Forums > General Industry > Good Idea bad idea?

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Is it a bad idea to tag too many photogs you're interested in working with? Is it tacky? Or just doing business?

Jun 10 06 11:04 am Link

Photographer

Vivus Hussein Denuo

New York, New York, US

Electra T wrote:
Is it a bad idea to tag too many photogs you're interested in working with? Is it tacky? Or just doing business?

It's a good idea, IMO.  At worst, it may get you a rep as a serial tagger, but so what?  Frankly, I tend to shoot with models who are aggressive about emailing me and suggesting shoots.  I.e., they wear me down, so to speak, so I cave, and shoot with them (not all and not always).  Seriously, many full-time professional models, especially internet models, have to be aggressive about reminding photogs about the models' availability.  It's marketing!   smile

Jun 10 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

San Francisco, California, US

Electra T wrote:

it's called doing business. why question something like this? i want answer. now!

Jun 10 06 11:14 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

closed mouths don't get fed. ya hungry?

Jun 10 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Dave Krueger

Huntsville, Alabama, US

Electra T wrote:

I'm sure there are people who will be able to come up with some kind of etiquette for this, but I certainly can't see anything wrong with it.  How else are they supposed to know about you if you don't get you name in front of them somehow?

Jun 10 06 11:17 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

it's called doing business. why question something like this? i want answer. now!

b/c I get quite a few requests for TFP but I don't think those photogs can help me so i just politely say no thanks. The photogs i do have interest in...well models seem to come to them not the other way around lol.

Jun 10 06 11:18 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Dave Krueger wrote:

I'm sure there are people who will be able to come up with some kind of etiquette for this, but I certainly can't see anything wrong with it.  How else are they supposed to know about you if you don't get you name in front of them somehow?

I try not to come off all aggressive like "Hey are you free next week" I just say I like your work and i'm interested in shooting with you...but thats what every model says...hmm

Jun 10 06 11:21 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Electra T wrote:

b/c I get quite a few requests for TFP but I don't think those photogs can help me so i just politely say no thanks. The photogs i do have interest in...well models seem to come to them not the other way around lol.

ok, but you sometimes have to step up to the plate to get served. i get alot of models on here that want to work with me., but i also have approached some that i know that i want to shoot because i see something that i want to put together. something like what you see in another photographer's work.

Jun 10 06 11:22 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

let you in on a little secret, don't tell anyone..when i looked at your port of the same ole pictures i was like, damn will she take that shirt off of her eyes! sheesh. but seriously, what i was actuaoly thinking is that i don't know what's going on with the same images but the girl has more potential on here than many who are modeling on this site but she just doesn't know it. and i just sit back and shake my head and say, shame, shame, shame, tsk tsk, tsk.

Jun 10 06 11:26 am Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
let you in on a little secret, don't tell anyone..when i looked at your port of the same ole pictures i was like, damn will she take that shirt off of her eyes! sheesh. but seriously, what i was actuaoly thinking is that i don't know what's going on with the same images but the girl has more potential on here than many who are modeling on this site but she just doesn't know it. and i just sit back and shake my head and say, shame, shame, shame, tsk tsk, tsk.

hmmmmmm, you know you're right. but I don't really no what to say. I'm a serious procrastinator...I get a lot of messages like that, from ppl on here.

I'm find that casting call forum is a bit of a waste...blah!

Edit- I don't really know what my chances are..but i'll seee

Jun 10 06 11:45 am Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Electra T wrote:

hmmmmmm, you know you're right. but I don't really no what to say. I'm a serious procrastinator...I get a lot of messages like that, from ppl on here.

I'm find that casting call forum is a bit of a waste...blah!

Edit- I don't really know what my chances are..but i'll seee

I tell you the best way to get what you are looking for. Look at some of the photographers work in your area, screen them out and go from there. Email them to let them know of your interest. I don't see it being an issue getting work because you have the height and the youth. you are just begining. If you were in my area, I'd have jumped on the opportunity along time ago. I already have any eye-dea on what I do on the shoot.

