Forums > General Industry > 'understand' the release beofre signing...

Photographer

cosfrog

San Diego, California, US

Found this article this morning. In a nut shell a female tennis player shot for an article and afterwards agreed to do a couple topless for the photographer with a 'verbal' agreement that they were for his personal use.

Later they were used in another article in a different mag. She sued stating she didn't 'understand' the model release and her english was poor....she lost, judge stating that 'understanding' is not an excuse and that the written aggrement trumped any verbal agreement made after signing.

http://www.wnbc.com/sports/4744278/detail.html

Jul 20 05 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Monsante Bey

Columbus, Georgia, US

I give models a copy of the release form so if a problem arises, they can read it.

Jul 20 05 11:36 am Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

Indeed. I put mine up on my web site and ask that they read it and agree before we ever schedule a shoot!

Jul 20 05 11:44 am Link

Model

Pinky

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I can not say this enough.  I read everything before I sign it.  If I don't understand or have questions about a release I ask for clarification.  If I shoot with a photographer 5 times and he has me sign a release each time, I read it every time.  It's best to have EVERYTHING in writing.

Jul 20 05 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

jO3Design

Los Angeles, California, US

hahahahaha for some reason I find that article really funny, just laughing through the whole way...

Maybe I'm just twisted like that, but seems to me like that was one smart photog...

Jul 20 05 04:42 pm Link