Forums > General Industry > Don't some companies still want your business?

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Ok, I have a Canon printer and for the most part am happy with it.....except with seperation of darker colors.....my friend raves about the Epson 4800, and others have raved about the 1800 and 2400.....so I call Epson, I always want to be aware of the cutting edge.....I get some info about the different printers, just gathering research....

I ask them if they'd send me print samples if I shipped them a disc with one of my images on it. Seems like a simple request, as long as they know my color space, etc....Nope....can't do it. It must be one of THEIR images....like that will really help me compare. Am I from a different planet here or should that be a common request?

Jun 11 06 08:35 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jay Farrell wrote:
Am I from a different planet here or should that be a common request?

How much will it cost them in terms of time to fulfill your request?  Answer:  enough to make doing it for what appears to be a simple inquiry that, at best, would lead to a few hundred dollar sale, isn't economical.  That's why they have their own samples.

Jun 11 06 08:49 pm Link

Photographer

megafunk

Los Angeles, California, US

That printer is $1800 and up.

Jun 11 06 08:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

TXPhotog wrote:
How much will it cost them in terms of time to fulfill your request?  Answer:  enough to make doing it for what appears to be a simple inquiry that, at best, would lead to a few hundred dollar sale, isn't economical.  That's why they have their own samples.

I can understand that to a degree.....but the only way I will know for sure if the purchase / (upgrade?) is worth making is to compare results side by side.....if I opted for the 4800, that would be a 2k sale for them.....I have no way of knowing how their image would look printed on my printer.....

I guess being a one person operation, I'm used to doing whatever I need to do within reason to accomodate my clients.....

Jun 11 06 09:14 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

Jay Farrell wrote:

I can understand that to a degree.....but the only way I will know for sure if the purchase / (upgrade?) is worth making is to compare results side by side.....if I opted for the 4800, that would be a 2k sale for them.....I have no way of knowing how their image would look printed on my printer.....

I guess being a one person operation, I'm used to doing whatever I need to do within reason to accomodate my clients.....

why not ask them for a copy of their sample so you can print it on your printer?

Star

Jun 11 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Star wrote:
why not ask them for a copy of their sample so you can print it on your printer?

Star

I tried that when I talked to them.....they won't release the hi res file...bastards sad But maybe their website has a downloadable one.....I will investigate.....thanks for the idea!

Jun 12 06 12:38 am Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Jay, check with a retailer. I can pretty much guarantee they'll help you. Or talk with Epson at any trade show; I've done many sample prints at them from a CD. (Epson, HP, Canon, various papers, etc.)

Going to the manufacturer about this isn't really the best way; their margin really is fairly small (so is the retailer's, but they've got more of an immediate interest in the sale).

The business model for a multi-national is quite different than for a one-person operation. (Ponderous comes to mind...)

Jun 12 06 03:11 am Link