Forums > General Industry > http://www.modelmarketingagency.com/main.html

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

Anyone familuar with this "agency"?

------------

Hello,

I'm a talent director for Star Marketing & Modeling Agency,LLC. Star Marketing & Modeling Agency, LLC is a licensed full service nation wide and over seas agency, that works with new to professional models and provides modeling job placement, representation, agency book placement, and marketing for serious models. Star Marketing & Modeling Agency, LLC is sincerely looking for your look and there are no FEES if you get accepted for a 1 year non-exclusive contract.

Clients requests models for (Print/Editioral, Promotions, Music
Videos, Commercial,lingerie, Runway, Fashion, and Glamour).

Follow the instructions for the application process/photo submission
(send your very best professional portfolio photos), please fill out
our online application by going to www.modelmarketingagency.com

Once you enter the website click on the orange panel on the left side
that says sign up for consideration to get represented.

Best wishes,

Talent Director
Nacy Pierre
646-705-3659
www.modelmarketingagency.com

Jun 06 06 11:24 am Link

Model

Carolina-Maggi

Miami, Florida, US

Nicci... I think that agency sound kind of tricki actually....
Legitimate agencies WILL NEVER CHARGE YOU for any type of contract.... If an agency is interested in you, and they see potential they will send you to castings take you pictures so they can earn money when they charge the 10-20% comission. That is the only way they should get money from you so this agency is not 1 in a million all agencies should be like that. The webpage it's not really good if they are so big I think they would have a little bit of quality in their webpage. Pictures are out of proportion and their models look kind of funky because of this. (Not in every case they need to have the best webpage but if they are an international that most likely the way to show their models)

The only way for you to know if they are legitimate is if they have a licence...go and meet them... It is true that you wont loose anything trying because is a unexclusive contract but I recomend that if you believe that they can help your career dont even waste your time.

Again I am just a Model and Maybe I am wrong but this is what I think and what I have learn in the time that I have been modeling

PD: I think the best agencies specially for comercial are the SAG agencies you can find a list on www.SAG.org check them out they will really help

Good luck!

Hope the best for you

Carolina Maggi

Jun 06 06 11:47 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Based on what's presented on the website that you've displayed, I would tend to say that the agency in question is either a total fake, or grossly underqualified.  My personal feeling is that it's simply a total fake like so many other 'agencies'.

Some clues:

I recognized several of the models on their header, one of them being Lina So from Las Vegas / Los Angeles... however she's not listed in the model portfolios.

Secondly, the website is very quick to show some license, registration, and Tax ID numbers... yet they don't even say what STATE those licenses are in, nor do they list a company address ANYWHERE!  A reliable modeling agency will display their address prominently in all advertising, and it's a true DANGER SIGN if that address ends up being someones apartment.

Finally, the term "Nationwide" is a con when used in the modeling agency world.  Many states have special requirements for licensing of modeling and talent agencies.  Other states regard talent agencies as employment agencies, which still have to fulfill special licensing in several states.  Unless a said agency is licensed in each of the states, they cannot be considered "Nationwide".

Furthermore, for that particular agency to attempt to do business in Florida in the manner that they are currently operating, they'd be committing a third degree felony, as all agencies and managers in Florida must be licensed, and the penalty for unlicensed agents is felony charges.

Oh yeah, and as Carolina stated above, "Star" isn't affiliated or acknowledged by SAG, so there would be no chance that they could get anyone into TV or Movie productions as they seem to be claiming.

Addendum:
Because "Star Marketing" is using both New York and Connecticut phone numbers, it is presumed that is where they are doing business.  When a corporate records search was done, using either their name or 'license number', no records were found for currently operating LLC's.

Sources:
http://www.concord.sots.ct.gov/CONCORD/ … iryServlet
http://appsext5.dos.state.ny.us/corp_pu … ECT_ENTITY

Jun 06 06 11:51 am Link

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

I wasn't necessarily interested, to be quite frank. Infact, the website design is so poorly done, that I had to keep myself from laughing at the attempt they made to present themselves as professional. Professionals could afford a better design!

I guess it was a mere attempt just to throw the link and email out there on this forum just incase they contacted anyone else.

I'm not naive, I'm not unexperienced and I'm not desperate for this kind of crap! But you know, anyone/and everyone out there that wants to call themselves an "agency" or "booker" is going to contact you regardless.

Thank you for your kind words, ladies smile

Jun 06 06 11:56 am Link

Model

nicci

Columbus, Ohio, US

And Gents! big_smile

Jun 06 06 11:56 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Jun 06 06 12:01 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

it doens't say anything about Fees...or did I miss that? I dunno if it's legit but it doens't look that bad to me...and not all places have the ability to have fancy flash based websites...I don't see any problems with it except for some distortion in the images. But, they might reduce image quality to keep people from copying the model's images from the website. Their terms of service never mentions a fee (and is actually pretty short so not a lot of room for hiding things)...and it's a non exclusive contract.

if they're not charging a sign up fee, why not send in your pics. Or, you could email them and ask for details about their services or who their clients have been if you're curious about that kind of thing (never a bad idea)...on the whole, we're so quick to be suspicious about everything, but not everything is scam! Also, check for them on the BBB...if they've been reported for doing something wrong, it'll be mentioned there.

Good luck! smile

Jun 06 06 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Sara Beth wrote:
Also, check for them on the BBB...if they've been reported for doing something wrong, it'll be mentioned there.

The BBB is NOT a reliable source to find out if a business is licensed or legally operating.  The BBB is NOT a government or law enforcement agency.  The BBB is simply a club consisting of businessmen who's ORIGINAL INTENT was to provide information about fair and legal business practices.

The BBB was formed at a time that few laws regarding fair trade existed.  Since the BBB formation, a slew of laws were enacted, and gov't agencies such as the Fair Trade Commission were created to handle such illegal business practices.

Each BBB office is individually operated, and each are operated in a different manner.  The BBB normally will not display negative information about businesses that are members of the BBB, nor will they display information about a 'fake' business (ie: businesses that are not licensed or illegally operating).

If a complaint against a company is received by the BBB, the BBB often will either delay or totally disregard displaying negative information about the company IF the company simply does something like change their address OR phone number, or if the company simply states that they are 'trying' to come up with a reasonable solution to the problem.

MANY fraudulent businesses and scammers BECOME MEMBERS of the BBB in order to appear that they are honest and legitimate businesses.  The WISH Network is actually one of those companies that is listed as a member of one BBB branch... yet other BBB branches display negative information about the WISH network, deeming them to be unreliable.

The only way to obtain proper licensing information is to contact the individual state and county governments regarding a company.  Typically, the Secretary of State's office will have information regarding corporate status. The Department of Consumer Affairs or State Attorney General usually will have information regarding complaints about a particular company.  The county recorder will have licensing information on hand as well.

Don't trust the BBB for accurate information.  It is impossible for them to obtain it, and there are no laws allowing the BBB to obtain such records.

Here's an example of a widely known scammer that has un UNSATISFACTORY RECORD with many entities including the BBB, yet they managed to get a different BBB office to approve them for membership:

"Wish" list of complaints at BBB of Pennsylvania:
http://www.scranton.bbb.org/commonrepor … d=10020644

"Wish" listed as "unsatifactory record" with same BBB of Pennsylvania:
http://www.scranton.bbb.org/commonrepor … d=93003288

"Wish" member profile of "BBB Online":
http://www.bbbonline.org/consumer/profi … =181000610

DO NOT TRUST THE BBB!!!

Jun 06 06 12:12 pm Link

Model

Sara Beth

New York, New York, US

okaaay, never mind smile