Forums > General Industry > What does a model's fee include?

Photographer

Photos By Deej

Tumwater, Washington, US

I had a photoshoot with a model who charged me $50/hr.  We drove to San Diego and from the time he left the car til the time he got back to the car was 8hrs.  The total cost was $400 which I was not expecting.  It took us 30min just to walk to the beach where the shoot was to take place, plus he changed a few times and I needed time to setup and move to various locations. Not to mention time we just chatted.  I thought the fees were supposed to be actual modeling time. Am I wrong?

Jun 06 06 09:07 am Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

its all what you negotiate...personally if i am hiring a model, i have a set rate ill pay for the shoot..the model can either accept or decline the shoot.

that way i dont have to worry about fees changing if i dont get what i want in the allotted time...

Jun 06 06 09:11 am Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Photos By Deej wrote:
I had a photoshoot with a model who charged me $50/hr.  We drove to San Diego and from the time he left the car til the time he got back to the car was 8hrs.  The total cost was $400 which I was not expecting.  It took us 30min just to walk to the beach where the shoot was to take place, plus he changed a few times and I needed time to setup and move to various locations. Not to mention time we just chatted.  I thought the fees were supposed to be actual modeling time. Am I wrong?

It depends on what you specified in your contract with her prior to the shoot.  You shouldn't be expected to pay for 'breaks,' 'cell phone time,' 'make up time', and so forth.   However, as she was gone the entire time, you really should have discussed the shot with her in advance and agreed upon a day rate, which should have been put into a model release/contract and signed by both of you prior to the shoot.  Don't wait until the shot is over to begin discussing price and/or cost.  Remember, if the model is on location with you, she's unavailable to shoot with anyone else.  She gives up her time for your project; if you're paying her (and she's not paying you), then she deserves to be paid for her time, in total (minus any break/lunch/personal time).

Cheers, Tim

Jun 06 06 09:12 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=47023
might want to check out this thread....

Jun 06 06 09:12 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I would think you are incorrect on that assumption,
He charged you for time on the job,
Which would be from when he arrived until you were done.

From his point of view....
walking to the site was time on the clock,
Changing locations was work related,
Dressing was part of the job description,
as was shooting time.

If any of these were not time you were expecting to pay for then that should have been clear before the shoot,

Jun 06 06 09:14 am Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

wat chris said.

Jun 06 06 09:18 am Link

Photographer

Nick Ryder

Walnut Creek, California, US

Photos By Deej wrote:

The agencies charge for travel time, and extra for lingerie, stuff like that, but, there's no real reason you need to strictly follow that format (unless you're shooting a legitimate commercial shoot wherein you've got a healthy budget).

$400 for a day rate is very reasonable, i wouldn't have booked it that low, our models are getting $1000-$1500 per day, flat day rates are the best in my opinion, it alleviates a lot the issues you're currently experiencing.

Jun 06 06 10:20 am Link