Forums > General Industry > Rules of Engagement.

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

San Francisco, California, US

Shooting private parties and personal situations,
Are some people clueless or am I just a super paranoid bitch?
I attended a private party and it was requested by some friends that I do some shooting. We set up a studio set in one special room so partygoers would not feel threatened and by no means have their picture taken with out permission. I shot the first set that had been requested, Tons of sun and silliness, I shot a 2nd set by two people who discovered the studio and fell in love with having a bit of fun in front of my camera. Then things went downhill, I was supposed to shoot one more person that had been prearranged and she showed up super late, her male friend brought his own camera into the party and started shooting in MY ROOM!!!!!!! I turned off my strobes so they wouldn’t flash. The moron had the audacity to start shooting in the main room of the party; this is why I set up a small room so no one would feel imposed upon!!!!!! He also put his equipment and cords right next to mine so I had to dig through oodles of black cords to make sure I didn’t take any of his and vise versa. I spoke to the girl and let her know that she had brought him and his actions were very very inappropriate. She was very sorry and said she had asked him to bring the camera I told her then he could shoot her for her project that she had wanted me to shoot and I had better things to do. (All this was before she had seen my work she had just been told by the host I was a good photographer) I said if she really wanted to shoot she could set up another time but asking one person to shoot and then inviting another photographer to bring his camera was incredibly insulting to me. Right before I went home I let her look at my portfolio she promised she would call me and reschedule.
So back to the question.

On a good note I sold another poster, & may possibly book a paid shoot with a client.

Jun 10 06 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

The very first item in the Terms and Conditions of my contract for events says

"1. Exclusive Photographer.  The Photographer shall be the exclusive photographer retained by the Client for the purpose of photographing the event.  If the Client willfully violates this condition, and unless a prior written agreement allowing multiple photographers is negotiated, the Photographer will immediately cease provision of all photographic services and payment in full will be due on the same terms as if the services were provided."

Jun 10 06 01:57 pm Link

Photographer

Rich Mohr

Chicago, Illinois, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
I attended a private party and it was requested by some friends that I do some shooting. We set up a studio set in one special room so partygoers would not feel threatened and by no means have their picture taken with out permission. I shot the first set that had been requested, Tons of sun and silliness, I shot a 2nd set by two people who discovered the studio and fell in love with having a bit of fun in front of my camera. Then things went downhill, I was supposed to shoot one more person that had been prearranged and she showed up super late, her male friend brought his own camera into the party and started shooting in MY ROOM!!!!!!! I turned off my strobes so they wouldn’t flash. The moron had the audacity to start shooting in the main room of the party; this is why I set up a small room so no one would feel imposed upon!!!!!! He also put his equipment and cords right next to mine so I had to dig through oodles of black cords to make sure I didn’t take any of his and vise versa. I spoke to the girl and let her know that she had brought him and his actions were very very inappropriate. She was very sorry and said she had asked him to bring the camera I told her then he could shoot her for her project that she had wanted me to shoot and I had better things to do. (All this was before she had seen my work she had just been told by the host I was a good photographer) I said if she really wanted to shoot she could set up another time but asking one person to shoot and then inviting another photographer to bring his camera was incredibly insulting to me. Right before I went home I let her look at my portfolio she promised she would call me and reschedule.
So back to the question.

On a good note I sold another poster, & may possibly book a paid shoot with a client.

I understand how you feel completely. A similar situation happened to me a few years back. No you are not super paranoid, she should have at least asked you if you'd mind. Some people are clueless...

Jun 10 06 02:05 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Tim Hammond wrote:
The very first item in the Terms and Conditions of my contract for events says

"1. Exclusive Photographer.  The Photographer shall be the exclusive photographer . . .

There's Internet advice, and then there's real life.  In real life there will always be someone else with a camera.

Whenever a photographer shoots outside of their own studio they must accept that things may happen that are beyond their control and yet it is still their job to bring back great pictures.  And if you take pictures of people instead of store window dummys most of your "photography" will be about dealing with people instead of f-stops.

