Forums > General Industry > Credit Due....No luv for Photogs???

Photographer

jerrell edwards

Richmond, Virginia, US

Okay not to BMW (bitch, moan, and whine) but Im a lil curious
So far Ive shot a LOT of models
And its no secret I maintain a lot of control during my shoots and over 99% of the time I pose my models (right down to fingers and toes..some ppl bend better than others lol).
Also as a photog I pic out locations, outfits, theme, etc.
Not sure if other photogs do this (or if their models have more control) but since Im also a film maker I often take director's chair and I know exactly what I want and adjust my models to fit it as closes as they are able to do.
That being said Ive noticed people will go to the pages of models Ive shot with and say "Great Shot" "Good location and lighting" Etc (great pose i guess i can deal with since its no way for the average person to know i pose my models)
So What Im wondering is why tell the model "great job" on things the photog had control over
Most Comment on the models page and tho Im linked to the photo (thanx for giving credit girls a LOT of models dont) they rarely visit or comment on my page (a simple tag of "I love the lighten and composition of *model's name* photo" would do)
Lol not that I crave praise (tho my Deviant portfolio averages a few hundred comments a week *wink*) but I figure If you praise one praise the other as well.
Do any other photogs have this happen to them?
How do the models feel about it?
Aannnd if ur one of those praise only one party people, why?
Again this isnt about horn tooting (i know the forums can get hiss hiss scratch scratch) but curiousity
Thanx and Lot
J

Jun 10 06 03:20 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I have this happen.  I do every single thing for my shoots too.  i don't care much for comments, they're sweet but eh, if they leave one i'll just say thank you and move on. comments just don't mean that much to me. lol praise... i've been praised for everything and it's like a normal occurance and i don't really think too much about it.

Jun 10 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

Jaime Ibarra

Austin, Texas, US

I am no stranger to this happening, but I really don't feel left out of the loop or anything. Whether I see the comment in mine OR the model's portfolio, I get just as much satisfaction out of it Either way, the comment is still directed at the photo that I took smile

Jun 10 06 04:03 am Link

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

I don't really care who gets the credit......unless it's a paid shoot.....then all I want is the money and tag line.....but that's me....after turning 50 my ego diminished year by year....

Jun 10 06 04:45 am Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

It happens to me, too. It's frustrating, but I've learned to live with it. I do take pride in comments given to my shots on models' ports as well. At least they aren't saying "why did you shoot with this clown?"! smile

I did see a comment on one of my shots about how they liked the mood of the shot. The model replied that she had to give credit to the photographer's lighting for creating the mood! Made my week....

Jun 10 06 07:03 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I'm very pleased when a model gets nice comments on a shot I did of her.  That, it seems to me, is what it's about.

Jun 10 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Though I appreciate the model giving me credit it is more important to me to create something worthy. I guess that is why some of us use a name for our work that is not our given name and others use their birth names.

Jun 10 06 07:58 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Part of a model's job is to work with the best photographers, so when she is given a sliver a credit in the composition, she or he deserves it.

I dunno.  Maybe.  I'm testing it out as a theory.

Jun 10 06 08:04 am Link

Photographer

jac3950

Freedom, New Hampshire, US

I can't speak for everyone, but the times I have done that on a posting by a model, it has been a message to the photographer as much as to the model. I don't say, "you did a great of posing". Rather, I say, "great pose," whoever is responsible for it. The models who have posed for me don't always post the same images I post, but I do check out the comments on their postings as well.

It might be nice to have someone shoot me a quick message that says, "I saw the shot you took of ________, and the lighting, posing, etc. is great," but I suspect that isn't going to happen.

Jun 10 06 08:05 am Link

Photographer

Marvin Dockery

Alcoa, Tennessee, US

I have images on MM, OMP, and two other places for one purpose, and that is to have a place for models to see my work, and to message me if they are interested in working with me.

Most of my models are locals that I find in markets and malls. My "Models Needed" business card has my MM and OMP member numbers on it, and they can look at my images before they have to decide.

I change the images often, so comments get lost.

Jun 10 06 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Done and Gone

Chiredzi, Masvingo, Zimbabwe

jerrell edwards wrote:
Okay not to BMW (bitch, moan, and whine) but Im a lil curious
So far Ive shot a LOT of models
And its no secret I maintain a lot of control during my shoots and over 99% of the time I pose my models (right down to fingers and toes..some ppl bend better than others lol).
Also as a photog I pic out locations, outfits, theme, etc.
Not sure if other photogs do this (or if their models have more control) but since Im also a film maker I often take director's chair and I know exactly what I want and adjust my models to fit it as closes as they are able to do.
That being said Ive noticed people will go to the pages of models Ive shot with and say "Great Shot" "Good location and lighting" Etc (great pose i guess i can deal with since its no way for the average person to know i pose my models)
So What Im wondering is why tell the model "great job" on things the photog had control over
Most Comment on the models page and tho Im linked to the photo (thanx for giving credit girls a LOT of models dont) they rarely visit or comment on my page (a simple tag of "I love the lighten and composition of *model's name* photo" would do)
Lol not that I crave praise (tho my Deviant portfolio averages a few hundred comments a week *wink*) but I figure If you praise one praise the other as well.
Do any other photogs have this happen to them?
How do the models feel about it?
Aannnd if ur one of those praise only one party people, why?
Again this isnt about horn tooting (i know the forums can get hiss hiss scratch scratch) but curiousity
Thanx and Lot
J

Here is the deal (and I am going to make generalizations here, your results may vary). Most comments are generated from two needs or inclinations.

One - The Photographer who is trying to ingratiate themselves with a model in hopes of working with her. Since they don't want to take your picture, they don't leave a comment. They may cruise your site to look for model links tho.

Two - Models will leave comments on the page of a model they admire, hoping to be noticed. Since most models seem to wait for the photographer to initiate the cycle, they don't leave comments on your page either.

There are of course as many different reasons for all this as there are individuals but this is the preponderance of activity on MM in my observation.

Jun 10 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

RStephenT

Vacaville, California, US

I am always happy to see a lady (model) receive recognition for the work we have done together.  The fact that she receives a comment on a picture we have created together and I have not does not diminish the role I have played in the process.  Personally I am grateful for the opportunity to make a living from photography as well as it (photography) being my avocation.

Jun 10 06 10:26 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

I feel that if someone says "great shot", it's half my credit anyway, whether or not it's directed at me. I'm happy just to see that someone likes it, and it doesn't bother me that the model receives the praise.

Jun 11 06 12:46 am Link

Photographer

Archived

Phoenix, Arizona, US

It's because people use this site to find MODELS, not so much to find PHOTOGRAPHERS. So they're looking at the photo that you took, but they only see it because the model posted it, and they're looking for a girl between 18 and 25 within 25 miles of their zip code.

Jun 11 06 03:54 am Link

Photographer

DFournier-Photography

Columbia, Maryland, US

I love seeing comments on photographs I've taken in model's portfolios.  To me that counts the same as if it were done on my own portfolio. 

There aren't as many photographers visiting my portfolio because they don't need my services.  That said I do get/give a fair share of photographer comments.  I enjoy looking at other photographer's work and letting them know if I'm particularly impressed with something they've done.

Jun 11 06 08:19 am Link