Forums > General Industry > Photography great Arnold Newman is dead :(

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

damnit.

I missed a chance to see him speak recently and was already mad about that. ;alfdskjpqoiewru;alskdjf!!!!

Jun 06 06 04:40 pm Link

Photographer

Vincent Hobbs

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Arnold Newman will surely be missed in the photography world.

I had the opportunity to see Mr. Newman on 2 occassions at FotoFusion in Delray Beach, FL; he was a very down-to-earth artist with a deep passion for his work. The prints that were on display in the gallery were magnificent.

We have to take the opportunity to see these master photographers whenever we can - their work and their passionate spirit can give us direction and focus in our own careers.

First, we saw the loss of Gordon Parks this year, and now Newman...yet be assured that their work will live on forever...

Jun 06 06 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Met him once. One of the best portraitists of the 20th century. In his own words, "Good photography is 2% inspiration and 98% moving furniture."

Jun 06 06 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Met him once. One of the best portraitists of the 20th century. In his own words, "Good photography is 2% inspiration and 98% moving furniture."

Maybe for him it was 2%, but his 2% was far more than most othe professionals' 100%.

The strongest portrait I know of is his 1963 editorial photograph of Alfreid Krupp. (Some behind-the-scenes discussion of that shoot is here.)

Newman will be sorely missed.

Jun 06 06 11:29 pm Link

Photographer

Aaron_H

Ann Arbor, Michigan, US

The Stravinsky shot at the piano has always been a landmark for me, but there are so many. http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/newman/

Jun 07 06 05:23 am Link

Photographer

northern clicker

Anchorage, Alaska, US

Bummer. But he had a good run, no? I remember him as one of the first Masters I was exposed to (via a book of his), and how powerful it was to see portraits done so Right, Simply. It messed me up in a good way. I'd love to see his prints in person.

Jun 07 06 05:29 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Aaron_H wrote:
The Stravinsky shot at the piano has always been a landmark for me, but there are so many. http://www.pdngallery.com/legends/newman/

Thanks for citing that - that has always been one of my favorites.  What are we to do?  Cherish the memory and keep on with the good work.

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jun 07 06 07:47 am Link

Photographer

J C ModeFotografie

Los Angeles, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:

Right on!

JAY carreon
PHOTOGRAPHER

Jun 07 06 07:48 am Link

Photographer

500 Gigs of Desire

New York, New York, US

Thanks so much for sharing this, what amazing portraits.

Jun 07 06 08:00 am Link

Photographer

oldguysrule

Glad to see this thread here
Newman will be missed
We've lost so many already...

Jun 07 06 08:11 am Link