I very rarely make casting call announcements because I already know what
I want. Doing your casting call manually via email makes it easier to get replies vs getting your announcement lost in then tons of postings day to day.

Jun 10 06 12:25 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

I think it's a good idea, and also remember that not all of those photographers will respond back with an interest in shooting.  So even if half of them do respond with an interest, you have a lot of photo shoots to look forward to and prepare for.  smile

Jun 10 06 12:33 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Tikeya wrote:
I think it's a good idea, and also remember that all of those photographers might not respond back with an interest in shooting.  So even if half of them do respond with an interest, you have a lot of photo shoots to look forward to and prepare for.

you tell her Tikeya.

Jun 10 06 12:35 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

you tell her Tikeya.

she told me.

Jun 10 06 02:26 pm Link

Photographer

S

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

Are you active over at plusmodels.com?  There are some really good photographers who shoot plus models in your area who aren't active on MM, but can be found on PM.  It might be worth checking out.

Jun 10 06 03:48 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
Are you active over at plusmodels.com?  There are some really good photographers who shoot plus models in your area who aren't active on MM, but can be found on PM.  It might be worth checking out.

No, Because when I tried to set up my acount it said i couldn't use a free e-mail service..I've seen the list of photogs in the directory i just assumed they don't do tfp.

"Required to be able to receive an email to activate your membership. Free email services like Yahoo.com, Hotmail.com, Email.com, Netscape.com, and alike will not be allowed."

thats all i use hmm

I love that site though.

Jun 10 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

S

Electra T wrote:

NOOO! Because when I tried to set up my acount it said i couldn't use a free e-mail service

"Required to be able to receive an email to activate your membership. Free email services like Yahoo.com, Hotmail.com, Email.com, Netscape.com, and alike will not be allowed."

thats all i use hmm

Well that totally bites.  You don't have a school-based email or anything?  In the meantime, I'll go see if I can rustle up some info for you on plus friendly photographers in New York.

Jun 10 06 03:53 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:

Well that totally bites.  You don't have a school-based email or anything?  In the meantime, I'll go see if I can rustle up some info for you on plus friendly photographers in New York.

I only use Yahoo. Thanks a lot sita I appreciate it!

Jun 10 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

Electra T wrote:

thats cool and all, but sometimes you have to make a certain leap to a step in order for other people to notice that youre making the attempt to make any steps at all. generally when a photographer sees a model who may have potential, but notices that the model has made no effort to even take a small step and get that folio updated it turns them away. while most can understand that you wont just shoot with any old body, at the same time photographers wont be able to identify with that because all they see is results, and thats the same pics in the folio after a certain while.

and also photographers do know each other - they may not make it public but alot of photographers do keep up to date with each other on things. but yeah, gotta take that step sometimes in order to make the big step.

unless youre going to just re-put up your current pics about 3-4 months from now, with the new uploaded date as if theyre new, lol, not directed at you, its just alot of models are doing that on here, lol.

Jun 10 06 03:55 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Chuck Holliday wrote:

Electra T wrote:
unless youre going to just re-put up your current pics about 3-4 months from now, with the new uploaded date as if theyre new, lol, not directed at you, its just alot of models are doing that on here, lol.

Wow.

Jun 10 06 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

S

Okay, Electra, here are links to a handful of plus friendly photographers who are on PM that I don't believe are here.  Also keep in mind that more photographers are open to plus models than you might think, particularly given that you're young, tall, and proportional.  It's never a bad idea to write to photographers whose work you admire, even if they don't have any bigger models in their portfolio.  You might be surprised by how many will say yes.

Hope this helps - best of luck to you!

Les Delano is based in both LA & NY, and shoots a lot of gorgeous plus clothing campaigns.  She's a good woman to know and shoot with, in addition to being really approachable and helpful.
Krista Svalbonas is based in NY and does both straight and plus fashion.  She's really in love with plus models right now, not to mention really talented, so it's a good time to contact her.
Victoria Sprung is based in Chicago, but visits NY periodically and does some great plus beauty shot imagery.
Beth Hommel is also NY-based.

