Forums > General Industry > Can anyone help me

Model

KevinGardner

South Laurel, Maryland, US

Eliete and John casablanca wants to sign me tommorrow and I don't know what to do everything is free. But there is always a but they want me to attent their acting school for 1625.00. Is this legit or am I being hood-winked and bamboozled? If anyone have any information holla at me asap  Alpha model group has already gotten me once!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 14 06 03:19 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

I can't say for certain, but my gut reaction is that you're being hood-winked.  If they like you and want you, why should you have to pay them any kind of fee?  Doesn't sound kosher to me.

Jun 14 06 03:21 am Link

Model

dani faye

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sounds like you're being hood-winked and bamboozled! I've been through plenty of those things...they're ALL scams... this one doesn't look too good!

Jun 14 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Thyronne

Huntington Beach, California, US

Don't like the sound of it.  I would be suspicious of an outfit that doesn't give you options when directing you to photographers or acting coaches.

Jun 14 06 03:27 am Link

Photographer

AndrewG

Mesa, Arizona, US

KevinGardner wrote:
Eliete and John casablanca wants to sign me tommorrow and I don't know what to do everything is free. But there is always a but they want me to attent their acting school for 1625.00. Is this legit or am I being hood-winked and bamboozled? If anyone have any information holla at me asap  Alpha model group has already gotten me once!!!!!!!!!!

Did a google search on John Casablancas...

http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/johncasablancas.html

Jun 14 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

R Michael Walker

Costa Mesa, California, US

RUN!

Jun 14 06 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Ryan Colford Studios

Brooklyn, New York, US

Well that article tells you everything you need to know. 

Run Forest Run!!

Jun 14 06 03:38 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

save yourself and run!

Jun 14 06 03:40 am Link

Photographer

Keith Carey Photography

NORTH HOLLYWOOD, California, US

Dont ever pay to get signed. Run as fast as you can. I've had other clients that almost fell for the scam.

Jun 14 06 03:41 am Link

Model

dani faye

Brooklyn, New York, US

AndrewG wrote:
http://www.easybackgroundcheck.com/johncasablancas.html

ouch! now you really shouldn't go!!!

Jun 14 06 03:44 am Link

Model

KevinGardner

They said they would give me 2 photo shoot's per year for 3 years and I can go back and brush up if I need to learn futhur more. They said they would get me assigments? The woman told me that mostly on the west coast (LA) and in New yk that they can afford to pick up talent because of the billion dollar industries I got stuck once by the alpha model group. I really appreciate you all  and your quick feedback. They suckered me in telling me I wouldn't have to pay anything and now this school thing. She said I knew alot but I needed to be trained it was 2200 dollars at 1st and then when she seen I wasn't biteing she dropped it to 1600. As an old saying goes you get me once shame on you if you get me twice shame on me  and if you get me 3 times "I deserved it!" Well you all have helped me with my decision. I wasn't trying to do it my mother which has never modeled was telling me to go for it. I'm not trying to get stiffed though.

THANKS,

If anyone knows of legitimate offers please don't hesistate to let me know or fwd my information to the proper person

www.alphamodelgroup.com/models/gardnerk2

Jun 14 06 04:02 am Link

Model

KevinGardner

They said they would give me 2 photo shoot's per year for 3 years and I can go back and brush up if I need to learn futhur more. They said they would get me assigments? The woman told me that mostly on the west coast (LA) and in New yk that they can afford to pick up talent because of the billion dollar industries I got stuck once by the alpha model group. I really appreciate you all  and your quick feedback. They suckered me in telling me I wouldn't have to pay anything and now this school thing. She said I knew alot but I needed to be trained it was 2200 dollars at 1st and then when she seen I wasn't biteing she dropped it to 1600. As an old saying goes you get me once shame on you if you get me twice shame on me  and if you get me 3 times "I deserved it!" Well you all have helped me with my decision. I wasn't trying to do it my mother which has never modeled was telling me to go for it. I'm not trying to get stiffed though.

THANKS,

If anyone knows of legitimate offers please don't hesistate to let me know or fwd my information to the proper person

Jun 14 06 04:07 am Link

Model

KevinGardner

THANKS,

Jun 14 06 04:07 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

John Casablanca's is a joke.

I know, 'cause they got me when I was 19.  It was a waste of time and money.  I've done more on my own in the last few years than I *EVER* did while under their so-called tutelage.  The photographer we were forced to work with was horrible, and any jobs that came through the "agency" always went to instructors before ever filtering down to any students.  If you give them your money, well, can't say you weren't warned.

Jun 14 06 07:50 pm Link

Model

Model Kari

QUEENS VILLAGE, New York, US

John Casablancas... SCAM SCAM SCAM

Jun 14 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

1625.00 is not free... sounds like a fee for "Model Camp."  I can think of better ways you could spend that kind of money.

Jun 14 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Kari Levine wrote:
John Casablancas... SCAM SCAM SCAM

I wish you wouldn't beat around the bush.  What are you trying to say?

Jun 14 06 08:29 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Alpha Modeling Group?  That's associated with "On Track Modeling", another known scam!!!

Please note that John Casablancas is simply a modeling school, and should not be considered a scam if they are able to provide the service of educating people to in the art and business of modeling.  If the particular Casablancas office is making promises of job offers, fame, and fortune... that may be considered as being a scam. 

In several jurisdictions which Casablancas operates, Talent Agencies must be specially licensed.  Usually those jurisdictions do not allow Talent Agencies to be owned or affiliated with schools.  If the particular Casablancas location is actually claiming that they are an agency, and are in such a jurisdiction, their actions may be deemed as illegal.  The original poster mentioned that Casablancas is attempting to claim that they can get jobs for him in California, which would not be legal because California is one of the jurisdictions where agencies must be specially licensed.

The problem is that many people simply overblow the situation, immediately calling Casablancas a 'scam' simply because they think that spending a large amount of money for 'education' is wrong to do.  If that type of thinking is 'true', then Harvard, Yale, and M.I.T. should be convicted of many felonies!!!

While I do not neccessarily recommend that people attend schools such as Casablancas to become models,  I don't condone their actions regarding education either, provided that the Casablancas office didn't pad their pitch with the claims of fame and fortune as previously mentioned.

Jun 14 06 09:01 pm Link

Photographer

Olaf S

Allentown, Pennsylvania, US

If they charge you $1625.00 for acting lessons, then what incentive do they have for booking work for you?  They've already made money off you, and it hasn't cost them a minute of time.

MAJOR conflict of interest.

Jun 14 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

Stan The Man

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

SIGN YOURSELF OUT!!!

Jun 14 06 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

James Graham

Brooklyn, New York, US

Oh, come on...

His son is the lead singer of THE STROKES...

~nuff said!

JMG

Jun 14 06 09:20 pm Link

Model

Smith

New York, New York, US

James Graham wrote:
Oh, come on...

His son is the lead singer of THE STROKES...

~nuff said!

JMG

Really?

Nuh uh!

Jun 14 06 09:26 pm Link