Forums > General Industry > Shoot Tomorrow, Model MIA???

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

Ok, I've been emailing back and forth with a model for about a week now setting up a shoot. We set a date for tomorrow, but I haven't heard from her since yesterday. The last message she sent me was asking if it was ok to push back the time of the shoot a couple of hours. I replied and said that was fine, and asked for her cell phone #, and gave her mine. She never replied to that message, nor has she called me. Now the shoot is tomorrow and it's about an hour and a half drive from here. What to do? I really would hate to drive all that way and her not show up.

Jun 13 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

Frank Perez Imagery

Redlands, California, US

what about taking a backup model.... worst case scenario you have two models to shoot.

Jun 13 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Perez Imagery wrote:
what about taking a backup model.... worst case scenario you have two models to shoot.

I would take a back up if I had one...It may be kind of late to get another model before noon tomorrow, but I might try.

Jun 13 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

yeah. I hate that feeling. For me, it's a pain in the ass to drag all of my gear down to the car and pack it all up and make sure my batteries are all charged up. I hate when I get the feeling that I'm doing all that for nothing.

Jun 13 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

You know da rules.  No calls, no e-mail, don't expect her to be there.
Write and call her once more tonight.  Be polite but express that unless
she calls and confirms tonight at some point you will assume the shoot is off.

Jun 13 06 10:53 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

John Jebbia wrote:
yeah. I hate that feeling. For me, it's a pain in the ass to drag all of my gear down to the car and pack it all up and make sure my batteries are all charged up. I hate when I get the feeling that I'm doing all that for nothing.

Yeah, its the worst. And that reminds me, I need to plug my batteries in....

Jun 13 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

revolution photography

Los Angeles, California, US

There's *nothing* worse than modelus flakius.

Chris
::rev

Jun 13 06 10:55 pm Link

Wardrobe Stylist

stylist man

New York, New York, US

Perez Imagery wrote:

And/or work with an agency.

Really for all the money photographers spend on equipment, no shows,  prints,  printing machines, etc,  even if you have to pay an agency to shoot their models.

Sometimes shoot less but make it count.

And agencies are usually willing to let you shoot their models for free.

Jun 13 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

miss z

San Francisco, California, US

I agree with Tony.  That is kind of unprofessional, whatever her reasons may be.  (Unless of course --- and I'm playing devil's advocate --- something tragic has occured!) So I hope you hear from her tonight!

Jun 13 06 10:56 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Tony Lawrence wrote:
You know da rules.  No calls, no e-mail, don't expect her to be there.
Write and call her once more tonight.  Be polite but express that unless
she calls and confirms tonight at some point you will assume the shoot is off.

She never replied to my email asking for her phone #, so I can't call her. I did send her a message earlier today asking if the shoot was still on, but still no reply. I'm wondering if I should even go up there.

Jun 13 06 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

MHana wrote:

Really for all the money photographers spend on equipment, no shows,  prints,  printing machines, etc,  even if you have to pay an agency to shoot their models.

For free? I'm pretty new at this, how do I get in on that deal?

Jun 13 06 11:00 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Zorina Seva wrote:
I agree with Tony.  That is kind of unprofessional, whatever her reasons may be.  (Unless of course --- and I'm playing devil's advocate --- something tragic has occured!) So I hope you hear from her tonight!

I hope nothing tragic has happened! I'd rather her just be a flake. This particular model has a few shoots under her belt with photographers on this site, so I really didn't expect her to just drop off communication.

Jun 13 06 11:02 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I'm finding that models who are more active on the site are much less likely to flake. So, lately i've been targeting those types of models more and more.

Jun 13 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Israel wrote:

She never replied to my email asking for her phone #, so I can't call her. I did send her a message earlier today asking if the shoot was still on, but still no reply. I'm wondering if I should even go up there.

