Forums > General Industry > Hourly rates??

Model

Dunaway

London, England, United Kingdom

What is the going hourly rate for swimsuit photo shoots? for fashion shoots? for lingerie? 
All comments are much appreciated.
Cheers,
Faye

Jun 06 06 10:38 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

What's the usage?

Jun 06 06 11:04 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

San Diego, California, US

My standard rate for swimsuit photo shoots is $0/hr
My standard rate for fashion shoots is $0/hr
My standard rate for lingerie is $0/hr
Although you didn't ask, my standard rate for nude is $0/hr

This applies to both charging or paying. These are approximate figures.

I am not the customer. Nor are the people who model for me. We are working together to create a higher value that benefits us both. That's the reward, and it's worth far more than money.

From that point, it's customers who should be paying us.

Jun 07 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

Hm, I also don't charge, and don't pay.... I split ownership and any profits with the model equally, after expenses. Of course, then if THEY sell the photo, they have to split with me also, hee hee.

But absolutely true. If there is a particular purpose for the shoot, that helps determine the rate, if you are being paid. Obviously national ad campaign should pay well.

Jun 07 06 02:42 am Link

Model

Heidi Brennan

VAN NUYS, California, US

J Schumacher wrote:
Hm, I also don't charge, and don't pay.... I split ownership and any profits with the model equally, after expenses. Of course, then if THEY sell the photo, they have to split with me also, hee hee.

But absolutely true. If there is a particular purpose for the shoot, that helps determine the rate, if you are being paid. Obviously national ad campaign should pay well.

If you split profits, do you sign a release as to how much each person would get? If so, is there anywhere online I might see a release for that? Also, if you shoot with someone, how do you trust that they would be honest enough to pay you if they sell it? I know, it's a lot of questions!

Jun 07 06 02:58 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

I know it's amazing, but I fully trust the people I work with. To date, I haven't needed a contract, because of that. You could easily write one up, though. Just take a standard contract/release and add the clause; detail any expenses that may have been occured, and that's probably about it.... though I'm not a lawyer. Like I say, I work with the people I trust.

I feel that when you do a shoot, all parties concerned are creating the art. If you and the model work well together, it works. It's not all science, there's a bit a magic needed, and you can't put a price tag on magic. A good shot is not the work of a single person, if there's a model involved. Some will say the photographer does the work, and the model just poses there, but that's not true. The emotions need to come across. That's not easy work. Stand in front of a mirror one day, and try to do: elated , but with reservations. Shift to joyous abandon, and heartache. Not as easy as you thought, is it?

Of course, I should tell you that I don't do this for the money, I do it for fun now... any profit made is just a joyful benefit. And yes, most of the people out there are out to get you, so you should have a contract. Talk to an entertainment lawyer if you have any reservations, I'm sure they could whip you up a quick contract.

Blah blah blah....I talk to much. Strange, in the real world it's hard to get a word out of me.

Jun 07 06 04:36 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I charge nothing right now.  I'm looking for models to shoot.

Jun 07 06 04:44 am Link

Photographer

MurphyMurphy Studios

Denver, Colorado, US

Heidi Brennan wrote:

J Schumacher wrote:
Also, if you shoot with someone, how do you trust that they would be honest enough to pay you if they sell it? I know, it's a lot of questions!

You can't.  And it is a recipe for disaster.  The photographer will need to account for hundreds of shoots and write potentially hundreds of checks to models over the years.  If a Model moves, then what?  Does the model have audit rights of the photographers books?  Can the model also sell the images? Does the photographer have audit rights on the model's books?

While the allure of this arrangement is appealing, the practicality is lacking.

Jun 07 06 04:45 am Link

Photographer

J Schumacher

Gustine, California, US

As I say, totally based on trust.

Jun 07 06 04:52 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

The only thing I pay or hire a model for, is "full nude" images. And the rate depends on the model and her experience. I've had models offer to pose nude for free, and I've hired models at their rate also, however, based on experience. Most will request from $50 an hour to $150 an hour. I don't pay for swimwsuit, lingerie or, implied nude "topless" style images either.

Jun 07 06 04:59 am Link

Photographer

Brian Ziff

Los Angeles, California, US

one...MILLION...dollars!

*pinky to corner of mouth*

Jun 07 06 05:42 am Link

Photographer

Stuart Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Brian Diaz wrote:
What's the usage?

that is the correct question. how are the prints used?

Jun 07 06 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

Thuy Anh wrote:
I charge nothing right now.  I'm looking for models to shoot.

Thuy, I'll model for you in return for a cold Becks beer.

Jun 07 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Click Hamilton

MM Response Freeze #667

Jun 07 06 12:03 pm Link