Forums > General Industry > Credits on Photos...

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

If you do a shoot with someone whether you are the model, the photographer or the makeup artist and you are not credited, what would you think or do?

Just wondering????

Jun 11 06 10:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I send the model a silly email like "show me some love and credit my pic".

Jun 11 06 10:37 pm Link

Photographer

gwphoto

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

I do nothing, as the photographer I mark most images, but this really is irrelevant, I do not say or instruct anyone on how they should run their profile or portfolios etc & I expect others not to instruct me either.

Jun 11 06 11:49 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Is it fair to say that if the person does not credit you, then they did not really like your work?

Jun 12 06 08:18 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I have noticed that a lot of photographers don't credit the model or mua, they just put the names in the title. They might just not know your mm#?

Jun 12 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Rhonda McLendon wrote:
Is it fair to say that if the person does not credit you, then they did not really like your work?

No, it's not.  Some people give credits, some don't.  To some it's a big, earth-shattering deal to get credits.  To some it isn't.  The only thing you can conclude from the fact that credits are not given is that the person didn't give credits.

Jun 12 06 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Dave Blecman

Annapolis, Maryland, US

In my case, I just screwed up and forgot all about it. I am still kinda new to posting on here. Very few message forums actually let you credit a link to the model.

Jun 12 06 08:28 am Link

Makeup Artist

DiamondFaces

Garden City, Michigan, US

I always get it in writing that I will get the credit on the Photos.  I make sure to get a release form that includes me on it as well as the model and photographer so we all share the glory, so to say.

It's hard though, some people are just lazy and don't put all the information.  And, sometimes, they just forget.  Just send a friendly reminder saying, Credit please. smile

Jun 12 06 08:29 am Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

Rhonda McLendon wrote:

If they didn't like your work,  why would they use it?   ;-)

Here on MM the reason I sometimes do not do the credits is because the server is sooooooo slow and I have A.D.D. (well - it is not diagnosed but...  lol)

Jun 12 06 08:30 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

Since most of my images are done on a TFP basis, I always try to credit the model as an additional "Thank you" for being kind enough to work with me. I've thought about asking for a credit on the few who haven't reciprocated with a credit link, but I was afraid it might seem a bit whiny.

Jun 12 06 08:31 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
I have noticed that a lot of photographers don't credit the model or mua, they just put the names in the title. They might just not know your mm#?

This is true...

Jun 12 06 08:57 am Link

Makeup Artist

Rhonda M

Baltimore, Maryland, US

I was just asking because I forgot to credit a model and they were very nice and professional about it and just sent me a private message asking me to credit them. 

I just think it is kind of important to give credits because I know when I look at pics I always want to know who the photographer, model and MUA because I may want to work with them.

Jun 12 06 09:00 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

There are a lot of people not technically adept (re:my cd is blank, how do I upload photos - threads).  Even if they don't figure out the credit link, the models I shoot with always put me in as the photographer in the photo description. At least they are trying to do right...

Jun 12 06 09:06 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

From a strictly copyright point of view ONLY the creator is ENTITLED to a credit. If anyone else gets one it is a mere courtesy on somebody's part but there is no legal basis to insist on one and you can't force someone to give you a credit line.

OUTSIDE STRICTLY PORTFOLIO WORK...

It is custom and practice within some areas of print publishing not to give anyone credits. And, also, as we have seen, mentioned repeatedly, with "webzines" too.

Just as in those cases, as we have seen repeatedly, if a credit is insisted on they will tell you to f**k off. Even if a photographer's own credit is on the face of the photo they are known to crop it out which is itself not quite legal without a specific waver from the photographer.

Studio36

Jun 13 06 06:58 am Link