There are two ways of dealing with people: bullying or friendliness.  I suppose each photographer must discover on their own which way works best for them.

Jun 10 06 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I can see where that might be a problem......if you had a contract....it's certainly a violation of the exclusivity clause, if you had one.......if there was no contract....weeelllll....like they say in Russia, "tough shitsky"......

I've been through the same experience but not at parties......at weddings....I do all the lighting setups....posing...sweating......and then "ole uncle Benny" would step in right behind me and shoot the same thing......when I first got into the business I tried to be polite and not make a scene.....but after I realized just how much money "ole uncle Benny" was costing me......that was the first thing I discussed with the prospective bride and her mother.......AND the clause was always in the contract.....NO OUTSIDE PHOTOGRAPHER ALLOWED.......and on two occasions I literally left the wedding because the brides mother got indignent when I remimded her that "ole uncle Benny" should cease and desist......

Jun 10 06 06:16 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
So back to the question.

Clueless does not even begin to describe this chica. I cannot believe she thought this would be appropriate behavior!! You were very polite in how you handled it so kudos. Hopefully she will use her head for something other than a hatrack when you do shoot her again lol.

Jun 10 06 06:21 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

Sounds very inappropriate on the part of the other photog to me.  Lacking professional courtesy It's a good indicator that he was just a GWC with lots of toys.  I would find it very intrusive if another photog inadvertently fired off your strobes. - Should have been a pretty blatant clue to him that he was imposing on your set.  Unless it was a pre-determined that you were to set up for a free-for-all event, then I would get mad as hell. I assume that you would have brought a different complement of equipment if you were told otherwise.

Jun 10 06 07:22 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Farrell

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Yea it was super clueless of her.....but she wouldn't know unless it's explained, being a layman (or laywoman lol)......but if he was a professional photographer, and had lights / equipment, then he should have known the rules of engagement, and cleared it with you first.....he should have known the deal, I couldn't even imagine doing that in the presence of another photographer without consulting with him / her......in fact when working an event, the first thing I do is meet the videographer / DJ, etc. and make sure we are all on the same page....so yes, I would have gone off on them in a blunt but not total both barrels fashion.....yes she was a dumbass, he was a bigger one because he knew better......that's like a waiter going out to eat somewhere else and leaving a bad tip for another waiter, even if he or she tried their best.....someone who has never done it wouldn't have the same understanding....

Jun 10 06 07:29 pm Link

Photographer

Tog

Birmingham, Alabama, US

What was this guy yelling to the living room?

Jun 10 06 07:31 pm Link

Photographer

BTHPhoto

Fairbanks, Alaska, US

phcorcoran wrote:
There's Internet advice, and then there's real life.  In real life there will always be someone else with a camera.

Whenever a photographer shoots outside of their own studio they must accept that things may happen that are beyond their control and yet it is still their job to bring back great pictures.  And if you take pictures of people instead of store window dummys most of your "photography" will be about dealing with people instead of f-stops.

There are two ways of dealing with people: bullying or friendliness.  I suppose each photographer must discover on their own which way works best for them.

If you think a contract saying the client won't put two paid photographers in competition for the same space and shots is bullying, you might as well just write "door mat" on your business card.

Yes, there will always be someone else with a camera, but that doesn't mean you have no control over the situation.  My contract also says friends and relatives may shoot as long as they don't interfere with me providing the services I'm paid to provide.  On more than one occasion, having both those clauses in my contracts has headed off potentially difficult situations.  No bullying necessary.  Just a clear statement of terms and conditions.

There's Internet advice, and then there's real life, and in the real world, good business involves contracts with clear terms and conditions to avoid misunderstandings and prevent people from being taken advantage of.  That's not bullying. It's just good business.

Jun 10 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

Let it go. Just have fun.

Jun 10 06 11:13 pm Link