Jun 10 06 04:30 pm Link

Model

Michelle Renee

Los Angeles, California, US

You may also want to try Dlo, who is a plus model/photographer. Her MM# is 70939.

Jun 10 06 04:38 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:
Okay, Electra, here are links to a handful of plus friendly photographers who are on PM that I don't believe are here.  Also keep in mind that more photographers are open to plus models than you might think, particularly given that you're young, tall, and proportional.  It's never a bad idea to write to photographers whose work you admire, even if they don't have any bigger models in their portfolio.  You might be surprised by how many will say yes.

Les Delano is based in both LA & NY, and shoots a lot of gorgeous plus clothing campaigns.  She's a good woman to know and shoot with, in addition to being really approachable and helpful.
Krista Svalbonas is based in NY and does both straight and plus fashion.  She's really in love with plus models right now, not to mention really talented, so it's a good time to contact her.
Victoria Sprung is based in Chicago, but visits NY periodically and does some great plus beauty shot imagery.

Thanks so much! I sent you a PM.

Jun 10 06 04:38 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Sita Mae Edwards wrote:

I thnik that the plus model thing is cool, but I don't think that it is about that or even needs to be just about plus model. Electra just isn't really making the effort to do some work. Example, Sara Beth who too is a plus size model isn't working with photographers on here who are doing plus size models as a specialty. These photographers that she has worked with primarilly shoot slim model. It just boils down to what the photographer can bring or what the model is needed for. You just never know until she makes some moves.

This is really about electra not wanting to seem as if she's desperate. But she has to get rid of her pride. There are some models who think that photographers are going to step up to them because it is a honor or they think that in their world, I'm just that good. This isn't referring to electra, but just using examples that exist on here.

Jun 10 06 04:47 pm Link

Photographer

S

Legacys 7 wrote:
I thnik that the plus model thing is cool, but I don't think that it is about that or even needs to be just about plus model. Electra just isn't really making the effort to do some work. Example, Sara Beth who too is a plus size model isn't working with photographers on here who are doing plus size models as a specialty. These photographers that she has worked with primarilly shoot slim model. It just boils down to what the photographer can bring or what the model is needed for. You just never know until she makes some moves.

You're not saying anything different than I did.  I recommended some folks who aren't on MM in her area who are actively looking for plus models, and also suggested that she initiate a conversation with people whose work she likes, regardless of the size of the models they use.  Because you never know.  Your post is worded as though you disagree with me, but we're saying the same thing.  I'm confused.

Jun 10 06 04:49 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Legacys 7 wrote:

This is really about electra not wanting to seem as if she's desperate. But she has to get rid of her pride. There are some models who think that photographers are going to step up to them because it is a honor or they think that in their world, I'm just that good. This isn't referring to electra, but just using examples that exist on here.

I admire Sara Beth's work a great deal but the difference between me and Sara Beth is that she has the moolah to spend preparing an amazing book....I don't or rather I can't. This being said I honestly feel like I do what I can, I do the searches on MM and I tag and PM showing my interest...I don't get reponses from photographers I really want to work with or people who can help me with my book. I haven't been taking the book thing that seriously b/c I've been told repeatedly that I don't need one...I just want experience.

About this pride business, am I desperate for photographers? No. Desperate for really good excellente photographers who could really give me a super-duper boost? Yeah. Somebody told me that Photogs judge whether they wish to work with you by your port....but then that means i'm not gonna get anywhere......

Jun 10 06 04:58 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Yeah you definately should. If you wait around for people you like to contact you, you might work forever. There are too many people out there for you to hold back!

Jun 10 06 05:02 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Electra T wrote:

I admire Sara Beth's work a great deal but the difference between me and Sara Beth is that she has the moolah to spend preparing an amazing book....I don't or rather I can't. This being said I honestly feel like I do what I can, I do the searches on MM and I tag and PM showing my interest...I don't get reponses from photographers I really want to work with or people who can help me with my book. I haven't been taking the book thing that seriously b/c I've been told repeatedly that I don't need one...I just want experience.

