Forums > General Industry > To do or not to do... laser eye surgery

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Hey everyone,

Like many people, I am nearsighted.  I've worn my contacts for a long time now, but with a comment of a few that you can tell contact lens in a photo as they reflect light differently and you need to photoshop later, I am considering more about getting the lasik surgery done.

Has anyone here tried it?  How did it go?  Do you recommend it?

Jul 19 05 06:09 pm Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

One of the best investments I ever made. I think the Dr. I went to is in your area.  http://www.castereyecenter.com/

Jul 19 05 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Hi Sascha, Most people I know who have had the lasik surgery are pleased with the results. My sister has had it and she was more than pleased, she was thrilled! As with any surgery, there is risk ... but if you are careful to check out the doctor who performs it, you should be fine!  I say GO FOR IT!

Jul 19 05 06:37 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

best investments I ever made, I would refer you to my doctor but hes in jail for tax evasion, sorry. 

Jul 19 05 06:39 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Posted by Mary: 
best investments I ever made, I would refer you to my doctor but hes in jail for tax evasion, sorry.   

Holy****! LOL I'm sorry to hear that.  Gotta watch your taxes, everyone ; P

Jul 19 05 06:42 pm Link

Model

Sascha

Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan

Posted by Robert Cooper: 
One of the best investments I ever made. I think the Dr. I went to is in your area.  http://www.castereyecenter.com/

Thanks, I'll look into it!

Jul 19 05 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

YESSSS!!!  Do it!  I did it almost a year ago and it was the best thing I have ever done for my body!

Jul 19 05 07:36 pm Link

Photographer

John Van

Vienna, Wien, Austria

My wife did it a few years back and is very pleased with it. Apparently, it's a real eye-opener (pun intended)...

Good luck

Jul 19 05 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Ephotique

Prescott, Arizona, US

Hi Sascha,

Hope all is well with you.

I had it done 2 years ago.  They did a great job.  No complications, no pain.

Best regards,
John
Ephotique

PS. Kortney says "HI"!

Jul 19 05 09:09 pm Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

It used to be said that it produced haloes around lights at night. Wrong? Outdated?

Jul 19 05 09:13 pm Link

Photographer

Karlton Photo

Saint Charles, Illinois, US

Been considering it myself...
Pretty bad looking thru the viewfinder holding the
camera 3" away from your face...and the LCD is fairly
worthless to me..lol...
Altho..I would no longer be able to use the excuse of being  half blind when I end up with blurry images!...

really worth it huh?

Jul 19 05 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

DeSimoni

Corona, California, US

the only thing holding me back, is the idea of having to go back a few years later, (talk to those that had it done 10 years ago) and the costs associated with it. I have been near sighted with astigmatism since my child hood and have been wearing contacts for 20 years.
Last time I asked the optometrist, even among their colleagues there still is no unanimous decision.

Jul 19 05 10:39 pm Link

Photographer

not here anymore.

San Diego, California, US

If i had the money to do it, I would.

Jul 20 05 07:21 am Link

Photographer

Envy - Art

Kansas City, Missouri, US

Years ago they were doing RK surgery, not lasik.  The RK caused haloes.  The only remotely negative thing I could say about the lasik is that my night vision is not that good...but it wasn't good to begin with.  To go in blind and come out being able to "see" truly is worth so much.  I had no pain either...which is another bonus!  A lot of places finance you with no interest.  I'd definitely look into it if I were you.  Best of luck!  wink

Jul 20 05 07:53 am Link

Model

Zoe

Palm Beach, Florida, US

i had PRK (because my corneas were too thin for lasik) back in January 2002.  so far, so good, no halos, or night vision degradation that i've noticed.

i went from 20/600 to 20/15 in one eye and 20/20 in the other!!!   so, i'm an advocate.

it's "free" to get lifetime enhancements from the same center who did my surgery, but that assumes i continue regular eye exams each year (my choice of where, but must keep records).  so, i am pleased with my investment, money well spent.

do the research for yourself; lots of info out there.  i debated for about 8 months before deciding to go for it.  research your surgeon!  ask for references if you can. attend info sessions.  ask others who've done it.  be comfortable and totally sure.

Zoe

Jul 20 05 08:27 am Link

Photographer

C00P

Anaheim, California, US

Worked with someone a long time ago that had RK when it was the big thing. He suffered from halos.

I had lasik (with the blade incision) in '98. Prior to the operation I was myopic with astigmatism. Since then I've been 20/15 or 20/20,  depending on how tired my eyes are.

Jul 20 05 08:36 am Link

Photographer

Bruce Caines

New York, New York, US

i've been really interested in doing this myself. my various eyeglasses have been a trademark for me with friends, but i really don't need a trademark! glasses are now becoming a pain in the a$$. i've also noticed as i get older my ability to focus on different distances easily is getting tricky. (bifocals here i come...ugh)

i spoke with a friend who lasik done (noticed she stopped wearing glasses) and she raved about it. she did have to go back for an adjustment shortly after it was done which she was told upfront is not uncommon.

my concern is that any kind of surgery is risky, and i would hate to take a chance with my eyes--i don't have much else going for me! lol  it would be sad to see my two little girls having to lead me around everywhere. although, they would probably have me at toys r us buying stuff and telling me we were at the grocery store.

if insurance would cover it i might consider it more seriously, but they like to argue if my doctor prescribes antihistamines...

do your research carefully and make sure you find a good doctor with a good track record. get referals from patients. there may be good independent resources on the web to guide your choice.  good luck--and if you do it tell us how you feel!

Jul 20 05 08:52 am Link