Forums > General Industry > Why is it so hard...

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

to find a mua? Normally I give lots of notice and I always pay at the very least a kit fee if not more. I usually even manage to get images for the mua. So why do they all ignore my emails/casting calls/etc? I always see threads about mua's not getting respect or pay but I am offering both. Sigh. End of rant.

Jun 06 06 08:29 am Link

Model

Little Miss Lady

Los Angeles, California, US

I dont know.. i normally have to do my own makeup!

Jun 06 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

A mystery I have wanted answered FOREVER!!! But hey I decided not to wait on them and started doing it myself...

Jun 06 06 08:39 am Link

Photographer

DarioImpiniPhotography

Dallas, Texas, US

Its not hard.  *MUAH!*

There.  Dont say I never threw you a kiss.  LOL.

Jun 06 06 08:48 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Dee wrote:
A mystery I have wanted answered FOREVER!!! But hey I decided not to wait on them and started doing it myself...

Did you take a class or just figure it out yourself?

Jun 06 06 08:49 am Link

Photographer

Dee

Toledo, Ohio, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

Did you take a class or just figure it out yourself?

Everything that I know even photography is self taught.... smile I picked stuff up here and there by asking Mary and a few other MUAs here...things like sanatizing and stuff..the actual important stuff you would learn from a school smile So I keep all my models nice and germ free...

Now I DIDNT say I liked doing it....I learned it out of necessity....

Jun 06 06 08:58 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It is hard, Claire.  I haven't found one to work with in Houston yet.  It's very frustrating, because I am one who believes in the importance of an MUA to a shoot.

Jun 06 06 09:22 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

TXPhotog wrote:
It is hard, Claire.  I haven't found one to work with in Houston yet.  It's very frustrating, because I am one who believes in the importance of an MUA to a shoot.

I totally agree. I really hate shooting without a mua. I think having a great mua saves you guys time in photoshop and I feel more confident as well. My fav mua only travels so far so when I am running all over the east coast she cant always come. Id really like to have like 5 or 6 muas in various locations that I can use regularly but try getting one of them to answer you. Im pullin $$ out of my own pocket and I cant even get a reply to an email.

Jun 06 06 09:25 am Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

I have a list of reliable makeup artists in this area available Claire...I'd be happy to recommend one or two for you.

Jun 06 06 09:25 am Link

Model

VeenaJ

New York, New York, US

Hey Claire,

I definitely feel your pain...and I think it's important to have an MUA, especially if you (and the photographer) want to get the most out of a shoot...

I'm pretty good at everyday makeup, but makeup for photography is a completely different game altogether!

If you're interested in a list of local MUAs I've worked with, feel free to send me a private message...

Good luck!  smile

Jun 06 06 09:49 am Link

Photographer

hallopino

Palatine, Illinois, US

I'm just not seeing an over abundance of MUA in Delaware

Jun 06 06 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

hallopino wrote:

yeah, but we're only 1/2 an hour south of Philly
and it's tough to find good ones from there as well

Jun 06 06 10:57 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

hallopino wrote:

Im not even referring to Delaware. I travel all the time and have only found 2 mua's that were reliable and good. I go to MD/PA/DE/DC/VA/NY/NJ. Thats a lot of places to not find mua's!! I need mua's in Baltimore for the next 2 weekends and cant find a soul despite my billion emails and castings.

Jun 06 06 10:59 am Link

Model

Lauren A Grey

Orland Park, Illinois, US

most of the time I do my own, but it really sucks when a photographer tries to get one for a shoot and you come showed up without any make-up on, then they dont show....

I had a make-up artist not show and the photographer made me leave because he never shot a girl who did their own make-up unless they were a pro!

Jun 06 06 11:04 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Thumper wrote:
most of the time I do my own, but it really sucks when a photographer tries to get one for a shoot and you come showed up without any make-up on, then they dont show....

I had a make-up artist not show and the photographer made me leave because he never shot a girl who did their own make-up unless they were a pro!

Wow I would definately be really peeved if they didnt show!! Usually when I have a mua I dont even bring my makeup bag. I havent had one no show yet but I guess I should be more prepared just in case.

Jun 06 06 11:06 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

This probably sounds really "hick", but have you tried going to one of the area cosmetology schools?  One of my friends got tons of work doing photoshoots while she was in cosmetology school.  The students are usually super creative, eager to work, and have all these fantastic ideas.  They also do hair, and any money you're willing to pay them is amazing, because they work for tips everyday at the school.  $50 - $75 dollars to them is a lot of money, and you're getting them extra practice and experience to boot.  My only recommendation would be to make sure that you get together with him/her at least once prior to the shoot so they can practice and make sure they have the right/enough tools.  A photographer that worked with my friend ended up buying her brushes and some makeup for her kit in exchange for her work on a shoot.  Not saying this is a fail-safe way to go, but maybe it could add an extra talent pool to search.

