Forums > General Industry > Question about contracts and client not fulfilling

Photographer

EASE photography

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

I've got a question for those on the site.  I had a contract to photograph my best friend's younger brother's wedding.  The contract was agreed upon and signed by myself and the bride and groom.  The wedding came and went, and I provided the proof book to the couple on time.

The couple gave birth to a very sick little boy 5 weeks later (after wedding date).  As a favour, I gave them the thank you photos early, so they could get them out and not worry about them.  When these were delivered, I also gave the couple a final invoice.  He said he would take care of it.

As the boy was very sick and needed surgery, I didn't press the matter of payment until 4 months later.  Is this unreasonable?  I would think not.

Promises of payments were made, and broken.  I left a letter at his mom's house today (no longer knowing where the couple were living - he negliected to tell me).  Lo and behold, he calls all pissed off because I am demanding payment.  It has now been over a year and money for this wedding came out of my pocket last year!

He is now demanding that he no longer wants to purchase everything that was agreed upon.  His excuse for not paying the final balance was that he thought the payment was due when he received the wedding albums (which would mean more money out of my pocket!).  I agreed to remove several enlargements at his request.

Where am I being unreasonable in all this?  If he had gone to another photographer who made his living at this, would that other photographer have accepted this?

Just wanting some other thoughts on this.

Jun 13 06 06:33 pm Link