Forums > General Industry > Comment whoring? I don't get it.

Model

Aurora Natrix

Miami, Florida, US

I didn't see if this had been posted yet, but I was interested to get some feedback/comments (ha!) on what you all think.

I really don't understand this comment whoring business that goes on here. I can see when it comes to getting another perspective on your photos, and some people do leave constructive comments/critiques. I am all in favour of that. Where I get lost is when people are just trying to collect comments and they receive/give ones like "i love this", "that's so hot"..."pretty"...."nice." It just seems like a popularity contest. Am I missing the big picture?

Jun 08 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Christofer Rodriguez

San Bernardino, California, US

No...I think that about sums it all up - now leave me a comment please...hehe!

Jun 08 06 03:10 pm Link

Model

BQueenGirl

Belleville, Michigan, US

hey, where is that dude with the search fxn picture.

Jun 08 06 03:16 pm Link

Photographer

Sleepy Weasel

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

What is funny to me--in an unsurprising way--is how the same photo in my portfolio hardly gets any views or no comments, but that same photo on the model's portfolio gets several comments and many, many more views.

While comments are nice, the ones that mean the most to me are when I can tell the person leaving the comment had a sincere opinion about the photo and appreciates the work I did on it. Otherwise, my goal is to put up the best work I feel I've done in hopes others like it enough to want to work with me. I guess it's a never-ending cycle.

Jun 08 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

AurorA NatriX wrote:
Comment whoring? I don't get it

careful! don't get it! apparently there might not be a cure ...

FML

Jun 08 06 03:32 pm Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

I personally have been known to give comments like "I love this" but not because of any comment whoring means. If something stands out I tend to not be able to describe what exactly it is that's going right because if I comment on a picture, that means I think everything in that picture is right. That and I'm not very creative when it comes to leaving comments but I like giving them.

Jun 09 06 08:30 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

AurorA NatriX wrote:
I didn't see if this had been posted yet, but I was interested to get some feedback/comments (ha!) on what you all think.

I really don't understand this comment whoring business that goes on here. I can see when it comes to getting another perspective on your photos, and some people do leave constructive comments/critiques. I am all in favour of that. Where I get lost is when people are just trying to collect comments and they receive/give ones like "i love this", "that's so hot"..."pretty"...."nice." It just seems like a popularity contest. Am I missing the big picture?

Yes - but there is a reason for some of them.

It's actually a good marketing strategy. When those models direct a potential business interest to MM and they see all those comments, that presents a great look for them. Remember that agency/company knows nothing about this site. all they know is people are responding and that, thus, makes that model more "desirable" - psychologically anyway.

It's not really whoring because they don't really give up anything of themselves.

Jun 09 06 08:36 pm Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

its very silly to me, basically people begging for a confidence booster.

Jun 09 06 08:36 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

We are all here to get our work noticed.  I'd bet most of us want to get noticed so we can get more work.  A post on the announcement page has a 5 minute visibility, or less, before it gets bumped off by newer announcements.  So, if someone wants their work noticed, they have to make repeated posts to the announcements section to maximize exposure.

Even a request for critique in the forum will get pushed off pretty fast if it isn't bumped periodically.

I'd rather see a request for comments or tags than someone describe what's for dinner or announce they are taking a bath/going to bed.

Oh yeah, the other way to keep your port in the public eye is respond to a lot of threads in the forums........

Jun 09 06 09:21 pm Link

Photographer

Golden Light

Miami, Florida, US

The great comment compition. " Look at how many comments I got on my port."
But it is about the work. If you are hooking up with work then what is the big deal about comments. On the other hand if MM is what you do, then your life revolves arround your praise and comments.
  To me MM is about work. And it is not the pic or the pose it about the person.

This is the same reply that i gave to the other thred.

Jun 09 06 09:26 pm Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

AurorA NatriX wrote:
I really don't understand this comment whoring business that goes on here.

You're obviously not alone.  Comments are the lingua franca of MM.  They are a system of exchange through which people introduce themselves to another. 

Some of those introductions will result in deeper connections.  Most won't.  Of course out of 10 "comments" if even one results in a connection, the other 9 failures are easily forgotten.

Think of comments as business cards with URL's on them, and the words as a kind of "nice to meet you."