Israel, you are talented and from what I've read  a nice guy.  Do you not deserve respect at least the respect of a phone call and or e-mail?  Sure something may have happened.  However don't drive around your block without
confirming with her.  Maybe she'll be there and if so come back here and cuss
me out but if she's not you've saved your time and your sanity.  Like I said e-mail
her once more.  Express that without a call, forget even a e-mail that you
won't make the trip.  The bad thing about e-mails, etc. is that computers break,etc.  So a phone number and cell is the best way to go but I'm betting
she doesn't show.  Here's the deal maker or breaker.  Does she have your number?
If so and you don't have hers and she knows it then she needs to call and confirm.
Something could have happened to you.

Jun 13 06 11:14 pm Link

Photographer

revolution photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I'd have to agree, setting up a shoot withot even *talking* to him/her on the phone is more than a little odd. You may have set yourself up for it. It's a shame, either way. Poor communication prior to a shoot is just a bad omen, the shots might suffer even if he/she does show. Hoping for the best, nonetheless...

Chris

Jun 13 06 11:21 pm Link

Model

Gio

Miami, Arizona, US

Does this remind you of a typical "Vinci" session on 8th and Ocean? lol

I wouldn't waste my time with her. She should be responsible enough to get in touch with you. Even if a computer is broken, we live in an age where it's practically impossible to not have a computer somewhere nearby, even if it means a 5-minute drive to your local library. If I were you, I wouldn't count on her being there tomorrow. Good luck.

Jun 13 06 11:26 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

revolution photography wrote:
I'd have to agree, setting up a shoot withot even *talking* to him/her on the phone is more than a little odd. You may have set yourself up for it. It's a shame, either way. Poor communication prior to a shoot is just a bad omen, the shots might suffer even if he/she does show. Hoping for the best, nonetheless...

Chris

lol, I know, and what's so ironic is that I started a thread about that very subject!

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=52262

Jun 13 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Michael A Downs Studio

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Irresponsible and flaky model it seems.  I wouldn't take the chance. Moveon.org. LOL

Jun 13 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Tony Lawrence wrote:

Israel, you are talented and from what I've read  a nice guy.  Do you not deserve respect at least the respect of a phone call and or e-mail?  Sure something may have happened.  However don't drive around your block without
confirming with her.  Maybe she'll be there and if so come back here and cuss
me out but if she's not you've saved your time and your sanity.  Like I said e-mail
her once more.  Express that without a call, forget even a e-mail that you
won't make the trip.  The bad thing about e-mails, etc. is that computers break,etc.  So a phone number and cell is the best way to go but I'm betting
she doesn't show.  Here's the deal maker or breaker.  Does she have your number?
If so and you don't have hers and she knows it then she needs to call and confirm.
Something could have happened to you.

Thanks for the compliments! I'll take your advice and send one more email asking her to call and confirm tomorrow morning, or else I'm not going. She does have my phone #, so hopefully it will all turn out.

Jun 13 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Gio wrote:
Does this remind you of a typical "Vinci" session on 8th and Ocean? lol

I wouldn't waste my time with her. She should be responsible enough to get in touch with you. Even if a computer is broken, we live in an age where it's practically impossible to not have a computer somewhere nearby, even if it means a 5-minute drive to your local library. If I were you, I wouldn't count on her being there tomorrow. Good luck.

Yeah, plus she has my phone #, so it seems she would have at least called.

Jun 13 06 11:36 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Michael A Downs wrote:
Irresponsible and flaky model it seems.  I wouldn't take the chance. Moveon.org. LOL

lol, yeah, probably right!

Jun 13 06 11:38 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

She just showed up on AIM, good thing I'm a late night person!

Jun 13 06 11:48 pm Link

Photographer

myfotographer

Fresno, California, US

There are 2 suprising things to me on this thread.

1.) I would think that models from the OP's area would be "volunteering" to pick up the lost work.  Surely there is one that isn't shooting during this time

and

2.) The OP is really agonizing over this.  Even if he gets his answer, now that he have found her on AIM, he should make sure she reads the thread.

