Forums > General Industry > TFCD or not TFCD... I think I may be off base here

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Okay... I'm a firm believer of the following two quotes... "You get what you pay for" and "Don't expect something for nothing".

And before you jump to your guns, this has nothing to do with a disatisfied client... it has to do with the way I post for model's wanted.

When I post, I say "Partial TFCD".  This means I pay an hourly rate (not incredibly high but at least something worthwhile).  I also allow the model full access to all images and I'll provide a CD at the end of the shoot if I'm near a burner.  I'll also post process images that I really like, and I'll even share these with the model.  If the model likes something I didn't pick.. I post process those as well.

So rambling cut short.. is this a TFCD shoot or a Paid shoot?... check the following typical post:

Partial TFCD
- Portfolio use only on both the photographer and model's ends.  No commercial sales/stock use/distribution.
- CD of all images
- Edits of all images
- For arguments sake let's say $50/hr

So once again... TFCD or PAID?

Thanks for any input anyone may have.

-PKD

p.s. I didn't know exactly which forum this belongs in.. mods move at your discretion smile 

Jun 14 06 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

$50 hr? Sounds paid to me.

Jun 14 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

I'm starting to think so as well.

Not sure exactly how to categorize the type of shoot however.  To me, I DO have a paid shoot coming up in which I'm paying the model $135/hr for a 3hr lingerie shoot complete with MUA and stylist.  In this case, I keep full rights to the images.

Arrgghh!  Anyone else?

Jun 14 06 04:10 am Link

Photographer

Vision of a Poet

League City, Texas, US

$50.....yes, this definitely a paid gig.

Jun 14 06 07:19 am Link

Photographer

ChristopherRoss

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

PK Digital Imaging wrote:
I'm starting to think so as well.

Not sure exactly how to categorize the type of shoot however.  To me, I DO have a paid shoot coming up in which I'm paying the model $135/hr for a 3hr lingerie shoot complete with MUA and stylist.  In this case, I keep full rights to the images.

Arrgghh!  Anyone else?

Really? Hell for $135/hr I'd wear the lingerie.

Jun 14 06 07:24 am Link

Photographer

Bryan Benoit

Miami, Florida, US

I have done similar but the big difference is that the $$$ was exchange for the full rights to the pics... if not why pay? You are already giving her pics for her use that I assume she values because she agreed to work with you.

Also ... do you know how much time it is going to take you to edit ALL the images? YOu would never use more than a couple in your portfolio anyway so why edit ALL of them... pick the strongest images and work on those.

Jun 14 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I don't understand the question.  You are paying $50 an hour, plus some other stuff.  Under what theory would this be considered "not paid"?

Jun 14 06 07:54 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I think some people refer to this as a combination shoot? There is TFCD/Paid/Combo?

Jun 14 06 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Rowen

Gibsonia, Pennsylvania, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
I think some people refer to this as a combination shoot? There is TFCD/Paid/Combo?

That would be PTFCD (Paid-time-for-CD) or PPTFCD (partial-pay-time-for-CD)

smile

Since I'm unemployed, all I can offer is TFP/CD.  Anyone interested? I need practice!

-Ro

Jun 14 06 08:16 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Paid is paid. If she gets money, she got paid. (I make an exception for gas and lunch. That's just courtesy.)

That being said, I have been privileged to work with more than one model I could never have afforded to pay, and who I was not good enough to entice solely on TFP grounds, but who graciously agreed to a reduced rate *and* prints and files in the event I produced something she could use. I would consider that a paid shoot, with a specially negotiated rate. smile

M

Jun 14 06 10:18 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

thisismyurl wrote:
Really? Hell for $135/hr I'd wear the lingerie.

hahaha... this is a high profile model and I'm willing to pay that.  But I'd be in the same boat... I'd do quite a bit for $135/hr!... well... you know.. haha

Jun 14 06 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Bryan Benoit wrote:
Also ... do you know how much time it is going to take you to edit ALL the images? YOu would never use more than a couple in your portfolio anyway so why edit ALL of them... pick the strongest images and work on those.

My pictures are so good I don't have to do much editing...   Pffffff.  It was a typo on the bottom part of the original post.  wink    I select the images I like and edit those.. if the model wants some other ones done I'd do that as well.

Jun 14 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

And a big thanks to everyone who responded!  Info is greatly appreciated!

Jun 14 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Paid shoot.  And you can indicate $50/hr plus all images on a CD.  That's part of their compensation.  Since cash is part of the compensation, I'd definately call it a paid shoot.  Also expect almost EVERYONE to be interested, even if they live near the South Pole.

Jun 14 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

DigitalCMH wrote:
Paid shoot.  And you can indicate $50/hr plus all images on a CD.  That's part of their compensation.  Since cash is part of the compensation, I'd definately call it a paid shoot.  Also expect almost EVERYONE to be interested, even if they live near the South Pole.

hmm.... penguin fashion shoot... sounds HOT!  Thanks for the inspiration!  smile

Jun 14 06 04:15 pm Link