Forums > General Industry > what really makes a good model...

Photographer

bruno rand photography

recently I read a couple of criticisms from models about the ability or lack of ability of the photographer to "make them come out of their shell" to get a great photo... this really made me think...

I've shot hundreds of models in the past few years, and I can tell within the first few seconds of a shoot if a model "has it" or not...  I think modeling is a performing art, just as singing, acting or dancing, and some people have the drive to perform, to exhibit themselves for public view, and they enjoy that attention... those people usually make the best models...

persons who are shy in front of the camera and who are uncomfortable performing for the camera take terrible pics because that fear and insecurity shows in the pics...

the best models have a natural spark, a twinkle in the eyes, a passion which shows...

this might explain also why so many models on Model Mayhem take some decent pics but can't get signed with an agency or book actual jobs... and they constantly wonder what's wrong...

modeling is 10% looks and 90% personality... agents and bookers see beautiful people and great pics every day... they're looking for something more, that spark, that twinkle, that passion...

anyone can stand in front of a camera, but does everyone have that intangible passion?

what do you think?

Jun 13 06 10:33 am Link

Model

Cristal Steverson

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I concur.

Jun 13 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

Thomasio

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Some of my best photographs are from models who weren't comfortable in front of the camera... the trick was to catch them off guard, with natural expressions.

If the person is genuine, you can usually capture that in a photo. Otherwise, you have your work cut out for you.

~Thomas~

Jun 13 06 10:35 am Link

Model

Brooke Brite

Manhattan, Kansas, US

I agree! It takes so much more than a pretty face/body to be a model. Most people (outside of the industry, and some inside) don't understand that! smile

Jun 13 06 10:38 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

bruno rand photography wrote:
modeling is 10% looks and 90% personality... agents and bookers see beautiful people and great pics every day... they're looking for something more, that spark, that twinkle, that passion...

I don't for a moment want to minimize what a skilled (note:  I did NOT say "experienced", and neither did you) model can bring to a shoot.  I've been blessed to work with some very good ones.  But it seems to me that looks is a very large component of modeling - certainly a good deal more than 10% - and that it really is the job of the photographer to bring out what is needed.

That said, I have encountered a few models who simply were not capable of it - but that's a great rarity, in my experience.

Jun 13 06 10:39 am Link

Photographer

bruno rand photography

I don't disagree with anything any of my fellow photographers are saying... everyone has their own shooting styles and work situations...

I think the situation about which I was referring was an actual, high power, high paying fashion shoot for which a company or client is paying thousands of dollars a day... I assume most of the MM models aspire to such work... on those shoots, no photographer/AD will wait to capture an unguarded moment, they expect the model to perform, and to perform with a professional consistency... therefore an agency will never sign a "dead fish" model, ( a model who lacks passion), because they know that model will not have the ability to "perform" in an artistic situation...

sometimes I work with first time models, helping them shoot their portfolios and helping some to get signed in NYC with top ten agencies, and the most difficult job is to explain to a new model that he/she has the looks but not the "passion" to model at a top level... agencies smell that lack of passion a mile away!

usually the only disagreement in NYC among photographers is whether that passion can be learned by a model or it must occur naturally...

Jun 13 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Symbiosis

Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

It's the eyes that make the difference between good and great.

And, the trick is to catch them off guard, catch them doing something other than just posing. Distract them with a quick joke, an unexpected remark, a question....and catch their reaction.

Cheers,
Mel

Jun 13 06 11:03 am Link

Model

Austen Parker

well, I have never modeled yet and I probably will be shy the first time, along with my twin...but isn't that ok for your first few times in front of the camera? Who knows, maybe I won't be but most likely it will be a new feeling and need time to get used to smile I hope to get some great pictures taken this summer to submit to a ery large agency out of Chicago or NYC. I am just worried about that whole "mother agency" thing if in the future I got good and so on and wanted to sign with an even more elite agency.

if anyone has advice for me please let me know (message me) I would like to be as knowledgable on all this as I can, because I start this world of modelling thisa summer after June 14th

Jun 13 06 11:05 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

I look at the first roll of a shoot as the "getting to know you" roll. It's a chance for both of us to become more comfortable with the process and become familiar with each others style of working. I don't expect great shots from this roll but the relaxed feeling following it can lead to some nice stuff in the subsequent rolls.