There is a whole forum available for critiques.  Those who want them can go to the forum and ask.  Responses can be public or private.

This "comment" confusion -- and apparent anger -- looks to me like people who don't know how to network.  Just think of them as biz cards (for those who know what business cards are) and lighten up.

Jun 09 06 09:31 pm Link

Photographer

Michal

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
What is funny to me--in an unsurprising way--is how the same photo in my portfolio hardly gets any views or no comments, but that same photo on the model's portfolio gets several comments and many, many more views.

While comments are nice, the ones that mean the most to me are when I can tell the person leaving the comment had a sincere opinion about the photo and appreciates the work I did on it. Otherwise, my goal is to put up the best work I feel I've done in hopes others like it enough to want to work with me. I guess it's a never-ending cycle.

I have found that the number of views/comments directly correlates with how much I interact with the other members, especially posting comments on the main page. Very possibly, the model is more involved with the website.
   Also, I'd be a shallow comment-writer except that I usually write something along the lines of "I love it!" and another sentence to say why.  Not very technical necessarily, but always constructive.  If I don't like something, I don't leave a comment.
    Still (relating to the whole idea of this post) a well thought out comment with specifics only makes me slightly happier than someone telling me they like my work period.   :-)

Jun 09 06 09:33 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Golden Light wrote:
The great comment compition. " Look at how many comments I got on my port."
But it is about the work. If you are hooking up with work then what is the big deal about comments. On the other hand if MM is what you do, then your life revolves arround your praise and comments.
  To me MM is about work. And it is not the pic or the pose it about the person.

This is the same reply that i gave to the other thred.

I think, in a lot of instances, a request for comments is just the excuse or opening line to make a post and get your profile & port out in front of the MM public in order to find work.  There really is no other way to publicize yourself on MM beyond posting.  The importance of receiving a comment is a lower priority than advertising yourself or your work-at least that's true in my case.  The comment thing is just a path, not the destination.  If we all sat around and waited for someone to find our profile on a browse search, some of us would die of old age first. :-)

addenum:  I also think for every person craving comments, there are five more who get their jollies giving them.  I've noticed a lot of comments left on model's photos that would not pass in polite company.

Jun 09 06 09:35 pm Link

Photographer

Star

Los Angeles, California, US

I'm sorry, I cannot reply to this thread until you comment on my photos,

Star

Jun 09 06 11:43 pm Link

Model

Model Sarah

Columbus, Ohio, US

Unless a photo is amazing you wont see my nude ass....

er....

Jun 10 06 12:45 am Link

Model

Natalie G

Kansas City, Kansas, US

Sometimes I see comments "will trade comments" you comment on mine, and I comment on yours. I do not even want to see the portfolio after that, sounds like everything is fake!!!

Sincerely, Natalie G.

Jun 10 06 01:17 am Link

Photographer

William Kious

Delphos, Ohio, US

Sleepy Weasel wrote:

No one pays attention because your boobs aren't big enough.

Jun 10 06 01:29 am Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

Natalie G wrote:
Sometimes I see comments "will trade comments" you comment on mine, and I comment on yours. I do not even want to see the portfolio after that, sounds like everything is fake!!!

Sincerely, Natalie G.

I agree; comments should not be "forced". If I see an avatar that intrigues me I will check out the portfolio; and if a pose there makes an impression then I comment. Like seeing your avatar! I left you a few comments!

Comments are nice to receive but if *I* think a pose is good it will stay on my portfolio whether I get comments or not!

Jun 10 06 01:39 am Link

Photographer

Bob Hubbard

Buffalo, New York, US

I go through here in short waves, and when I can, I'll pop over ans look at folks ports.  I've tried leaving a brief note on the 1 or occasionally 2 that catch my eye quickly. Sometimes I can pinpoint what caught my attention, other times, all I really can say is "Nice".  Gimme 6 months, a year, or a lil bit more...I'll be more descriptive. smile

Jun 10 06 02:14 am Link

Photographer

T H Taylor

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

AurorA NatriX wrote:

Isn't life a popularity contest where people contantly need validation by their peers every day???  Wouldn't that make us all "comment whores" in a sense?

