Forums > Newbie Forum > Male Body Measurements

Model

BoldDevil

Denver, Colorado, US

The site asks for "waist" and "hips".  I understand women using those measurements, but not for men. 

Where on the body do men take those measurements?  Just above the navel for 'waist'?  Around the pelvic bone or buttocks for 'hips'?

Jun 13 06 01:50 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

on male measurements it's not all that different from where you take them on females.  the waist is still right where your belly button is because that is obviously your waist and that's where we measure when we make clothes.  your hips are a few inches below your belly button around the largest and fullest area there.

Jun 13 06 02:52 am Link

Model

Joshua K. R.

Los Angeles, California, US

I think it looks really stupid for anyone to wear their pants at or around the naval level. . . In some cases its good and makes you appear taller, however for most it shrinks the torso to much and makes you appear like a grandmother with osteoporosis, and it can also make your legs look horribly long. . . like a giraffe’s neck compared to body long, if you know  what  mean.  However if those are the measurements desired it's what I’ll give, that is my wonderful opinion!

Josh

Jun 13 06 03:16 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Joshua K. R. wrote:
I think it looks really stupid for anyone to wear their pants at or around the naval level. . . In some cases its good and makes you appear taller, however for most it shrinks the torso to much and makes you appear like a grandmother with osteoporosis, and it can also make your legs look horribly long. . . like a giraffe’s neck compared to body long, if you know  what  mean.  However if those are the measurements desired it's what I’ll give, that is my wonderful opinion!

Josh

LOL, you probably don't know much about sewing huh?  We don't measure it there to always make the pants at that level.  It has to do with how the shape of the patterns that need to be made and cut are.

Jun 13 06 03:25 am Link

Model

Joshua K. R.

Los Angeles, California, US

Thuy Anh wrote:

LOL, you probably don't know much about sewing huh?  We don't measure it there to always make the pants at that level.  It has to do with how the shape of the patterns that need to be made and cut are.

Yeah I totally understand you there, I just felt like stating one of my pet peeves.  smile

Jun 13 06 03:32 am Link

Model

Tom Sullivan

People can tell a lot from your stats so its good to get them right.  You can see from peoples photos that their stats are just not right.  Its even worse when models dont bother to put their stats down on their profiles.

I forget the formula that is used to get guys bodies in the right proportion but I think a guys chest should be 10-12 inches bigger than his waist, and his hips 5-6 inches bigger.  I think.  If a muscular guy doesnt have this then its sometimes a sign that the guy is on steroids.

Jun 13 06 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

Joshua K. R. wrote:

Yeah I totally understand you there, I just felt like stating one of my pet peeves.  smile

yeah, by no means do we want strange looking guys wearing pants over the belly button or too close to that region, it just looks too funny. lol

Jun 13 06 03:45 am Link