Forums > General Industry > Not getting promised images from a shoot

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, US

Wanted to see who hasn't rec'd images from a shoot(s)?  I know a few models and me personally who have had this happen. 

I know when doing a tfp shoot the whole point of that shoot is for everyone to recieve images for their time involved and I think it's very unprofessional when a photographer doesn't follow through.

What do you think can be done about it?  Have you had this problem with people listed on MM?

ST

Jun 14 06 11:30 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

ST Hair and Makeup wrote:
Wanted to see who hasn't rec'd images from a shoot(s)?  I know a few models and me personally who have had this happen. 

I know when doing a tfp shoot the whole point of that shoot is for everyone to recieve images for their time involved and I think it's very unprofessional when a photographer doesn't follow through.

What do you think can be done about it?  Have you had this problem with people listed on MM?

ST

Gee never heard of this happening, especially on MM wink

If I didn't get images in a timely manor from a TFP, I'd politely bitch slap then light on fire then chain-saw off all 4 limbs then pump 3 rounds from a 12-gage into his body then run him over with a steam roller then ask for the pictures.

If he still doesn't respond, sue the SOB big_smile

Jun 14 06 11:41 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

it's happened to me. chalked it up to a lesson learned.

Jun 14 06 11:43 am Link

Photographer

revolution photography

Los Angeles, California, US

A lot of shooters like to bitch about 'flakey' models but this kind of thing happens a lot, as well. It's entirely unacceptable and as much whining as there is about a 'shitlist' for flakey models, there should be one for flakey shooters who burn models, MUA's, etc., on prints.

Chris
::rev

Jun 14 06 11:46 am Link

Model

m--m

i have only not been compensated once and i am sure i will not receive any images. it has been three months and i have not even seen proofs. it is ridiculous, since i put my time and effort towards the shoot, but as with any TFP shoot the outcome varies.

Photographer

Scott_La

Cheboygan, Michigan, US

i wonder if that would almost be like scheduling a shoot and never haveing the model show up.

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

CR, OMG you are too much!  LOL
Chris, good point!!!!

How can you sue, if no contract was done.  It's almost not worth the time involved IMO.  I just think others should be aware of the shady people who do this.

I actually do not do TFP's anymore.  But of course I made the mistake of doing one monthes ago, and never got the images promised.

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

CR, OMG you are too much!

How can you sue, if no contract was done.  It's almost not worth the time involved IMO.  I just think others should be aware of the shady people who do this.

IMO there are shady people, embarassed people, unorganized people and people in the middle of shit happening.

Shady people have no intent of giving you photos, they might have even contemplated this prior to even shooting with you.

Embarassed folks are ones over their head.  They did the shoot and forgot to remove the lens cap  or didn't expose properly or realized their cropping while shooting sucked.  They're too embarassed to show you their work.

Unorganized people have maybe done too many shoots before catching up, edited part of your work and then put it in a filing system they can't find again. 

Shit happening people are often folks on the edge.  Not the best of jobs of living situations, an immediate move or turmoil economically can make photos take a back seat.

Determine which one your photographer fits into and treat accordingly.

Jun 14 06 11:52 am Link

Photographer

megafunk

ST, I promise, should we shoot, to get you the images within a year. That's one third the usual time buddy so feel special.

Jun 14 06 11:53 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

KM von Seidl wrote:

IMO there are shady people, embarassed people, unorganized people and people in the middle of shit happening.

Shady people have no intent of giving you photos, they might have even contemplated this prior to even shooting with you.

Embarassed folks are ones over their head.  They did the shoot and forgot to remove the lens cap  or didn't expose properly or realized their cropping while shooting sucked.  They're too embarassed to show you their work.

Unorganized people have maybe done too many shoots before catching up, edited part of your work and then put it in a filing system they can't find again. 

Shit happening people are often folks on the edge.  Not the best of jobs of living situations, an immediate move or turmoil economically can make photos take a back seat.

Determine which one your photographer fits into and treat accordingly.

Okay I definitely agree with you here.  Maybe shady shouldn't be the proper term here although it appears that way.  I completely understand all of these possible scenario's.  But when over 3 monthes go by and you see other people recieving there images, and that person continues to give you time frames of when you will recieve images I think that is unprofessional and flakey.

Jun 14 06 11:59 am Link

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

megafunk wrote:
ST, I promise, should we shoot, to get you the images within a year. That's one third the usual time buddy so feel special.

Are you kidding me?

Jun 14 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Are you kidding me?

Wait did the models get their shots? Maybe you could ask them to either copy the cd or copy the prints for you? Unless of course their images did not include beauty shots that you would need. Just a thought if that is the case? Otherwise I say we tar and feather the bastard!

Jun 14 06 12:07 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Wait did the models get their shots? Maybe you could ask them to either copy the cd or copy the prints for you? Unless of course their images did not include beauty shots that you would need. Just a thought if that is the case? Otherwise I say we tar and feather the bastard!