Jun 10 06 06:56 am Link

Model

Foxi Jean

Miami, Florida, US

i agree. its definately stupid to leave lame comments or ask for them. i think genuine comments are much better because its a persons honest opinion. Infact i wish people were more critical sometimes or gave tips so i could do better!  sometimes ill ask people for feedback, but not for comments to boost my self esteem! lol

-Lindsay

Jun 10 06 07:03 am Link

Photographer

PhotoPower

Elmsdale, Nova Scotia, Canada

Yup:

You're missing the big picture. It's about getting your pics out there...for both model and photog...take care...W

Jun 10 06 07:09 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

I have a fragile ego.

Jun 10 06 08:01 am Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

"Oh baby you look so hot"  (in that camera phone pic)

"great portfolio"  (with one arm because the other is holding the camera)

You folks are missing the great value in comments (so am I)

Jun 10 06 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

00siris wrote:
Yes - but there is a reason for some of them.

It's actually a good marketing strategy. When those models direct a potential business interest to MM and they see all those comments, that presents a great look for them. Remember that agency/company knows nothing about this site. all they know is people are responding and that, thus, makes that model more "desirable" - psychologically anyway.

It's not really whoring because they don't really give up anything of themselves.

YES, I'm a "comment whore" and I agree with 00siris on the point made here. It's just good business. I promote yours; you promote mine, plain and simple. I don't need the ego boost, I know I'm talented and have known it all my life. It's a gift and I'm grateful for it. So don't be upset or defensive if people aren't commenting on your work. They probably just don't know it's there. Become more visible. Don't say you don't want recognition and don't judge those who become visible to get it. It's not only good for business, but a good ego boost can lift one's self esteem and in turn lift them to higher plains. Everyone wants to be validated. It's our nature to want and sometimes need that (ask any psychiatrist). So lighten up, get out and network and you'll see there's no harm in it and it's a great way to make new friends, sometimes lifelong.

Jun 10 06 08:41 am Link

Photographer

MMDesign

Louisville, Kentucky, US

I believe that "whoring" has been around much longer than either photography or modeling so there's really no excuse for usurping the term.

As far as comments, and forums for that matter, I love to leave/write them. I'm a frustrated writer and this is the only place I can practice my "craft". Granted, most times I should practice with a few less Heinekens but at least I'm practicing.

I can't really imagine though why the thought of someone wanting a comment would irritate you. Our society is currently suffering a major case of the look-at-me syndrome. What else would explain the explosion of reality TV, MySpace, etc.? Just let it go. What harm does it do. Live and let live (damn, I've run out of cliché's).

selah|mm

Jun 10 06 09:01 am Link

Model

Aleta Pardalis

Oceanside, New York, US

As others have said, it's a networking tool. The more the you get your image out there the better your chances of someone taking notice that you'd like to work with. If no one knows you're here that's not going to happen.

Jun 10 06 09:58 am Link

Model

not here anymore #523

Colorado Springs, Colorado, US

I love to look at other models work! It excites me to know there is so much talent out there. I love to look at their dress, makeup, and hair! And come on, some folks are smokin! If you can take a hot photo I would appreciate someone bringing that to my attention!

Jun 13 06 01:25 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Lindsay Jean wrote:
i agree. its definately stupid to leave lame comments or ask for them. i think genuine comments are much better because its a persons honest opinion. Infact i wish people were more critical sometimes or gave tips so i could do better!  sometimes ill ask people for feedback, but not for comments to boost my self esteem! lol

-Lindsay

I agree.  I only comment on photos I like.  I like your portfolio.

Jun 13 06 05:26 am Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

I like nice comments. They make me fell all glow-y. Does that make me a whore? *lol*

I only leave sincere ones, though, and I generally just re-visit my "circle" of photogs/models anymore.

I've also noticed that about my models getting more comments on the same pics than I do...so sure, sometimes it's just plain flattery. ;c)

Jun 13 06 05:44 am Link

Photographer

Moonsbreath

Brownwood, Texas, US

Uh, that's "feel"...not "fell. ;c)

Jun 13 06 05:44 am Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

Unfortunately,

"comments" on MM portfolio images have become what "showcases" are to OMP. The more, the better in their eyes. I coined the term "COMMENTSTITUTION" for those folks. I heard one model was on a quest to get "100" comments on her portfolio image, JUST to see if she could.....amazin'!!

