Forums > General Industry > TFCD: Tagging The Pics With your Logo/Name

Photographer

FabioTovar

Culver City, California, US

How many of you slap your logo or name on the pics you give out on CD from a TFCD shoot?

Has anyone ever given you grief about it?

Who thinks it is or isn't acceptable.

I have yet to do it. BUT I have already been taken advantage of and seen my photos used to promote businesses which the person involved in the shoot had.

I finally got them to either take it down or provide CLEAR credit with a link to my page. (yes.. it was in the release that business use of the pics was not allowed)

SO... tag the pics or not?

Jun 07 06 03:35 am Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

I usually, with the exception of something like 5 photographers, get a photographers watermark on my pics and thus far I've only worked TFP/CD.

Jun 07 06 03:37 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

i don't take any exchanges (e.g., TFPs/CDs) but do put the copyright © tag on all my work going out; just a matter of choice ...

FML

Jun 07 06 03:41 am Link

Photographer

Attractive Portraits

London, England, United Kingdom

FabioTovar wrote:
(yes.. it was in the release that business use of the pics was not allowed)

SO... tag the pics or not?

Could I have a copy of the release, as I have a lot of TFCD comming up?

Thanks, Charlie.

PS. As a matter of course, I usually put my logo on pics going out for business use, whether a freebie or not.

Jun 07 06 04:07 am Link

Photographer

dissolvegirl

Northampton, Massachusetts, US

I don't muck around with watermarks or copyright notices. If a model is using the images to promote herself, for her portfolio, I'm not going to ruin the look of the images she worked for by putting some large copyright notice or unsightly watermark on them. I think it's diminishing the product received by the model in a trade (The model works for images covered in watermarks or text, and the photographer throws in.. web-sized images with free advertising for him?), and if a client pays me, I'm certainly not going to throw my ad on there.

Of course, I have class act models who put my copyright notice up on their MySpace images even though I forgot to ask them to do so. And I also put in my contract with models that they can't display images online longer than 500 pixels on the largest side. So I guess I have my own ways of dealing with potential copyright violation.

Jun 07 06 09:57 am Link

Model

ANNABELLA

Atlanta, Georgia, US

If a photog's logo is on a pic is it still alright for it to go in a portfolio?

Jun 07 06 04:21 pm Link

Photographer

Nigel Aves Photography

Longmont, Colorado, US

dissolvegirl wrote:
I don't muck around with watermarks or copyright notices. If a model is using the images to promote herself, for her portfolio, I'm not going to ruin the look of the images she worked for by putting some large copyright notice or unsightly watermark on them.

Of course, I have class act models who put my copyright notice up on their MySpace ....

Great minds think alike, this is excatly what I do.

When it comes to using the images on MySpace or anywhere else like that all I ask is that they add a "comment" on "photography by .... etc etc" . I've not been let down yet.

Jun 07 06 04:31 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

I tell models the exact dimentions of the images at the negotiation stage. (580x730) And I have a copyright notice on the border. This way, anyone who decides to willfully infringe on my work and crop out the mark, he or she can do so without changing my composition. I know there's no way to 100% prevent anyone from stealing an image; so at the very least I'll have the original composition preserved.

Jun 07 06 04:39 pm Link

Photographer

David Birdsong

Pontiac, Michigan, US

Always..

Jun 07 06 08:55 pm Link

Photographer

Robbie Wolf Photography

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Sometimes I put a copyright and website address on the photo by extending the canvas size and adding it below the actual photo. But I only do that for small web pics that go on sites like this. The full size photos I don't do anything with. I figure if I do a good job taking a headshot, the modeling agency will ask where it was taken. I personally don't like to deface my own work.

Jun 07 06 09:30 pm Link

Photographer

Jim March

Colleyville, Texas, US

I put it on all my TFCD work.  It shouldn't effect the image at all if it's being used in a portfolio.  Anyone viewing the models portfolio is looking at the model and could give a rats ass less about the watermark.  However, having it there provides the exposure for me, and deters inappropriate use.

In the past I had left the watermarks off of my own portfolio.  This is because people looking at my portfolio are more intersted in the photography, and not the models.  However, classless models just started stealing the images out of my portfolio to replace their watermarked images.

Although I did have one photographer on this forum offer to photoshop out my watermark on her images.   What an ass!

