Forums > General Industry > is this company legit

Model

lucien13

Los Angeles, California, US

CEO ENTERTAINMENT TALENT AGENCY JUST OFFERED ME A CONTRACT AND SAID TAT THEY GET WORK FOR ALL THESE REPUTABLE COMPANIES AND STUFF, THAN AT THE END THE SAID THAT I WAS REQUIRED TO HIRE THEIR PHOTOGRAPHER, AND THE PHOTO SHOOT WAS $450 BUCKS, FOR AN PRETTY GOOD PHOTOGRAPHER OR 1200 FOR A GUY BY THE NAME OF JIM HANCOCK, IS THAT GUY REALLY THAT GOOD AND DOES THIS SOUND LEGIT

Jun 14 06 07:45 pm Link

Model

Model Kari

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

nope

Jun 14 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Real talent agencies are not directly owned or directly associated with other businesses such as photo studios, printers, schools, etc.   In many jurisdictions the law prohibits this kind of activity.  This is to insure that the agency earns it's money for doing the job they are supposed to be doing... obtaining work for the people they represent... instead of making money FROM the people they supposedly represent by selling goods and services that they probably don't need.

Yes, the company you're dealing with is pulling a classic scam, which can be easily proven by doing a bit of 'real' research on 'em (checking state business licenses and corportate records is easy).

Jun 14 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

Angelus

Atlanta, Georgia, US

CEO / Bandwidth posts on craigslist every day and claim to ALWAYS be needing talent for their "private" auditions.

John Hancock is simply another commercial/ fashion photographer. They've inflated his rates because he doesn't charge that much. Hancock's even on the radio out for Solar Models (another fly-by-night lame promotions agency) and some bogus model search they're doing. He's pulling double duty.

Again...any agency that claims you MUST use their photographer and only him is more likely full of shit. CEO from introduction is full of shit.
They've been peddling this crap for months. And how does a brand new agency with NO industry presence know enough to rely on one photographer for their looks to showcase their talent? And they obviously don't know enough about what's legal operation in Georgia. You can't run a talent agency and any other related business (i.e. photo studio) requiring exclusivity from one for the other. Also....CEO is not even licensed.  Bandwith Consulting (which appears to be the incorporated name/holding Coany)  is not licensed.
You don't have to be licensed in Geora...but for legal reasons you want to be (IF YOU'RE OPERATING ETHICALLY)

Just walk away. There is shit they can do for you nor anybody else except fuck them over.

Two famous description that they use.
1. No experience necessary. Pay baed on experience.
2. *Private* auditions.

They love *NEW* models because you guys haven't learned this yet. And there's no such this as a *private* audition when advertising for it PUBLICLY. [i]especially when you give FULL breakdown of the cast...including date and only excluding location.

Jun 14 06 09:08 pm Link

Model

lucien13

WOW, EVERYBODY HAS REALLY HELPED ME OUT, I GLADLY APPREACIATED THIS AND THANK FOR THE INFO ALL, I LOVE MM

Jun 15 06 01:02 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

When researching companies/agencies, your first step should be to do a Google search on their name in quotation marks.  Add the word "scam" for a more focused search, too.

Jun 15 06 01:04 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

lucien13 wrote:
WOW, EVERYBODY HAS REALLY HELPED ME OUT, I GLADLY APPREACIATED THIS AND THANK FOR THE INFO ALL, I LOVE MM

Kill the CAPS. It looks like you are shouting and is considered rude.

Jun 15 06 01:07 pm Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

Rule of thumb. Type the name into google with the word scam or something along those lines. Note how many results you get.
Also if it makes you feel uneasy, don't chance it.

Jun 15 06 01:14 pm Link

Model

lucien13

also, they threw in some other stuff like  free image classes, a personal trainer, a body guard when you go out on auditions to set yourself apart from the rest, a all year round person you can talk to about life issues,just a gang of somebogus stuff that sounds to good to be true.

Jun 15 06 01:24 pm Link