Forums > General Industry > Isnt this one sided?

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

So I see a tfp casting call that requires the model to do her own makeup or pay for the mua, give full rights so the photog can sell them for stock, edit her own photos, and travel on her own dime. Unbelievably people responded. Call me crazy but isnt tfp supposed to be mutually beneficial? If the model does all that what good is the photographer lol?

Jun 06 06 03:06 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

If people responded it is called "informed consent". 

Why are other people's choices an issue?

Jun 06 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Well, somebody's gotta hold the camera and click the shutter and her hands will be busy doing all that other stuff. LOL.

Jun 06 06 03:10 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

yani wrote:

I could care less who said they were interested. I just dont see how that can be considered tfp.

Jun 06 06 03:12 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
So I see a tfp casting call that requires the model to do her own makeup or pay for the mua, give full rights so the photog can sell them for stock, edit her own photos, and travel on her own dime. Unbelievably people responded. Call me crazy but isnt tfp supposed to be mutually beneficial? If the model does all that what good is the photographer lol?

Oh hell I'd say 70% of the time the models responding to these casting have no idea what they are responding to. Which may be the case here.

I could post a casting telling models I would pay them $1,000 for 4 hours of shooting, 3-4 looks, all images edited and on a CD. But, I would have to cut off their left foot.
I'd get about 20 "I'm interested, let me know if I have what it takes"  responses.

Jun 06 06 03:13 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Envy wrote:

Oh hell I'd say 70% of the time the models responding to these casting have no idea what they are responding to. Which may be the case here.

I could post a casting telling models I would pay them $1,000 for 4 hours of shooting, 3-4 looks, all images edited and on a CD. But, I would have to cut off their left foot.
I'd get about 20 "I'm interested, let me know if I have what it takes"  responses.

I love that lol. And I would certainly let you have my left foot for a chance to shoot with you!

Jun 06 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

yani wrote:

This is a typical response, similar in mentality to those such as "If you don't like their terms, don't hire them", "If you don't like the TV show, change  the channel", etc.

While all this is true, there is benefit in constructively discussing those that may be unreasonsable so that others may be educated, including perhaps the "offender".

Jun 06 06 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Envy wrote:

Envy, not only can you have my left foot, you can have the right one too. Why the hell do I need 'em, they don't do me any good.

Jun 06 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Hayes

Cotacachi, Imbabura, Ecuador

Not seeing the ad nor knowing who the photographer is I could say that it still might be trade if the photographer was of a quality level that normally doesn't shoot TFP at all and the models would normally be expected to pay for.

Granted I expect that NOT to be the actually case, just pointing out that it could be. :-)

Jun 06 06 03:19 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

rp_photo wrote:

This is a typical response, similar in mentality to those such as "If you don't like their terms, don't hire them", "If you don't like the TV show, change  the channel", etc.

While all this is true, there is benefit in constructively "outing" those that are unreasonsable so that others may be educated, including perhaps the "offender".

I wasnt outing anyone I just think its interesting that people make outrageous demands and get plenty of responses. As Envy said a lot of it probably involves a lack of reading on the part of the models.

Jun 06 06 03:19 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Duvall

Seattle, Washington, US

Value is individually subjective. Especially when we are talking about something that has no expected resale. Any thing is worth what two individuals will accept or pay for it and nothing more. As long as someone thinks its a good deal it is for them. I have models who seek me out and move heaven and earth to work with me. I have models who I have to move heaven and earth to work with. Some people look at my work, and there is no amount of money that could get them to pose for me. Others pester me and don't care so much that there is even film in the camera they just want to get tied up.

And if I was ever on the east coast, you're one I would move some dirt adn sky to get to.

Jun 06 06 03:22 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Jim Duvall wrote:
Value is individually subjective. Especially when we are talking about something that has no expected resale. Any thing is worth what two individuals will accept or pay for it and nothing more. As long as someone thinks its a good deal it is for them. I have models who seek me out and move heaven and earth to work with me. I have models who I have to move heaven and earth to work with. Some people look at my work, and there is no amount of money that could get them to pose for me. Others pester me and don't care so much that there is even film in the camera they just want to get tied up.