Jun 08 06 12:44 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I would say 95% of the TFCD/TFP I have done had a watermark on it. I dont mind at all. And if it doesnt have a watermark I always make sure the photographer gets clear credit. On my OMP site I have shots from people who are not members there but I still put in their name. As far as my book, I know who took every picture in it and have contact info for everyone that I keep in an Excel spreadsheet should someone ask.

Jun 08 06 12:50 pm Link

Model

dani faye

Brooklyn, New York, US

i think it should be done as long as it doesn't look tacky or take away from the composition of the picture

Jun 08 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Silver Tip Images

Renton, Washington, US

I do not put the copyright notice on the images.  I have it on the label of the CD and it is for the model self promotion, web site and book.  I have no problem and the model provides a link to one of my sites and when I post some of her images on my site I link back to her just as part of networking with models.  I am happy to help her and usually the models are happy to do the same.  A scratch my back I'll scratch yours type thing.  Also a good way to get more TFP/CD from other models...

Jun 08 06 12:55 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

Los Angeles, California, US

i dont like it when its on images that i need to print out for my book. i think that's just rude. becuase when somebody is looking at my book, they are looking to hire a make-up artist...not a photographer. it is just tacky for the most part. something small and not noticeable if you are giving out web prints, but the model/stylist/etc shouldnt have to go around with your watermark in their book.

Jun 08 06 12:56 pm Link

Photographer

David Scott

Marion, Iowa, US

I used to... then I stopped... now I am starting again... my thing though is creating a short small logo smile

Jun 08 06 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Jim March wrote:
I put it on all my TFCD work.  It shouldn't effect the image at all if it's being used in a portfolio.  Anyone viewing the models portfolio is looking at the model and could give a rats ass less about the watermark.

You're not serious? lol

No professional portfolio has watermarks on the images...
I put my tagstrip on the bottom of my images that appear on modeling sites like MM, because, well... It's MM....

But in my book, I wouldn't dream of it.... and I've modified the portfolio on my website www.JohnAllanStudio.com to use flash so I can display purer images and not use the strip.

John

Jun 08 06 01:01 pm Link

Photographer

Jim March

Colleyville, Texas, US

Ummmm, flash doesn't stop people from pressing Print Screen.

Someone please tell Eddie Baute that he is not a professional.

Jun 08 06 01:07 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

If it's TFCD, my logo usually goes on it. There have been times where proofs have been used sad , but I'm figuring out this batch program to put them on all of my images before they go out.

If they pay me, then I don't put my logo on it, unless they want it, or I give them a discount on the image to put it on there. I had a model ask me to put my logo on her pictures, so as to show others the different photographers she had shot with.

Jun 08 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

rachelrose wrote:
i dont like it when its on images that i need to print out for my book. i think that's just rude. becuase when somebody is looking at my book, they are looking to hire a make-up artist...not a photographer. it is just tacky for the most part. something small and not noticeable if you are giving out web prints, but the model/stylist/etc shouldnt have to go around with your watermark in their book.

The way around that is to just pay for the image.

A photographer who GIVES someone an image will usually have their logo affixed to it. If you want one that's not, then just buy it. Sometimes a photographer will not put the logo on for you, but it depends.

Jun 08 06 02:17 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

You know, Bruce Talbot has the coolest logo, which looks very well on the models' pics.

Jun 08 06 02:21 pm Link

Model

Shyly

Pasadena, California, US

If a photographer gives me web versions of images we've shot together without a watermark, I'll put their name on the photo.  (Except when they specifically tell me not to.)  I feel it's important to give credit where it's due, and to respect the craft that goes into creating an image that I'm proud enough of to put in my portfolio.

Jun 08 06 02:26 pm Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

Jim March wrote:
Ummmm, flash doesn't stop people from pressing Print Screen.

yeah, thats the problem. it doesnt matter what method of copywright protection you use. if you post an image on the internet, it can be taken. and you dont have to be computer savvy to do it.

Jun 08 06 02:26 pm Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

To answer your question Fabio, within limits.
This is okay
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060529/03/ … e009a5.jpg

This...
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060404/01/ … b9f93c.jpg
Is so very not.

Jun 08 06 02:28 pm Link

Model

Bailee Martini

Jacksonville, Alabama, US

you know whats funny? i would be totally honored to have viva van story's water mark on my photos. i think that if you are going to add a watermark, at least take some time and make it look nice, and make it something that fits in with the general mood of your work.

