Forums > General Industry > What's In A Name

Photographer

FKVPhotography

Ocala, Florida, US

Something I've been wondering about.....where do all these odd/cool/wierd/funny names come from.....I came across Enola Gay....which was the name of the bomber that dropped the first nuke on Japan......but was that the intent of the person using it.....or....is her name Enola and she's gay.......

My own....FKVPhotoGraphics is fairly simple......the initials of my name and the two things I do....photography and graphic design.....

So...what I'm asking is....How did you come by your screen name/professional name/ stage name??????

Jun 08 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

I made miine up. A sort of throwback to an online roleplay character. Oh, yeah, also playing up the fact of my striking green eyes.

Jun 08 06 07:13 pm Link

Model

Electra T

Brooklyn, Indiana, US

Electra...Teles-google me !

simple.

Jun 08 06 07:14 pm Link

Model

Ashleigh Williams

Columbia, South Carolina, US

Ashleigh........I got if from....well...my mom.  She was a smart woman, a little weird, but smart.  This is my birth name, stage name, and yes my model mayhem name.  It let's me express who I really am- It's a common name, but with a unique spelling.  Now, imagine me saying this with much sarcasm, because that's how I am imagining it ;-)

Jun 08 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Nothing special here....it's just my name. :-)

(Maybe I should try to come up with some cool moniker.)

Jun 08 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

"Click" is my nickname because of my love of photography, so I use it as easy and memorable. I'm a marketing guy so I think about things like how my names or labels present me or my products.

Here are a couple more cute names I've seen that I like ...

F. Stop Fitzgerald
Phil Flash

and my own brothers:

W.C. Hamilton
Rutherford Hamilton
http://www.pbase.com/click_hamilton/family

A little kid who likes to come here to visit .. I call him "Lenscap" ... I had cute and charming photos of him up for awhile, but because of his age, and because he's not my son, I decided to take them down.

Best regards,

"Click"
Ham Hamilton III, Esq.
www.pbase.com/click_hamilton

Jun 08 06 07:23 pm Link

Photographer

Linger Studios

Portland, Oregon, US

Well, we recently began working as a team, so that was an important thought. "Enko" is Japanese for the idea of "relation, connection, affinity." I thought that worked well with the idea of how we connected up and became a collaborative group, and the idea of models connecting with the camera, and that sort of thing. smile

Jun 08 06 07:35 pm Link

Model

Jay Dezelic

Seattle, Washington, US

I actually spent a little time coming up with a name strategy.  As an Internet model, your name is kind of your brand identification.  If you have aspirations of becoming popular, then it's a good idea to do some research and create a brand.  In my case, I am doing it to eventually promote my clothing line.

I had already started a domain for my clothing company called jdez.com  When I decided to do some modeling, I thought it would be cool to have a name that related to my clothing company web site.  I also wanted a name that was unique so that it would be easy to search for on the Internet, easy to remember, and consistent with my Croatian heritage.

Jun 08 06 07:50 pm Link

Photographer

Kentsoul

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US

I think it was my father's idea, but I'm not totally sure.

Jun 08 06 07:57 pm Link

Photographer

Tied And Taped

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I picked my handle because it's actually the name of my website.  When I decided to do what I do, I figured I'd specialize.  So I decided on all tape gags for my shoots, and there ya go.

Jun 08 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

REPhotography

San Diego, California, US

my initals and being as my last name starts with p, it was a natural progression.  but ive also been known as "hey you" or "yo".... smile
-Rob

Jun 08 06 08:11 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

i randomly typed letters...

Jun 08 06 08:13 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

My mom heard the name "Tikeya" on the radio.  She said that her friend thought she was crazy when she decided to give me that name.  I like my name a lot though. 

Also, do y'all remember that TV show (comedy) IN LIVING COLOR?  There was an actress on there named Tekeyah (can't remember the exact spelling).  Jim Carrey was on that show too, by the way.  smile

Jun 08 06 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

KEKnight

Cumming, Georgia, US

I thought I was a photographer until I look at pictures like D. Swinkey's.  The name then says it all....

Jun 08 06 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

d artiste provocateur

Madison, Wisconsin, US

Mines paying homage to the art gallery that my parents had in the 60's and 70's.  It's where I first became... aware.

Jun 08 06 08:23 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

Well... Jay is only a nickname, taken from  -waitforitwaitforitwaitforit-  the first letter of my first name.  It was a very difficult decision that results in more than a little bit of confusion.  My friends call me Jay but family members don't since my older brother's first name also begins with a J and we all call him Jay which gets even more confusing when you consider that his wife's name begins with a J and his 3 sons have names starting with J and my dad's name begins with J though people didn't call him Jay since his father's name started with J as well but I digress...

The Bowman part I didn't have a choice in.  Blame that on a couple of my ancestors for their weapon of choice as they went hither and yon through ye olde forests...

Jun 08 06 08:31 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:
i randomly typed letters...

He wasn't talking to you people with normal boring names. He was talking to people with interesting names like muah.

Jun 08 06 08:38 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Adrienne Aurora wrote:
He wasn't talking to you people with normal boring names. He was talking to people with interesting names like muah.

i liked you other one better..

it was much more..

..interesting...

and what are you talking about boring names...random letters im tellin ya....