And if I was ever on the east coast, you're one I would move some dirt adn sky to get to.

I can certainly see your point if the aforementioned person was all that great. Its funny how casting calls like that get 20 responses and there are amazing photographers who get 0. And thank you for the compliment by the way.

Jun 06 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

I love that lol. And I would certainly let you have my left foot for a chance to shoot with you!

You know damn well it's true. smile
Careful what you say Claire , I have a drawer full of feet. I'm selling them to Collin Rae in exchange for a foot massage.

Jun 06 06 03:26 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Envy wrote:

You know damn well it's true. smile
Careful what you say Claire , I have a drawer full of feet. I'm selling them to Collin Rae in exchange for a foot massage.

Envy will now have a large left foot collection!!

Jun 06 06 03:27 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I will go against the grain and say that the value of the offer is there for you to accept or reject. Some people would think a wiser person would reject such terms, while others would think you'd be a fool not to accept.

For instance, I would think a makeup artist would be a fool to take a job that only paid her $35, or a photographer do a 4 hour shoot for only $50, while others would say, how could you turn down that kind of money - are you crazy!

We all value things differently, moot point.

Jun 06 06 03:29 pm Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Assuming the photographer is legit, he's going to bring 5000.00$-10000.00$ worth of equipment to the shoot, plus his expertise. Her investment ?

Jun 06 06 03:31 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Fons Studio wrote:
Assuming the photographer is legit, he's going to bring 5000.00$-10000.00$ worth of equipment to the shoot, plus his expertise. Her investment ?

That argument is getting old lol. And the model is the one traveling not to mention his expertise being questionable.

Jun 06 06 03:33 pm Link

Model

Asha

Ridiculous.  If the photographer is going to sell the images, everyone involved should get a piece of the pie.  Whenever a model does TFP/CD the contract should say that no one can sell the images for profit...duh.

Jun 06 06 03:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Envy will now have a large left foot collection!!

Gee Claire, i didn't know you had a large left foot. smile

Jun 06 06 03:35 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Asha wrote:
Ridiculous.  If the photographer is going to sell the images, everyone involved should get a piece of the pie.  Whenever a model does TFP/CD the contract should say that no one can sell the images for profit...duh.

Yes that is what I am getting at. The model is spending $$ in order for the photographer to earn $$ when he sells the images, which he wont even edit for her.

Jun 06 06 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

That argument is getting old lol. And the model is the one traveling not to mention his expertise being questionable.

Old doesn't make it false. But if he is less than adequate to the task, it's up to each model to question her investment in the deal.

Jun 06 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Fons Studio wrote:

Old doesn't make it false. But if he is less than adequate to the task, it's up to each model to question her investment in the deal.

Im not saying that its a false argument. But models and muas spend just as much as you have spent on your equipment. Believe me, I have receipts for my wardrobe, shoes, mua's, hair stylists, travel, marketing, print services, etc which add up to at least 5K. MUA's spend money on education, travel, products, etc. We all spend $$.

Jun 06 06 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Israel Kendall

Trenton, North Carolina, US

I think it's just the word "Commercial" that gets these models all excited...They are getting some pics for their port though. I'm just wondering about the lawsuits that arise if one of the dogs bites someone, chows can be crazy sometimes!

Jun 06 06 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

claire, why dont you just PAY your photographer and have all the rights and copyright. Then no argument!   case is closed!

Jun 06 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Im not saying that its a false argument. But models and muas spend just as much as you have spent on your equipment. Believe me, I have receipts for my wardrobe, shoes, mua's, hair stylists, travel, marketing, print services, etc which add up to at least 5K. MUA's spend money on education, travel, products, etc. We all spend $$.

Agreed Claire. The really good models who have made a serious investment in their careers, usually don't need the services of photographers such as the one you mentioned. If a model is starting out tho, or has a tendency to show up with the only clothes on her back, then it's a different story.

Jun 06 06 03:44 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Envy wrote:

Currently there's a casting call for a 'happa' model to travel to China.  'Happa' means half asian, half white.  The definition is also explained in one of the messages on the thread.

Despite that, it's remarkable how many models that do not fit the description in any way (many that are neither white or Asian) responded by saying "I'm interested!"