If you gotta whore yourself just to get people to comment on your images, then something is terribly wrong with our value sytem.

Strat

Jun 13 06 05:46 am Link

Photographer

BCI Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

people just want to be liked, and considered popular. So they'll leave a gazzilion comments on peoples pics with the hope of them returning the favor. Thus equaling popularity with how many pic comments they get.

High school stuff at best.

Jun 13 06 07:36 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I really hate when people say "Please comment on photo#1"........Geez dont tell me what to comment on! I comment on pictures that blow me away, not the ones you tell me to. When people do that I purposely comment on something else lol.

Jun 13 06 07:38 am Link

Photographer

jason ssg

Rockford, Illinois, US

AurorA NatriX wrote:

There is definately a popularity contest involved, but...

Len Cook Photographer wrote:
Comments are the lingua franca of MM.  They are a system of exchange through which people introduce themselves to another. 

Some of those introductions will result in deeper connections.  Most won't.  Of course out of 10 "comments" if even one results in a connection, the other 9 failures are easily forgotten.

Think of comments as business cards with URL's on them, and the words as a kind of "nice to meet you."

There is a whole forum available for critiques.  Those who want them can go to the forum and ask.  Responses can be public or private.

Being new here, and doing work very different than a majority of what I've seen here- I definately would vastly prefer some real feedback as opposed to the "that's so hot"..."pretty"...."nice." kind, but like Len Cook is saying- it's networking - it's tossing out business cards- sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but at least someone knows you exist and may have something constructive to say sometime.

...and the next time I'm on here, I definately need to check out that "critique forum" Mr. Cook mentioned... heh!

Jun 13 06 07:50 am Link

Photographer

PTBphotography

Wilmington, North Carolina, US

Star wrote:
I'm sorry, I cannot reply to this thread until you comment on my photos,

Star

NICE !!!...ha..ha...And leave a tag before friend requesting if you dont already know them right...???...he..he..

Everyone just do your thing ,and who gives a bleep about how many comments your pic's get.....Though all comments/tags are appreciated.....Some of the most sincere compliments I have recieved on MM have been in the form of an e-mail.

cheers....!

Me.

Jun 13 06 05:11 pm Link

Photographer

Garald Todd

Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Len Cook Photographer wrote:

You're obviously not alone.  Comments are the lingua franca of MM.  They are a system of exchange through which people introduce themselves to another. 

This "comment" confusion -- and apparent anger -- looks to me like people who don't know how to network.  Just think of them as biz cards (for those who know what business cards are) and lighten up.

Great post. When I first arrived, I took the comment frenzy as just another form of e-peen but when I really started thinking about why so much of it seems to.. obligatory, I realized it's a nice way to introduce your port to someone you either admire in some way, or would like to work with.

As you say, it's a function of networking. The environment is here at MM fosters that sort of networking and from what I can tell, it works out rather well for most people.

I have my own rules for when to post a comment vs. a tag, etc. Comments I *TRY* limit to images I really find outstanding, and then in the comment I'll explain why I think it's outstanding. Tags are for people I admire their general body of work or look, and or, that I'd like to work with at some point.

The negative stuff is all in your head smile.

-G

Jun 13 06 05:37 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

AurorA NatriX wrote:

Reading down through this thread makes me sit back and wonder; if you don't care whether people see your work or not, and you don't care for comments, or about what people think of your work, what in the world are you doing in a networking site like Model Mayhem? If people aren't commenting on your port don't get all defensive and start calling names, get out there and invite people to come visit. It's like we're all back in high school and the kids who don't date are hating the kids who do. Well getting a date isn't a problem here in the Mayhem and asking for one doesn't make you a whore. OK, maybe it's a little bit of a stretch here but you know I'm talking about networking. The main reason we're here is to get noticed, make friends in the business, and have fun doing it. If we don't want that then we can at least let those who do want it enjoy the Model Mayhem experience. No more name calling please. smile.

Jun 13 06 06:40 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I'm one too so gimme some comments!

Jun 13 06 06:43 pm Link

Photographer

Josue Pena

Los Angeles, California, US

ha!!

Jun 13 06 06:44 pm Link