.
sorry that you stepped on glass... that sucks, i don't do an outdoor shoot without ever wearing jeans and good shoes, i hike  a lot and rock climb a little so you can pretty much find me stuck to a rock face somewhere.

Jun 15 06 04:35 am Link

Photographer

MirrorImage Photography

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

I notice all you complaining:) live in the wrong state and shoot the wrong beaches... us Florida photographers never have problems:)... if you don't believe me check my work...

Jun 15 06 04:58 am Link

Photographer

EdwinR Photography

Gainesville, Florida, US

Mirror Image Photograph wrote:
I notice all you complaining:) live in the wrong state and shoot the wrong beaches... us Florida photographers never have problems:)... if you don't believe me check my work...

LOL...We use plastic bags to protect our gear (not always tho feasible), and wipe down with fresh water, use the spray canned air for the grit and sand....and every 3-4 months take it to Souhtern Photos to be cleaned.  Our light stands etc feet are covered with baggies too.....It CAN work...just takes care and being like a boyscout (always prepared).....  BUT you can always be caught off guard 'cause Mother Nature always has suprises for us....like waves, bombing seagulls, fish jumping and then the models who get a little carried away when we tell them to "have fun" and splash the photographer.....lol

Nice work MirrorImages!!

Jun 15 06 05:11 am Link

Photographer

MirrorImage Photography

Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, US

Thanks Buddy:)

Jun 15 06 05:16 am Link

Photographer

The Don Mon

Ocala, Florida, US

Best. Shoot. Ever. wink

Chris

grab a tissue and a shoulder

lol

Jun 15 06 05:45 am Link

Photographer

Lens N Light

Bradford, Vermont, US

Hah, beaches are the greatest.
A couple of summers ago, I scheduled an early shoot at the shore. I got there a half hour early and set up my diffusion panels and reflectors and settled down to wait for my model.
She flaked and never did show.
After about an hour, a couple wandering by (by this time others were getting to the beach) asked what was going on.
I told them and talked for a while and then he asked if i would take a picture of his GF. I said, "Sure."
Others saw this and for the next 4 hours, I had more models than I knew what to do with.
I didn't get any great shots, but it was the most fun I ever had shooting people.

Incidentally, with the Oly E-1, I just rinse it off in fresh water and blow it dry with the hand dryer in the men's room.

Jun 15 06 08:12 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

That's one reason I love my simple wooden box pinhole camera. No moving parts, nothing to rust, and certainly no electronics.

https://www.dgbn.com/photo/img/surfir_062303.jpg

Of course, the two minute exposure time does tend to flatten the waves out.

Jun 15 06 09:39 am Link

Photographer

byReno

Arlington Heights, Illinois, US

Best. Shoot. Ever. wink

Chris

Sounds like a good day to me.  I had worse snapping a few pics while grilling in the back yard.  Freaking bees. sadsmile

Jun 15 06 02:14 pm Link