Forums > General Industry > Why do models...

Photographer

N_3

Chicago, Illinois, US

...almost always wait until they're 29 to do nudes?

Jun 13 06 07:33 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

1. They have more time

2. They know what they are comfortable with

Jun 13 06 07:49 pm Link

Model

zandila

Seattle, Washington, US

aaw...not all of us do!

Jun 13 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

D. Brian Nelson

Rapid City, South Dakota, US

Seems to me most start at 18.  Maybe it's regional.

-Don

Jun 13 06 07:54 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

It's not just models. Women, in general, become more sexually agressive around 30-35. Some kind of hormonal shift around that age.

Jun 13 06 08:44 pm Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

I see more 18-25 nudes than anything and it's boring...same body style, same poses, same water splashing over same size boobs..hahaha!

To answer your question about the age of 29, a woman finally knows who she is and is comfortable with herself, her sexuality, etc.  The height of sexuality is true as well, but I peronally feel nudity is no longer a "sexual" thing, that it is beauty in its rawest form.

BUT who am I to say anything, just some almost 30 year old who waited until i was 28 and *gasp* 7 months pregnant to do nudes.

big_smile

Jun 13 06 09:49 pm Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

groupw wrote:
It's not just models. Women, in general, become more sexually agressive around 30-35. Some kind of hormonal shift around that age.

While that is a fact, I don't think that nude models are sexually aggresive with their photographers.  Maybe I'm just left in the dark and doing things wrong.  But if that's true, I don't want to do things right.  Yeesh.

Jun 13 06 10:08 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I remember something a fetish model friend of mine said a few months ago.  I might not have it verbatim, but it was something along the lines of:

"Man, I wish I had the confidence in my body that I do now but the body I had as a teen..."

I'm guessing that finally being comfortable in one's skin has a lot to do with it.

And yes, my friend is in her early 30s.  She's still got a totally rockin' body though. smile

Jun 13 06 10:09 pm Link

Photographer

David Edens

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Im going to get flamed for this.

Many attractive women(models) realize there loosing their influince over men.(compared to the 18 year olds) at that age and it does not help they realize they may not have any more children.   The attention from doing nudes gives them the assurance they are still attractive and they may be more comfortable with it than they were when they were younger. 

Countless holllwood actresses have done the same.  The ones I feel for are the ones
that realize too late they would have enjoyed the attention their beauty brought to
them while they were still young.  They get a little older and become despereate to
recapture a little of what could have been.  sad

Jun 13 06 10:18 pm Link

Model

overandout

Aberdeen, Washington, US

David Edens wrote:

Many attractive women(models) realize there loosing their influince over men.(compared to the 18 year olds) at that age and it does not help they realize they may not have any more children.   The attention from doing nudes gives them the assurance they are still attractive and they may be more comfortable with it than they were when they were younger. 

Countless holllwood actresses have done the same.  The ones I feel for are the ones
that realize too late they would have enjoyed the attention their beauty brought to
them while they were still young.  They get a little older and become despereate to

oooooh my goodness!

I'm just going to sit back and watch this one.

Jun 13 06 10:23 pm Link

Model

isani

Los Angeles, California, US

if youre still modeling at 30 you gotta get naked to stay in the game, haha smile

Jun 13 06 10:38 pm Link

Model

ash smith

London, England, United Kingdom

i think that the older one gets, the less more confident they become... also, by late twenties, thirties etc a woman is more sure of herself... that just an opinion, throw it away if you'd like...

Jun 13 06 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

If a model 29 or over ever asks me to photograph her nude, I'll chime in...  LOL

Jun 13 06 10:51 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I don't think men are qualified to answer this question.

Jun 13 06 10:55 pm Link

Model

Model Mel

OK OK I CAN ANSWER THIS !!!!!! I'm 28 and I dont do nudes but I have three REASONS why ,  My facial Expression Sucks so the pics come out like Ive never modeled a day in my life , I have a husband would be be enraged and use them against me when we fight , & I dont want everyone in my family or my field or work knowing whats under my suit ! smile So maybe AFTER I HIT 29 I just wont give a SH@T anymore   !!! Lmao ! Take it for what its worth , its been a while model mayhem nice to see you guys again !

Jun 13 06 11:01 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

It's like asking why no male photographer starts shooting good nudes until he's 48. It's not true, but it's got enough validity to conjure up some speculation.

Jun 13 06 11:05 pm Link

Model

theda

New York, New York, US

I dunno. I started at 19. I think you're probably just wrong.

Jun 13 06 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Married 24 years. Worked in an office for 11 years.... 650 employees..95% women. My job kept me in contact with the vast majority of them. You would be amazed at what you can learn about women in such an evironment if you pay attention..

Jun 13 06 11:27 pm Link

Model

Moon Slide

Oakland, California, US

Because that is around the time most women accept their body as their own, not what any one else has told them.

Then they realize they are REAL and are proud of themselves!

Jun 13 06 11:33 pm Link

Model

The_N_Word

New York, New York, US

theda wrote:
I dunno. I started at 19. I think you're probably just wrong.

I concur.

That's what people do around here right? Concur?

Jun 13 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

John Jebbia wrote:

Why not?  Men can be models, too.

Jun 13 06 11:42 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Does that mean I get to take nude photos of you the next time we shoot, Brian?  smile

Jun 14 06 01:14 am Link

Model

Kelly Kooper

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I waited until I was 23 before I did topless/art modeling (I've been modeling for 5 years) and it was a question of comfort for me. It took me that long to accept my body for what it was (and admittedly, also to adjust to a better diet and exercise routine) and that long for me to be mentally prepared for all the additional problems that go along with posing nude. i.e. the overeactions, the abuses, the generalisations. I couldn't have handled any of it before. You really need to watch and learn before you jump into any sort of 'tease' modeling I think.

Jun 14 06 08:22 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Brian Diaz wrote:

Ok. You got me there. I assumed the OP meant women.

Jun 14 06 08:38 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I started at 20 so there!!

Jun 14 06 08:43 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

groupw wrote:

Married 24 years. Worked in an office for 11 years.... 650 employees..95% women. My job kept me in contact with the vast majority of them. You would be amazed at what you can learn about women in such an evironment if you pay attention..

Meow, hiss hiss?

Jun 14 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

N3 Media wrote:
...almost always wait until they're 29 to do nudes?

Because they then realize they've wasted their youth stuck on all that "it'll ruin my career" crap. So now they're trying to play catch up... But it's too late.

Jun 14 06 09:26 am Link

Model

Chill Factor

New York, New York, US

It could be that, they become mature and comfortable enough in their own skin around that age to do it?  ,,,hmm dunno

Jun 14 06 09:31 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

DarioImpiniPhotography wrote:

Meow, hiss hiss?

Yeah. You're probably right. I wasn't in the best of moods last night..

Jun 14 06 03:07 pm Link

Model

Edyn

Doylestown, Pennsylvania, US

David Edens wrote:

I'm going to have to agree with him to some degree. I'm sure a lot of women feel this way. I've seen the 30+ years olds at a bar dying for attention. You've seen them too I'm sure! But its not always the case. Especially with the women on this site. I'm sure they'll all tell you that when they look this good at 30 and with the increased confidence that comes with age they get more attention from men then before:)

Personally, I do implied now simply because I wasn't ready to until now. Believe it or not my body is actually in better shape now after 2 kids then in college when I originally entertained the idea. Not that I was ever heavy but for some reason my metabolism and body shape changed. It also has a lot to do with becoming my own person and not really caring as much what daddy would think.

Jun 14 06 03:17 pm Link