Forums > Hair, Makeup & Styling > Insurance on your kit

Makeup Artist

Lily Wasik

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

This is something I've been considering for some time, yet haven't actually gone through with. I'm tempting fate I know, and I've had some minor bites in the butt with not having my kit insured, but I just wonder if it's even something most people in the field do? So I'm curious- do you have your kit insured? If you do, is it the whole kit, just certain items, and what do you have insurance against?

Jun 12 06 10:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Lily Wasik wrote:
This is something I've been considering for some time, yet haven't actually gone through with. I'm tempting fate I know, and I've had some minor bites in the butt with not having my kit insured, but I just wonder if it's even something most people in the field do? So I'm curious- do you have your kit insured? If you do, is it the whole kit, just certain items, and what do you have insurance against?

I looked into it but the insurace company would only cover it with a bunch of stuff like liabiltiy and the cost was about $500.00 a year....I have had my kit stolen once in over 20 years and so $500.00 a year wouldnt be worth it.  I just figure if I have it stolen once every 3 years it may be worth it.  I dont see that happening.

Did you know you can have LOJACK placed in your kit?  Its cheaper then insuring it probably...I just found this out when listening to an ad for LOJACK.  They say they place them with laptops and if thats the case they can do it in your kit I would imagine.

Jun 12 06 10:37 am Link

Makeup Artist

Lily Wasik

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah, that's what I've been afraid of. I'll look that safety/recovery system.

Jun 12 06 11:33 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

Mary wrote:

I looked into it but the insurace company would only cover it with a bunch of stuff like liabiltiy and the cost was about $500.00 a year....I have had my kit stolen once in over 20 years and so $500.00 a year wouldnt be worth it.  I just figure if I have it stolen once every 3 years it may be worth it.  I dont see that happening.

Did you know you can have LOJACK placed in your kit?  Its cheaper then insuring it probably...I just found this out when listening to an ad for LOJACK.  They say they place them with laptops and if thats the case they can do it in your kit I would imagine.

Its so funny because I was totally thinking about that the other day. Wouldn't you love to see somebody go to jail for stealing make-up. I think in CA if it is over $5000 or something it is a felony. It would be a victorious day for make-up artists.

Jun 12 06 02:42 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Make Up the Design

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

I had my kit stolen right before i finished school....well...my entire truck was stolen with my kit in it.  Luckily I had house insurance and that covered it.  Mind you too, this is in Canada, dont know if its the same over there.

Jun 12 06 03:03 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tiffany Journot

Frisco, Colorado, US

In Tx, content inside a vehicle is covered under the full coverage, not liability, automobile insurance.  I did have a kit stolen about six years ago from a hotel and my home owners insurance covered it, but that was in OK.  Of course, you have to meet your deductible too.

Jun 12 06 03:09 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Tracey Masterson

Shelton, Connecticut, US

Mary, thanks for the LoJACK tip. That is such a cool idea.
I would love to install one on my son, Holden.

Jun 12 06 03:16 pm Link

Makeup Artist

KatAragon

FAIRFAX STATION, Virginia, US

i actually just looked up the lojack for computers. Apparently it is a software you download onto your computer. Hmm. I could have read that wrong, but if that is the case then there is no hope for our makeup kits sad

Kathy

Jun 13 06 12:40 am Link

Makeup Artist

Studio 7

New York, New York, US

There is a watch for children on the market that allows parents to track them using a GPS device embedded into the watch. The watch can be attached to the kit. It does not obviously look like a tracking device--just a kid's silly watch. And it's reasonably priced--for a kid or a kit.

Studio 7

Jun 13 06 09:24 pm Link