Jun 08 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

_Cinnamon_

San Francisco, California, US

Cinnamon is my real first name. I don't get credit for any creativity--that's all my mom.

Jun 08 06 08:50 pm Link

Photographer

MikeyBoy

Milltown, Wisconsin, US

smile being the anit-pompous, not one to wallow in self-seriousness, non-ego trip, non-artsy fartsy-fullspelled-name-including-middle- name and/or II or jr. or double initials-before-last name knobshine... i settled on this.. smile

Jun 08 06 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

J Merrill Images

Harvey, Illinois, US

The Enola Gay was named after the mother of its pilot, Paul Tibbets. My photography "nic" comes from my name - J is my first intial and Merrill is my middle name.

Jun 08 06 08:55 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Doug Swinskey wrote:

i liked you other one better..

it was much more..

..interesting...

and what are you talking about boring names...random letters im tellin ya....

Alliteration is where it's at man.

Jun 08 06 08:56 pm Link

Photographer

Cyberhawk Studios

Mount Vernon, Washington, US

Mine is a play on the  Sabre Hawks. When I first got into the internet back in '99 I was taking a web design class and needed a name so Cyberhawk just worked it's way out. Of course there already was a cyberhawk.com, so I went with www.cyberhawkstudios.com came to be.

Jun 08 06 08:59 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Alliteration is where it's at man.

you are so totally uninteresting..why am i so fascinated with you...

Jun 08 06 09:00 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

At the time I got into this ... (a girl who worked for me ws a fine art nude model, showed me her pics, said "Dave Levingston would love you." The rest is history.) I was going through a break up, thought I was getting married and broke off the engagement 48 hours before I was supposed to move to be with the guy I'd known for years and marry ... couldn't find a decent guy to go out with because they kept saying:

a) if you want me, you'll have to be a military wife (again) and let me join the army

or

b) if you marry me you'd have to quit modeling, hide the tattoos, not tell anyone you're bi or pagan ...

or

c) don't tell my mother you're divorced

or

d) I can't go out with you because you're a witch. I truly fear for your soul *gag*

I was deciding at the time whether to go by Alchemy, Nemesis or DarkAngel ... Dave said because I model nude, it'd be safer to go by a stage name, and Psyrotica's was pretty cool so the one name concept came around.

Nemesis came around because I looked at Dave and said "I don't know who the hell these guys think they are, thinking they're so great that I'll hide who I am, what I am, what I do and change for them but I'll show them!!" A Nemesis is not only the Greek Goddess of vengeance but it's the one person you keep going up against and you keep losing.

I've thought of changing it and taking a 2 name stage name but I look at the fashion and glamour models who take stage names and sound like drag queens and figure I'd rather sound like a comic book character.

Cheers,
Nemi

Jun 08 06 09:04 pm Link

Photographer

Moraxian

Germantown, Maryland, US

Moraxian is a villain character I used to role play on AOL, and later on the internet.  Since the content I shoot for my websites is from the villain's perspective, I figure the name is as good an alias as I could want.  smile

Jun 08 06 09:04 pm Link

Model

Nemesis73

Dayton, Alabama, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Not to be rude, but "muah" is a kissing sound, "moi" is the french word for me.

Take care,
Nemi

Jun 08 06 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Nemesis73 wrote:

Not to be rude, but "muah" is a kissing sound, "moi" is the french word for me.

Take care,
Nemi

i am sure thats exactley what she intended....

Jun 08 06 10:58 pm Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

On here, I use dissolvegirl because that's what I use on iStock. I used it on iStock because it's how I was known on DeviantART.. I'm the only googleable dissolvegirl on the internet, last I checked. There are a ton of "dissolvedgirl"s because that's the proper spelling of the Massive Attack song I took it from.

Fade.. Made to fade.. Passion's overrated anyway..

wink

Jun 09 06 12:51 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Mine was more of a mickey take thing originally.
Sirens were ugly buggers but they sounded great.
As a singer first and foremost this tickled me and the name stuck.

Jun 09 06 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Bounddreams

Largo, Florida, US

Well...My wife and I have always practiced "romantic retraint", and I started calling her my little "bound dream". So when I started with the photgraphy and since she was my first model, it seemed like a good fit. Bound Dream didnt look right, so I made it one word and added an "s" in case I ever added models. Good thing I put that "s" on there (lol)

Jun 09 06 08:11 am Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

I was relaxing in bed one day, trying to think of a name for my vast worldwide Internet enterprises, when our dog jumped up with a well gnawed bone in her mouth.

https://dgbn.com/photo/img/header02.gif

Jun 09 06 09:12 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

My first name + my middle name. My mom got my first name from the Cosby show (Claire Huxtable).

Jun 09 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
My first name + my middle name. My mom got my first name from the Cosby show (Claire Huxtable).

Your mom did good. Your name fits you.

Jun 09 06 09:23 am Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

Jim Ball wrote:
Nothing special here....it's just my name. :-)

(Maybe I should try to come up with some cool moniker.)

You're a photographer-you need a studio name.

Jun 09 06 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

N8R Photography

San Francisco, California, US

My name is Nate, friends called me Nater, my affinity for the #8 evolved it into N8R. I think that photography part after N8R has something to do w/my camera, but I'm not sure...

Jun 09 06 07:31 pm Link