Yes, certain models did get their images, and others did not.  No I can't use the ones who do have theirs.  It's really past that point.  I don't even care to use the images anymore.  But I do need the images for my Assistant.  I brought her on board so she could get images, and now I look bad...because she doesn't have anything as promised.  I made this post to see how many others have had this happen esp. with people from here on MM.

Jun 14 06 12:11 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Yes, certain models did get their images, and others did not.  No I can't use the ones who do have theirs.  It's really past that point.  I don't even care to use the images anymore.  But I do need the images for my Assistant.  I brought her on board so she could get images, and now I look bad...because she doesn't have anything as promised.  I made this post to see how many others have had this happen esp. with people from here on MM.

Well basically its happened to everyone on here lol. Heck Ive paid for shots and not gotten them. We learn the warning signs and move on...........or key cars and flatten tires........

Jun 14 06 12:12 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Well basically its happened to everyone on here lol. Heck Ive paid for shots and not gotten them. We learn the warning signs and move on...........or key cars and flatten tires........

You are too funny!

Guess a lesson learned, but I am just shocked this even happened it's with a very well known MM photographer.

Jun 14 06 12:15 pm Link

Photographer

Cyberhawk Studios

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

Sharon,
With work like yours, I am surprised you TFP at all!

What an idiot (the dead beat that is)! You can't go around and stiff the people you depend on to make you look good! I don't do this full time, but I have always gotten pix out within the week of the shoot. One of the reasons is that I don't want to burn bridges with models who I may want to use again.
And definitely don't stiff the MUAs, they are the bread and butter of this business!
****MESSAGE TO ALL DEAD BEAT PHOTOGRAPHERS*******
If a pretty girl want's to jump in front of your camera, get her the images ASAP, because then she just may want to jump in front of the camera again....and again....and again....

Jun 14 06 12:22 pm Link

Photographer

Boho Hobo

Santa Barbara, California, US

Well I actually did that with a model.  I feel into a life is sucking world for 2 years.  Basically I thought I had the negs from the shoot with me when I had to move from the place I had been living in for 15 years in a very short amount of time.  As it turned out I accidently put them in storage and storage was 500 miles away from me.  Long story short, the model got screwed.  And not in a good way.  Finally got her images but way too long after the fact.  Was I sorry about it?  Yes.  But unfortunately there was nothing I could have done differently after the original mistake of putting it in storage had been made.

In your case the photographer sounds like he/she has distributed shots to others.  Thats a good sign.  Just try and determine from him/her what the problem with getting them to you is.   Threatening someone with legal action sounds nice, but it's a pretty worthless financial move unless you're trying to get negatives from the Avedon estate.

I don't know why one group of folks got shots and you didn't but you might have to just bite it on this one.

Jun 14 06 12:23 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

Cyberhawk Studios wrote:
Sharon,
With work like yours, I am surprised you TFP at all!

What an idiot (the dead beat that is)! You can't go around and stiff the people you depend on to make you look good! I don't do this full time, but I have always gotten pix out within the week of the shoot. One of the reasons is that I don't want to burn bridges with models who I may want to use again.
And definitely don't stiff the MUAs, they are the bread and butter of this business!
****MESSAGE TO ALL DEAD BEAT PHOTOGRAPHERS*******
If a pretty girl want's to jump in front of your camera, get her the images ASAP, because then she just may want to jump in front of the camera again....and again....and again....

I don't TFP!!!  LOL  but stupid me made the mistake of going ahead and doing one because I thought it would lead to some other work.  yikes!  NO MORE...

Jun 14 06 12:30 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Sharon Tabb Hair Makeup

KM von Seidl wrote:

Well I actually did that with a model.  I feel into a life is sucking world for 2 years.  Basically I thought I had the negs from the shoot with me when I had to move from the place I had been living in for 15 years in a very short amount of time.  As it turned out I accidently put them in storage and storage was 500 miles away from me.  Long story short, the model got screwed.  And not in a good way.  Finally got her images but way too long after the fact.  Was I sorry about it?  Yes.  But unfortunately there was nothing I could have done differently after the original mistake of putting it in storage had been made.

In your case the photographer sounds like he/she has distributed shots to others.  Thats a good sign.  Just try and determine from him/her what the problem with getting them to you is.   Threatening someone with legal action sounds nice, but it's a pretty worthless financial move unless you're trying to get negatives from the Avedon estate.

I don't know why one group of folks got shots and you didn't but you might have to just bite it on this one.

Wow that is so cool of you to admit that.  Well this shots were distributed to others quite some time ago.  I have spoken with him and he tells me he's been busy, but continues to tell me I will have them within a few days or a week.  Which has turned into 3 monthes.  I feel bad because I have models contacting me because they think he and I were a team and want to know why the other models from the shoot has images and they don't have any???  Then I got my asst who I have always followed through with..wanting their images.    little frustrating.

I am so understanding and I do know things happen people get busy and all that good stuff.  But C'mon over 3 monthes.  I was promised in April I would have them.  It's now June.  Oh well, it was obviously a complete waste of time....

Jun 14 06 12:36 pm Link