Forums > General Industry > San Diego shoot location

Photographer

Glamour Haus

San Francisco, California, US

Help !!!!
I'm looking for a good outdoor spot for a model shoot tomorrow ( Monday). I am staying in the Mission Beach area and was looking for a pier area to shoot. I tried ocean beach and mission beach but the priers their were concrete. Looking more for wooden old rustic type setting. Any suggestions ????????? If not a beach setting what about an urban setting - old train yard, warehouse district ?

Jun 11 06 10:35 am Link

Makeup Artist

Camera Ready Studios

Dallas, Texas, US

Glamour Haus wrote:
Help !!!!
I'm looking for a good outdoor spot for a model shoot tomorrow ( Monday). I am staying in the Mission Beach area and was looking for a pier area to shoot. I tried ocean beach and mission beach but the priers their were concrete. Looking more for wooden old rustic type setting. Any suggestions ????????? If not a beach setting what about an urban setting - old train yard, warehouse district ?

we dont really have great piers in San Diego....Coronado has a nice pier but you cant shoot anywhere near it without a permit....  I have shot at in many times but the client had a permit each time.   

Most people shoot at Wind and Sea in La Jolla, lots of places to shoot without a bunch of people around.  Great rocks and cliffs.  For rustic Ramona is great, about an hour drive East.

added note.   You can shoot at the pier in Coronado for about 20 minutes usually before someone asks for a permit as long as you dont have a big crew and lots of equipment.

Jun 11 06 10:40 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Haus

Thanks for the responce. How far is wind and sea from the mission beach area ? Mission beach is near belmont park and sea world

Jun 11 06 10:44 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

Just checking. Since.. I don't have a clue where I am half the time when I'm shooting.. But do you mean THIS pier?

https://milque.smugmug.com/photos/54123667-L.jpg

Jun 11 06 10:54 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

San Diego, California, US

Did you go by Crystal Pier in Pacific Beach? Pretty sure it's wood. http://www.crystalpier.com/
It's at the end of Garnet, very close by. (Damn! Lived in San Diego all my life and I can't even tell   
you if the pier is concrete or wood. I must have been looking at the girls. hahah)

This fog you see will probably stick around all day. You'll need to go at least 10 miles inland for sun.

Great old train station, but only open on weekends:  http://www.sdrm.org/locate.html

Wind and Sea is in La Jolla, 20 minues up PCH. Parking can be tricky on weekends.     
Punch in to Google maps    "Gravilla St & Neptune Pl. La Jolla, CA 92037"

Should come up.

Jun 11 06 11:01 am Link

Photographer

Glamour Haus

Chip, I am 10 minutes walking from Crystal pier but the since the area underneath is heavily reinforced due to the hotel the lighting is bad. I may try it but I was looking for less reinforcement. Ocean Beach is concrete - crystal pier is wood.

Does anyone know here morton's photo was taken ? that looks good

How is wind n sea for shooting ? I saw on a travel lodge motel site that there is a palm tree hut. Is that really there or just soem good photoshop  work ?

Jun 11 06 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Pacific Beach pier is wood and it's great ... both on top and under. I've shot there many times.

OB is concrete. Scripps pier is concrete

Lots of beautiful places to shoot around PB, and Mission Bay slightly to the south.

Jun 11 06 03:56 pm Link

Photographer

M Photo

Pacifica, California, US

Glamour Haus wrote:
How is wind n sea for shooting ? I saw on a travel lodge motel site that there is a palm tree hut. Is that really there or just soem good photoshop  work ?

Yes there is a palm tree hut at Windnsea Beach @ the north end. Hopefully it won't be crowded with local kids out of school for the summer.

Jun 12 06 12:26 am Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

WG Rowland wrote:
Just checking. Since.. I don't have a clue where I am half the time when I'm shooting.. But do you mean THIS pier?

https://milque.smugmug.com/photos/54123667-L.jpg

Isn't that like the Huntington Beach pier??

Jun 15 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

It's a shot in my Coronado Sunset folder.. So I assume it's Coronado.. But I've lived here over 10 years now.. And if someone asked me to drive them to Coronado I wouldn't know how to get there.. 

So it quite easily could be Huntington..  Could be Fiji..  I don't pay attention..

Jun 15 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

ImpactFoto

Hehe!

Ah, OK....  I don't remember a pier on Coronado with that much 'stuff' on it...  so, that probably means I've never seen the thing!

It reminds me of one of the bigger piers in O.C., (I'm thinking Huntington Beach) that has a Ruby's restaurant out at the end of it...  which is why I guessed what I did.

Jun 15 06 01:58 am Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

I know we were in sight of Mexico.. There was a bird sanctuary just opposite the beach (I got a really crap shot of birds taking flight).. And then the beach..

Heavy rocks at one end (got what a bitch to walk).. Then soft sand closer to where the houses were..  Friend kept saying how he'd want to live there.. I shrugged him off..  You don't appreciate where you live, and it was so pretty I'd want to appreciate it every day I was there..

Then the sun set and we kind of lost our minds.. It was truly spectacular..

Unless Huntington is very near or south of Coronado this ain't it..

I'd like to find it again.. Wasn't too crowded.. And that pier is really kind of magnificent in the right light..  Never actually saw it topside.. We snapped off shots til the sun was down..

Jun 15 06 02:05 am Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

It's the Oceanside Pier.

Also, there's no pier in Coronado.

Jun 15 06 02:28 am Link

Photographer

M Photo

Pacifica, California, US

There is a pier south of Coronado in Imperial Beach... I recall there is a nature preserve near by...and Mexico is in plain sight.

Here's Imperial Beach's website and a pic of their pier at the top. Looks like the same pier.

http://www.cityofib.com/index.asp?Type= … 5B92C1D7D}

~Mike

Jun 15 06 11:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mortonovich

You be right! Nice work, Mike.

Jun 16 06 01:01 am Link

Photographer

REPhotography

The Pier in Imperial Beach is a good one.  Ive shot there a few times, but not lately...  Theres also a pretty good marina thats not very populated durring the day time in Chula Vista.

Jun 16 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

CLONE

Salisbury, Maryland, US

https://www.mvhs64.com/images/01-12-09---01-l-op.jpg Im from Imperial Beach Grow Up There . toke this with a 35mm thu away and it now on post cards lol

Jun 16 06 10:14 am Link