Forums > Newbie Forum > Payment for TFP and non-experienced models

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

I'm sure this has been covered before so if you have a link to a thread that will work but I would like to get a rough idea of:

1.What is fair to give an low or unexperienced models for prints for a 2 hour shoot. I would also be given her a CD.

2. Do unexperienced models really think someone will pay $100 an hour for a shoot as one model ask me for?

Jun 11 06 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

Mike Cummings

LAKE COMO, Florida, US

Photoman754 wrote:
I'm sure this has been covered before so if you have a link to a thread that will work but I would like to get a rough idea of:

1.What is fair to give an low or unexperienced models for prints for a 2 hour shoot. I would also be given her a CD.

2. Do unexperienced models really think someone will pay $100 an hour for a shoot as one model ask me for?

Answer to number 2, yes they really think that. If you hire them put away the sharp knifes and forks.

Jun 11 06 06:34 pm Link

Model

Suellen

Arlington, Georgia, US

In the photoshoots that ive participated in thus far, ive been given a CD as well as the offer for 1/2  off price for prints...usually a choice of 3-5 of 8x10s. I have little experience and take advantage of these opportunities to learn.

The only time ive been offered $100/+ was for lingerie (see thru) or posing nude; neither of which im comfortable doing. Otherwise, i would not expect to be paid that kind of money EVER as an unexperienced model.

Does this model have a portfolio that backs up her asking for that kind of money?

Best of luck!

Jun 11 06 06:41 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Suellen wrote:
In the photoshoots that ive participated in thus far, ive been given a CD as well as the offer for 1/2  off price for prints...usually a choice of 3-5 of 8x10s. I have little experience and take advantage of these opportunities to learn.

The only time ive been offered $100/+ was for lingerie (see thru) or posing nude; neither of which im comfortable doing. Otherwise, i would not expect to be paid that kind of money EVER as an unexperienced model.

Does this model have a portfolio that backs up her asking for that kind of money?

Best of luck!

She is late 20's and a good body but not a real pretty face. No offer for nudes or anything like that so I'm not sure what she thought I wanted.

How much does the photography you worked with charge for his 8x10's?

Jun 11 06 06:46 pm Link

Model

Rhiannon Rose

Photoman754 wrote:

I do think that is a bit much. But, maybe that is because of my own opinion on being an unexperienced model. Starting out, all I expect from the photographer, are pictures. Some people are ruthless I suppose.

Jun 11 06 06:52 pm Link

Model

Lynn Elizabeth

Palm Beach, Florida, US

I often wonder myself what makes a brand new model think $100 an hour is reasonable when they are unaware of the whole modeling experience. I've been modeling for quite some time now and I still don't ask for $100 an hour. I'm very comfortable in lingerie and with most nude work but even then I say $100 for two hours, which I believe is very reasonable.

I have noticed the unusual amount of models stating that they only do paid shoots and no TFP. Well we would all like paid shoots but sometimes you just have to work with what you have in front of you for the experience. I have worked with many photographers who didn't pay, we just had a TFP shoot. Most of the time that work is outstanding, other times it's understandable that the shoot was less than amazing. But alot of the time TFP is a way for photographer to get new faces into their ports and also get familiar with a new camera. That is why no one is being paid.

I've had some shoots that were TFP that were amazing and some that were not so great. But also the same with paid shoots, some were great and others I weren't pleased with.

Also, models that state they will never pay a photographer...
     Wow, if you really want a nice, clean portfolio maybe you should reconsider. I thought that I would never pay a photographer but then one day I was looking at my port thinking, wow I need something new. I spent the money and I was very pleased with the results. I didn't spend a fortune either, so don't think that's necessary. Photographers are willing to help you if you are in a bind with money. Just ask. The worst they could say is no.

Jun 11 06 06:54 pm Link

Photographer

PDXImaging

Lake Oswego, Oregon, US

Personally, for those shoots where the model is paid, I don't know any photographers locally that pays an hourly rate, it's usually an estimate of time and/or wardrobe changes for a set price.

Jun 11 06 07:04 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

rAVE pIXIE wrote:

I do think that is a bit much. But, maybe that is because of my own opinion on being an unexperienced model. Starting out, all I expect from the photographer, are pictures. Some people are ruthless I suppose.

How many photos would you think would be fair for the photographer to give you?

Jun 11 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

Rhiannon Rose

Photoman754 wrote:

How many photos would you think would be fair for the photographer to give you?

That would be something I would have to discuss with the photographer. I would find out what they believed was fair and work from there. Both sides have to discuss and compromise. Although, I think it would be fair to pay the photographer. They are out there working too. Why is it almost always the model that has to get paid...I wonder that.

Jun 11 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

Lynn Elizabeth wrote:
I often wonder myself what makes a brand new model think $100 an hour is reasonable when they are unaware of the whole modeling experience. I've been modeling for quite some time now and I still don't ask for $100 an hour. I'm very comfortable in lingerie and with most nude work but even then I say $100 for two hours, which I believe is very reasonable.

I have noticed the unusual amount of models stating that they only do paid shoots and no TFP. Well we would all like paid shoots but sometimes you just have to work with what you have in front of you for the experience. I have worked with many photographers who didn't pay, we just had a TFP shoot. Most of the time that work is outstanding, other times it's understandable that the shoot was less than amazing. But alot of the time TFP is a way for photographer to get new faces into their ports and also get familiar with a new camera. That is why no one is being paid.

I've had some shoots that were TFP that were amazing and some that were not so great. But also the same with paid shoots, some were great and others I weren't pleased with.

Also, models that state they will never pay a photographer...
     Wow, if you really want a nice, clean portfolio maybe you should reconsider. I thought that I would never pay a photographer but then one day I was looking at my port thinking, wow I need something new. I spent the money and I was very pleased with the results. I didn't spend a fortune either, so don't think that's necessary. Photographers are willing to help you if you are in a bind with money. Just ask. The worst they could say is no.

Thanks for the response.

Any other ideas?

Jun 11 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

Every shoot is a negotiation between model and photographer.

They are free to ask what they want, you are free to accept, negotiate or decline.

Ask the model what she wants in the way of prints, and go from there.

It matters not what someone else wants or gives, only what you two mutually decide.

Jun 11 06 07:51 pm Link

Model

Rhiannon Rose

Red Sky Photography wrote:
Every shoot is a negotiation between model and photographer.

They are free to ask what they want, you are free to accept, negotiate or decline.

Ask the model what she wants in the way of prints, and go from there.

It matters not what someone else wants or gives, only what you two mutually decide.

Exactly.

Jun 11 06 07:53 pm Link

Model

Diane ly

Manhattan, Illinois, US

Photoman754 wrote:

On the internet I hear anything is possible.  Let the mayhem begin!  lol wink

Jun 11 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Photoman754 wrote:

https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=46468

Jun 11 06 08:01 pm Link