Finally, I wish the OP a great shoot.  Maybe she'll even show up.

Jun 14 06 12:04 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

revolution photography wrote:

Chris

I have never been a no-show and I sometimes don't speak to the photographer on the phone first.  Most of my free time is late at night, so it's easier for me to communicate through e-mail.

Anyway, I say don't go.

Jun 14 06 12:10 am Link

Model

Sabina N

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

It's rare, but some people really don't have phone access. If she's a student, living in residence, she may very well not afford a line in her room. Of course, there are payphones all over most campi...

I live in an apartment, and just got a phoneline today - after months without one. I couldn't afford it, with the other bills, food, and travel expenses for modeling tongue Yay, Vonage Internet phone...

But - the closest payphone is a 20-minute walk from my place, and that can be a drag... if necessary, of course I'd go and use it; it's not that far. Just kinda lame.

So, in order to avoid any mishaps like this one, I put money into the Internet bill, so I might never be without Mayhem, and make sure I respond promptly enough to messages. Also, I try to let photographers know as soon as possible that I don't have a phone, and thus give them the choice of not dealing with me, if it seems too risky.

~S.

PS What's the verdict on the shoot?

Jun 14 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

Israel wrote:
She just showed up on AIM, good thing I'm a late night person!

Please don't keep us in suspence!!!

Jun 14 06 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

from time to time i'll get a [mean] note from a freelance model as to my only dealing with agency talent for my commercial projects; an agency, should the need arise, can likely furnish a replacement in timely manner whereas there's usually no one behind a free-lancer.

just two cents ...

FML

Jun 14 06 12:14 am Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Ed Stevenson wrote:
There are 2 suprising things to me on this thread.

1.) I would think that models from the OP's area would be "volunteering" to pick up the lost work.  Surely there is one that isn't shooting during this time

and

2.) The OP is really agonizing over this.  Even if he gets his answer, now that he have found her on AIM, he should make sure she reads the thread.

Finally, I wish the OP a great shoot.  Maybe she'll even show up.

haha, thanks! Maybe I'll kindly direct her to the thread...

Jun 14 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Ok, so the verdict on the shoot....I talked to her and she said she was about to reply to my email, but she had been out and busy all day (had another shoot). She also doesn't have her own transportation, and the girl who was supposed to give her a ride never called her back. She has another "friend" who is willing to take her to the shoot for $10 gas money (nice friends). I offered to pick her up, but she said no (maybe I'm a psycho?), so instead I'm paying for half the gas bill for her ride. She doesn't have a cell phone, but she gave me her home phone#. So as of now, the shoot is on. Still sounds sort of up in the air since she doesn't have her own transportation. I figure I'll just cruise up there and if she doesn't show then I can do some location scouting and still have a productive day.

Jun 14 06 12:41 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

A young girl without a cell phone? Do they exist?

Jun 14 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

W__

Bloomfield, Connecticut, US

She wont show. Sorry to tell you that, but it won't happen. If she does, will you even be in the mood to really shoot and not just snap?

I would take the drive and search for locations for the next time a shoot is in the area. Or shop for props, sit down get a latte at a non Starbucks and read the paper with your camera on the table. You more then likely will get a gig from doing that. I don't know how many times I've done a quick headshot for someone between lattes.

In other words don't let it get to you. It happens, make the most of it.

Bill

Jun 14 06 12:49 am Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Hmmm, Starbucks networking...I might just try that!

Jun 14 06 12:53 am Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Let us know how this ends up!!  We've got a pool going!!  wink

Jun 14 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

MHana wrote:

They're pretty selective about that, aren't they?  I doubt most of us on MM could have our pick of agency models.  (She says longingly.)

Jun 14 06 08:43 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Ok, I don't know who's going to win the pool, but she showed up! It was raining all day though, made it a tough location shoot. She even called me to confirm the shoot this morning since it was raining. The two new pics in my port are from today's shoot, check 'em out!

Jun 14 06 10:11 pm Link