Forums > General Industry > 1st SF Acting Audition

Model

Victoria E

West Hartford, Connecticut, US

I've got an audition in the Mission for an indie movie on June 29th.  Before I read a sample from the movie script, I have to perform a 2-minute classical or modern monologue.

Oh dear.

It's been over 3 years since I've done any acting and I don't remember any of my old monologues, let alone what they were from.  Any suggestions for good monologue pieces?

Jun 13 06 09:07 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

You could browse through some of these:
http://www.actorpoint.com/free_monologues/0a.html

Jun 13 06 10:03 pm Link

Model

Victoria E

West Hartford, Connecticut, US

Thanks Josie smile You rock

Jun 14 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Visur Fine Art Photo

Carmel Valley Village, California, US

Two words:  Wendy Wasserstein

Jun 14 06 05:33 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Anything from Much Ado About Nothing works for me :-)

Jun 14 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

PK Digital Imaging

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

The beginning of the final gun fight in Scarface wink

Jun 16 06 02:47 am Link

Model

Lydia Chen

Oakland, California, US

Christopher Ambler wrote:
Anything from Much Ado About Nothing works for me :-)

I think the general consensus from audition guides is NOT to do a Shakespeare monologue unless you're auditioning for a Shakespeare play or similar sort of production  smile

Jun 16 06 04:22 am Link

Model

Danica Lee

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Try and pick something that opposes the script you have to read to show your range.

If you want to do something emotional I can suggest you steal the 'monologue' from Silence of the Lambs where Starling confesses to Lecter about her fathers murder and why she ran away from her Uncles farm. I think that goes for a few minutes and swings from tentative to emotional.

Hardest part of that is - can you cry on cue? It's really embarrassing when you can't cry wink

Most people I know pick the 'out damn spot' monologue for Lady Macbeth in Macbeth. But I think that one goes on for quite a while. Could prove to be problematic if you dont have much time to rehearse.

EDIT: Oh, and did they specifiy if it has to be a monologue from a play or if you have the flexibility to choose something from a movie?

Jun 16 06 06:32 am Link