Jun 08 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Los Imaging

Spring Hill, Florida, US

The way I see it, if I shot it, I tag it. (kind of like deer hunting!) Well, maybe not a lot like it. I can't imagine not signing my work though. I have been asked for an untagged version of a shot before for special situations, which I was happy to supply. As for TFP/TFCD I just automatically tag the images. I always have the originals to fall back on if needed.

Jun 08 06 02:39 pm Link

Photographer

Andy Meng

Tampa, Florida, US

Mitsukai wrote:
To answer your question Fabio, within limits.
This is okay
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060529/03/ … e009a5.jpg

This...
https://img4.modelmayhem.com/060404/01/ … b9f93c.jpg
Is so very not.

I'm actually OK with both of them.  The 2nd is a little bigger, but being in a corner, not overly distracting.  The ones I hate are the big banner ads through the middle, or even going across the whole bottom of the image.

Jun 08 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Los Imaging

Spring Hill, Florida, US

The way I see it, if I shot it, I tag it. (kind of like deer hunting!) Well, maybe not a lot like it. I can't imagine not signing my work though. I have been asked for an untagged version of a shot before for special situations, which I was happy to supply. As for TFP/TFCD I just automatically tag the images. I always have the originals to fall back on if needed.

Jun 08 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Christofer Rodriguez

San Bernardino, California, US

On my profile, all my images have my name - usually - right across the middle, or the top or the bottom. Anymore, the digital images I give to the models don't have anything as dramatic, just a small logo that could probably be cloned or cropped out. My stuff isn't all spectacular or anything like that, but, I think it's just too easy to "right click" and "copy" someone else's photos and claim them as their own.  That's not cool.

Jun 08 06 02:42 pm Link

Model

Mitsukai

Walnut Creek, California, US

Andy Meng wrote:

I'm actually OK with both of them.  The 2nd is a little bigger, but being in a corner, not overly distracting.  The ones I hate are the big banner ads through the middle, or even going across the whole bottom of the image.

Unfortunately the second link is not a good example however there are photos from that set that are unuseable because the logo detracts so much.

I have never seen anyone put big banner ads through the middle. That is simply amazing. I probably haven't seen it because all the models refuse to use those photos.

Jun 08 06 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Andy Meng wrote:

Exactly.

My thing is that with people being able to grab images from anywhere, I at least want to have my logo on it.

Jun 08 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

Johari Davis

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Personally I tag everything .. and I charge extra if you dont want the tag on it .. Dont get me wrong .. its a small tag placed in the corner of the image but its there !!! With TFP or TFCD it is really a must cause the model gets some hot images and you get a questionable credit if someone ask who did the shot. I always reflect back to "GS" when someone askes about it .. try that ish with GlamourShots and see what they say ... lol

Jun 08 06 03:33 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

VRG Photography wrote:

The way around that is to just pay for the image.

A photographer who GIVES someone an image will usually have their logo affixed to it. If you want one that's not, then just buy it. Sometimes a photographer will not put the logo on for you, but it depends.

if its a trade shoot, i have volunteered my services, as well as everybody else on set. i am not going to buy a picture from the photographer. just as he is not going buy me make-up, etc. especially since i am going to be paying to have the image printed at a lab. like i said, i am not opposed to watermarking a web image. but in all actuality, my physical book shouldn't have watermarks on it.

everybody contributed to the shoot, so should i watermark my name on the image too, so that when the photographer puts it in his book, everybody will know that I did the make-up? no because, its not about ONE person in particular. it takes a team to create a great image, and i think a lot of people lose sight of this.

i dont really work with photographers who insist on having their names on EVERYTHING or photographers who are stingy with images. I also make sure to credit the photographer when I use their work on my website.

i work with photographers that value my opinion and my needs as a make-up artist as much as I value their needs as a photographer/model/etc...

i hardly consider giving somebody an image to print for their portfolio after a team volunteered their time and effort, merits a charitble act on the photographers part.

Jun 08 06 05:00 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

I always throw my tag on there. If a model wants one without the tag to get printed or whatever, I'd be happy to provide that as well.