Jun 13 06 11:12 am Link

Photographer

bruno rand photography

at the risk of "beating a dead horse", my original post was not really about taking good pics... I agree with everyone that, yes, eventually anyone can get a good pic out of a model, even a "dead fish" one, with a joke, an unguarded remark, a second shoot, etc...

but my original remarks were about those models who wonder why they don't have more success getting signed or getting work... it's about so much more than just taking good pics... anyone can take a good photograph, but the top models all have that intangible quality called "passion"... it's also an ability to perform for the camera much in the same way a good actor performs... that spark is either natual or it's learned, but it's what separates working models from those who simply aspire...

enough from me... good luck to everyone and keep up the beautiful work!

Jun 13 06 11:31 am Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

I don't understand the question.....  sad

Jun 13 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

Shyama Shoots

Saint John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada

I completely agree with everything this original post has brought forward. I myself work the same as you and will know within seconds of just meeting someone before I even get to the shooting part whether it will work or not.

And it definitely is not all about looks, there are so many pretty girls and handsome guys out there. A dime a dozen so to speak, there has to be personailty and feeling behind the shots. An emotion in the eyes, with a lot of models I see on here it just isn't there. There needs to be that spark, that passion, and fire in the models' soul behind every shot.

And it definitely doesn't all come from experience, people either have it or they don't. The model (who is not even a model) that people seem to comment on most in my portfolio is Robin. I have her featured on my page here, she is the girl on location in the clay hills and also posing as the party girl and Lolita. I found her while taking the public transit here in Ontario. We worked great together, she has a very unguarded personality and even offered to let me colour her hair from her natural blonde to dark auburn for my Lolita shot. The only "modeling" she had done was helping out a few friends who were in her High School.

This is getting long but I have a story from a good friend of mine. He did a week long intership with Raphael Mazzucco, photographer for GUESS, Holt Renfrew, Victoria Secret etc.

My friend was there to help with the Holt shoot and Raph and his team had just returned from the bahamas somewhere shooting the latest Victoria Secret catalogue. One of Raph's assistants told my friend Jay a story about Giselle Bundchen's shoot. He said she was alive in front of the camera and only made tiny little adjusts to her posing because she knew what worked for her. Some people will say that's experience which it is but its also a huge showing of self-awareness.

When she walked onto the set she looked at the photographer and said "Raph if you don't have this in 2 rolls, you don't got it."

Haha, loved that playful cockiness.

Jun 13 06 11:51 am Link

Model

Richfonseca

San Francisco, California, US

Jun 13 06 11:52 am Link

Model

Richfonseca

I think the situation about which I was referring was an actual, high power, high paying fashion shoot for which a company or client is paying thousands of dollars a day... I assume most of the MM models aspire to such work... on those shoots, no photographer/AD will wait to capture an unguarded moment, they expect the model to perform, and to perform with a professional consistency... therefore an agency will never sign a "dead fish" model, ( a model who lacks passion), because they know that model will not have the ability to "perform" in an artistic situation...
--------------------------------------------------------------

not much truth to that, i've been on quite a few high paying jobs, everyone waits for the model, if i wanna get creative they like that, it's all about learning to be comfortable in front of the camera, it doesn't happen overnight, and looks account for 40%+ charisma get you through the door. as for a high paying shoot, it's all about what the client wants at that time. but the photographer need to know how to direct that is 80% of a good photographer, then the photos make themselves

Jun 13 06 11:57 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

A good model is able to take an idea/vision that a photographer proposes and and make that idea/vision come to life.

Jun 13 06 12:02 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Q: "what really makes a good model..."

A: Sugar....  Spice....  A bullwhip?

Jun 13 06 12:06 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Randall

Chicago, Illinois, US

WG Rowland wrote:
Q: "what really makes a good model..."

A: Sugar....  Spice....  A bullwhip?

Is the sugar really necessary?