In the early days of MM, there was a very popular thread where some guy was offering $15,000 to do a photo shoot.   I forgot the details of it, but the whole thing was a parody... but many models responded to it anyways. 

It got to a point where the original poster edited one of the first few posts to say "The Message is a Satire.  It's not a Real Job Offer.  It is a Joke!"... yet the models kept on responding to it!

Finally, a whole discussion about that message and thread appeared in a different forum.  There was no other casting call or announcement... it was simply a group of people discussing the original message, trying to figure out why these dumb models were responding... and unbelievably... some of the models started posting "I'm Interested" messages in that thread as well!

Jun 06 06 03:44 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

UnoMundo Photography wrote:
claire, why dont you just PAY your photographer and have all the rights and copyright. Then no argument!   case is closed!

Lets see.......because I did that once and got screwed. But since this has nothing to do with me paying anyone.........

Jun 06 06 03:45 pm Link

Model

Angel Tara

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Fons Studio wrote:

What has that to do with the value she's getting out of the deal?? That may or may not be a valid argument, but it's not the issue here.

Theoretically...

He's getting photos he will be selling to stock.

She, being that she must edit her own pics and is likely not an expert, and has to do her own makeup, and is also likely not an expert at that either, is probably going to get pics that aren't worth that much, in terms of getting paid jobs or printing for a book or comp. So....

he makes $$$, she make -$$$

one-sided....IMHO

Jun 06 06 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Fons Studio wrote:

My camera body and lenses are worth more than that alone..

Jun 06 06 03:49 pm Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

There you go !

Jun 06 06 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Fons Studio

Montreal, Wisconsin, US

Jun 06 06 03:51 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

then just  STOP the TFP crap.
When a  photographer calls you he/she pays.

When you call a photographer you pay!

Every economics textbook tells you that barter doe NOT make an economy!

Jun 06 06 03:52 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Lets see.......because I did that once and got screwed. But since this has nothing to do with me paying anyone.........

You get what you pay for?

Jun 06 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

Jay Bowman

Los Angeles, California, US

When you put it that way, yes, it's one-sided (though I'm not sure that the model can simply yank creativity with a camera out of her ass).  Most people can see that.  Which is why the people who respond have no excuse.  They can, presumably, read.  If they don't pay attention or if they do think it's a good deal, then that's their business. 

Much like people who have exorbant rates for otherwise "bad" photography/modeling/make-up artistry/styling/etc.  If someone is willing to pay, then the hired person has justified his or her rates.

Also, though the model is doing all of that, which I would consider covering the expenses of a trade, how do you know that in the final terms and conditions, stock profits aren't shared?

Jun 06 06 03:54 pm Link

Photographer

That Look Photography

Clearwater, Florida, US

Can I get the list of models that wanted a deal like that ? That just does not sound right to me...

Mike

Jun 06 06 03:58 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Envy wrote:

Oh shit- do it please!!

Jun 06 06 04:03 pm Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Claire , you are approaching TFP and a paid job the same.

When you pay, you are a client; you ask questions; experience style, delivery.
You get to be a pain in the ass, make demands , you are paying.

If you pay for a session and simply accept poor results, you did not get what you deserve.

If on the other hand , it is a TFP you cant make demands. You have NONE, ZIP.
So any model showing up with her own release or shared release is NO.

Any job I do for a client or myself that I intend to make money from, I pay.
why?  it gives me or the client SOLE and all RIGHTS TO THE PHOTOGRAPHS.
There is not shared, some, promotional issues. In other words you cant sue me later!

I pay so I will NEVER have these arguments here or anyplace else.

Jun 06 06 04:03 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:

My boobs alone are worth that.

Jun 06 06 04:05 pm Link

Model

Envy

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Adrienne Aurora wrote:

Oh shit- do it please!!

I'm sure the mods would not find it nearly as funny as we would. smile

Jun 06 06 04:07 pm Link

Model

Adrienne Aurora

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Envy wrote:

I'm sure the mods would not find it nearly as funny as we would. smile

That Bogus Agency thread is still one of the greats!!

Jun 06 06 04:09 pm Link