Jun 08 06 05:06 pm Link

Photographer

billi

MCKINNEY, Texas, US

i would never put a watermark on a print version of an image but on MM you gotta have some sort of protection i feel. and fabio... they used your image for an ad? you didn't sue? or didn't want to? i guess that's noble on your part but i'm a pro and am not that forgiving at all... especially since it was on the release you gave them... they totally read that shit and said "fuck it! we're using it anyways!" does your face still hurt from the slap?

Jun 08 06 05:15 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Rachel,

My point is that if you want a photo WITHOUT the logo, no matter what part you played in it, you should be prepared to pay for it if the photographer doesn't give away images without his/her logo on it.

As was already said, images get out there, and people want to know who took the picture. I understand the part that you and other MUA's play in making the picture what it is, but from a photographer's perspective, I want to make sure that people know WHO took the picture, should it start making an electronic trip around the world.

I don't mind letting everyone know who did the model's makeup, but I don't make it a habit of letting images go without my logo, unless it's paid for.

Lastly, don't underestimate the cost of creating an image for someone. While people think that all you have to do is push a few buttons and the picture comes out, the fact of the matter is that THAT image costs, too.

Jun 08 06 05:18 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Rayrayrose

VRG Photography wrote:
Rachel,

My point is that if you want a photo WITHOUT the logo, no matter what part you played in it, you should be prepared to pay for it if the photographer doesn't give away images without his/her logo on it.

As was already said, images get out there, and people want to know who took the picture. I understand the part that you and other MUA's play in making the picture what it is, but from a photographer's perspective, I want to make sure that people know WHO took the picture, should it start making an electronic trip around the world.

I don't mind letting everyone know who did the model's makeup, but I don't make it a habit of letting images go without my logo, unless it's paid for.

Lastly, don't underestimate the cost of creating an image for someone. While people think that all you have to do is push a few buttons and the picture comes out, the fact of the matter is that THAT image costs, too.

don't worry i get the "costs" of photography. everything has costs associated with it. but that always seems to come up. people should know WHO took the picture, and they can ask, and i will gladly tell them... i am not working with a thousand photographers so that i cant remember who took the picture. i never once said that photography is "pushing buttons". i wont get into my costs, because it's not about who has the most career expenses, its about watermarks. and everybody always seems to resort to costs to determine who is the most important person on the team.

i am talking about a print for an actual book, not an internet print. so unless a client were to take the image out of my book, scan it and post it on the internet. i dont see how that would merit a problem. considering my clients aren't model mayhem photographers, models or anybody who would actually take the time to do that. i could just see the JCpenney people saying... this image in this make-up artists book is killer, lets scan it and pass it off as our own! please, that is NEVER going to happen.

but like i said, i don't really run into this problem because i dont work with photographers who do that. i also make my expectations clear beforehand, so if the photographer has a problem with it, he can choose not to work with me. trust me, i am not hurting because i don't test a lot. i prefer quality to quantity.

now if david lachapelle wants to shoot with me, he can put his watermark on whatever he wants. but his style is difinitve enough to not need a watermark. maybe thats what people should be focusing on? having a style that is unique enough, that nobody else could pass it off as their own.

Jun 08 06 05:31 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

It's not always a big deal TO ME in terms of the costs, it all depends.

I'm not even sure at this point if we are agreeing with each other or going back and forth for the hell of it. Photographers can do things either way. They can print WITH the logo, or without it, and it all depends on their relationship with the models and MUAs as to what their choice will be.

If a photographer does a shoot for someone (TF whatever), and supplies everyone with photos, if they feel like those people will give them the credits that will allow them to gain more business, then chances are, they won't. If they aren't that comfortable, they most likely will put their logo on the photos.

In essence, it's all about the relationship. Some models and MUAs will FREELY give the credits to their photographers, while others won't. The photographer has to make up his/her mind at that point as to whether they will affix their logo or not, IF they don't have a strong opinion about it.

Jun 08 06 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

If my MUA or a stylist wanted a print from a shoot without the logo, I would have absolutely no problem doing so.

Jun 08 06 05:55 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Bates

Austin, Texas, US

I put my copyright on the web-sized images.. on the full size images that the model may use for their hard port, I only embed the copyright info in the EXIF data. A port should not have any watermark on an image..border copyrights are okay from what I understand (in SMALL print off to one side so as not to detract from the image)...but I don't do that either...the full size ones have it hidden in the EXIF data.

Michael

Jun 08 06 05:58 pm Link