About this pride business, am I desperate for photographers? No. Desperate for really good excellente photographers who could really give me a super-duper boost? Yeah. Somebody told me that Photogs judge whether they wish to work with you by your port....but then that means i'm not gonna get anywhere......

Wrong and wrong. I personally know Sara Beth. Trust me, she doesn't have that type of money like that. Not that I'm putting her business out there, but I'm just using this as an example that her and I discussed a few months back. Alot of her work is tfc. People who see her work have jumped on her to work with. The same goes for Nikki. Nikki pretty much works with Sara. she's another model.

The other no is you're misunderstanding my point about pride. I am referring to tagging good photographers, as you have addressed 'tacky'. But then again, mayhaps it is I that misunderstand.

Just sell yourself. That's why we are all on here. Even the veterans are on here for the samething. Both paid and unpaid. Too bad Image E is on a punishment, isn't he in your neck of the woods?

Jun 10 06 05:13 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Legacys 7 wrote:
The other no is you're misunderstanding my point about pride. I am referring to tagging good photographers, as you have addressed 'tacky'. But then again, mayhaps it is I that misunderstand.

Just sell yourself. That's why we are all on here. Even the veterans are on here for the samething. Both paid and unpaid. Too bad Image E is on a punishment, isn't he in your neck of the woods?

With all this talk on the boards about Comment whoring and "I tag you, you tag me" thats why I asked the question, so I think you did misundertand me. Elahi? He lives in Georgia I think...

Jun 10 06 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Blackmon

Oakland, California, US

Electra T wrote:

I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

Jun 10 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Electra T wrote:

With all this talk on the boards about Comment whoring and "I tag you, you tag me" thats why I asked the question, so I think you did misundertand me. Elahi? He lives in Georgia I think...

I see. Forget that whore and tag me stuff. Me personally, I can careless about that stuff. Alot of that is insecure people who have more time on their hands and are allowing others to control their minds on what is good and what is bad. One who is persistent will be get what he or she wants and doesn't care what others think. And if they are thiniking about you often, then more than likely they envy you.

I thought Elahi lived in NYC. Oh well.

Jun 10 06 06:16 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Also when you tag someone it doesnt have to be "please work with me". You could also say for example, "I really like your work/style" and see what they say from there.

Jun 10 06 07:21 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

thanks yall

Jun 11 06 07:00 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I hate when I see the same cut and paste message to everyone though, if you're gonna do that at least PM it so they don't all know you're sending them the same message! lol
I take PMs more seriously than tags. A tag I may not see for a few days, or it may disapear quickly.

Jun 11 06 07:41 pm Link

Photographer

Legacys 7

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
I hate when I see the same cut and paste message to everyone though, if you're gonna do that at least PM it so they don't all know you're sending them the same message! lol
I take PMs more seriously than tags. A tag I may not see for a few days, or it may disapear quickly.

i agree. that's the way that I do things. Say Aurora let's work together! opps!

Jun 11 06 07:45 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Electra T wrote:
Elahi? He lives in Georgia I think...

I believe Elahi is originally from NY but is located in Georgia now.  I'll check what it says on his profile, but I believe that's the case.

Jun 11 06 08:37 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

That's weird.  I just got a PM from him, yet when I clicked on his name to go to his profile, it said that he's not a current member.  ???

Jun 11 06 08:42 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

if u had open pms from a person b4 your exile then u can still send messages to that person

Jun 12 06 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Soren McCarty

Boulder, Colorado, US

Each Photographer can bring a different look or style to your portfolio so the more the better.

Jun 12 06 02:10 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

It's nice to know people appreciate your work.  Go ahead and tag but as stated above, at least take the time and be original.  Don't cut and paste the same comment everywhere.  Say what you like about the persons port. 
Definitely say more than "nice port, would love to work with you".

Jun 12 06 02:14 pm Link