Jun 13 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Brooke Brite wrote:
I agree! It takes so much more than a pretty face/body to be a model. Most people (outside of the industry, and some inside) don't understand that! smile

So true! And I had to learn that the hard way when my former agent sent me to my first casting and I had forgot my portfolio at home. I was like "whatever, I'm the prettiest, and skinniest girl in this room. I'll get it." Yeah right! The photog told me to leave. sad

Lesson learned well. smile

Jun 13 06 12:34 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Shyama Photography wrote:
. One of Raph's assistants told my friend Jay a story about Giselle Bundchen's shoot. He said she was alive in front of the camera and only made tiny little adjusts to her posing because she knew what worked for her. Some people will say that's experience which it is but its also a huge showing of self-awareness.

When she walked onto the set she looked at the photographer and said "Raph if you don't have this in 2 rolls, you don't got it."

Haha, loved that playful cockiness.

How interesting. So what takes a model to know what looks good for her? Practice in front of the mirror I suppose? I think i am beggining to learn this. How do other models practice? Any ideas

Jun 13 06 12:37 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Among many other things:

Being able to portray the right emotions in a photo despite cold, heat or pain. Holding a pose while the photographer pauses for a moment, your muscles screaming under the weight that is shifted unevenly onto one leg or arm, and then wiping that pain from your face when the photographer points the camera at you again and giving him/her what they need.

Jun 13 06 12:38 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

ANNABELLA wrote:
How interesting. So what takes a model to know what looks good for her? Practice in front of the mirror I suppose? I think i am beggining to learn this. How do other models practice? Any ideas

If the photographer gives you a cd, or allows you to look through all of the photos from a shoot, you can study your movements and see what looks good or bad. You can study how you look when the light hits you from different angles. You can find the poses that complement your body the most, and then remember these things. You see what works and what to never do again, lol! When I shoot, I love feedback from the photographer, but I also trying to be aware of the placement of my chin, legs, hands, etc. The mirror is cool, but I like looking at outtakes so that I can see the poses, combined with lighting, etc and how they look on camera.

Jun 13 06 12:58 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

bruno rand photography wrote:

Thats where you are wrong. Many models here on MM *don't* aspire to "such work" - myself included. Please don't attempt to put us all in the same box, because we simple all don't fit! I model as a part time job. It pays the rent and keeps gas in my truck, and is helping me to get out to Colorado this summer for a huge learning opportunity. I wouldn't be doing it without my modeling jobs. I have no desire to get into anything major, I'm just not cut out for it. The attitudes are enough to deal with just through here.

Beyond that, I think you are right - modeling is a form of acting. I'm not terrific at it, but I do the best I can. I enjoy it, particularly the artistic aspect of that. Having been studying art as long as I could hold a pencil and put it to paper, I can very much relate to creating art. So creating art with my body is just an extension of that. I'm no actor, but art I can relate to. Thats how I am successful. Put me infront of another artist, and I bloom. Put me infront of someone that is just taking snapshots, and the result is much different. I still try my best, but I am learning that aspect of modeling. I continue to learn each time I shoot, and I like to think that I get a little bit better sustaining myself each time I go through that type of situation. But for a really good artist that can explain what they want from me, its hardly work.

Jun 13 06 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

Valkyrur

Nelsonville, New York, US

well ... a nude model is always a good model.
motivation counts the most ...

Jun 13 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

miss z

Nomad Photography wrote:
It's the eyes that make the difference between good and great.

And, the trick is to catch them off guard, catch them doing something other than just posing. Distract them with a quick joke, an unexpected remark, a question....and catch their reaction.

Cheers,
Mel

That's what I was waiting to hear!

Jun 13 06 09:56 pm Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Angel Tara wrote:
If the photographer gives you a cd, or allows you to look through all of the photos from a shoot, you can study your movements and see what looks good or bad. You can study how you look when the light hits you from different angles. You can find the poses that complement your body the most, and then remember these things. You see what works and what to never do again, lol! When I shoot, I love feedback from the photographer, but I also trying to be aware of the placement of my chin, legs, hands, etc. The mirror is cool, but I like looking at outtakes so that I can see the poses, combined with lighting, etc and how they look on camera.

Thats good advice. I've had one photog that I have shot with a couple times whose been nice enough between takes to let me look at the shots so far which really helps when you're trying to see what works and doesn't for you. I still need help in what to do with my arms at times. But I'm working my overall body pretty well.

Jun 13 06 10:04 pm Link