Jun 06 06 11:08 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

KatieK,
do you then, have to do your own makeup? You look wonderful, just curious.

Jun 06 06 11:16 am Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Jeff Marsh wrote:
KatieK,
do you then, have to do your own makeup? You look wonderful, just curious.

In some of them, yes.  Others, no.  I've been incredibly fortunate to have a MUA provided for a lot of shoots.  The MUA that worked on the shoot that my avi is from was AMAZING.  I showed up dog-tired from working constantly and running on coffee alone and she made me look like all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed in less than 30 minutes.  A great MUA can really make a shoot.  I can do my own if it's necessary, but the look is very natural and minimal.  Thank you, btw!

Jun 06 06 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KatieK wrote:
This probably sounds really "hick", but have you tried going to one of the area cosmetology schools?

Katie, this is a good idea, but one that needs to be approached with caution.  My experience with cosmetology schools is that they concentrate on hair styling, and give very short shrift to makeup.  It's unusual for a person to graduate from one of those schools and be qualified to do print makeup.

Jun 06 06 12:05 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Katie, this is a good idea, but one that needs to be approached with caution.  My experience with cosmetology schools is that they concentrate on hair styling, and give very short shrift to makeup.  It's unusual for a person to graduate from one of those schools and be qualified to do print makeup.

Yes I definately agree. My mom went to cosmetology school and she tried to do my makeup once but it wasnt quite right for photography.

Jun 06 06 12:08 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

TXPhotog wrote:

I agree very much that it should be approached with caution.  The school my friend went to (can't remember the name - years ago) spent an entire "semester" on it, and she was pretty talented at it naturally.  Aren't there schools solely for MUAs, too?

Jun 06 06 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

KatieK wrote:
Aren't there schools solely for MUAs, too?

There are.  Some very good ones.  Some that suck.  And then there is the training that MAC counter people get, which doesn't qualify them for print work either.

Finding a good MUA is tough!

Jun 06 06 01:44 pm Link

Model

Victoria Elle

New York, New York, US

I think a lot of stylists don't even check to casting forum, because everyone there wants them to work for free.  Stick to emailing directly, and make sure that, while you explain the shoot is TFP, you ask for their rates.  Many will then be kind and work for a kit fee, or reduced rate.  They're people too: tell them what you can honestly afford.  If you go in right off the bat asking them to work for a kit fee, they may be insulted.  Also remember that the looks a MUA wants in their book are different from what a photographer or model want, and your concept may not even be worth a kit fee to them, unfortunately.

Edit: Forgot!  Contact (acting) headshot photographers in the area and ask who they recommend!  They will often have a list of MUA's with reasonable fees.

Jun 06 06 01:56 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

VikyL wrote:
I think a lot of stylists don't even check to casting forum, because everyone there wants them to work for free.  Stick to emailing directly, and make sure that, while you explain the shoot is TFP, you ask for their rates.  Many will then be kind and work for a kit fee, or reduced rate.  They're people too: tell them what you can honestly afford.  If you go in right off the bat asking them to work for a kit fee, they may be insulted.  Also remember that the looks a MUA wants in their book are different from what a photographer or model want, and your concept may not even be worth a kit fee to them, unfortunately.

Edit: Forgot!  Contact (acting) headshot photographers in the area and ask who they recommend!  They will often have a list of MUA's with reasonable fees.

I always say what the shoot is, who with, and that they have their choice of pay/tfp/or a combination. And I did manage to score 2 muas for the shoots I have coming up by some miracle smile

Jun 06 06 02:02 pm Link

Photographer

EMG STUDIOS

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Im not even referring to Delaware. I travel all the time and have only found 2 mua's that were reliable and good. I go to MD/PA/DE/DC/VA/NY/NJ. Thats a lot of places to not find mua's!! I need mua's in Baltimore for the next 2 weekends and cant find a soul despite my billion emails and castings.

I recall you having this issue a couple weeks ago and had you contact my MUA. From what I understand, you were asking for a lot and wasn't really trying to pay much money? That could be the problem?

I think - there is a total disconnect when it comes to the value of said products. At some point you will have to pay for quality work, or spend twice the monetary value, in time; trying to do it right with non-quality work.

Jun 06 06 03:37 pm Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

EMG STUDIOS wrote:
I recall you having this issue a couple weeks ago and had you contact my MUA. From what I understand, you were asking for a lot and wasn't really trying to pay much money? That could be the problem?

I think - there is a total disconnect when it comes to the value of said products. At some point you will have to pay for quality work, or spend twice the monetary value, in time; trying to do it right with non-quality work.

If Im thinking of the right person we didnt even get to the point of talking $$ because I got other replies before hers so no that wasnt the issue.

EDIT: I found the email and the issue was distance because she was nowhere near where I was shooting!

Jun 06 06 03:41 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Mark Schmudde

New Lenox, Illinois, US

I was reading here about the difficulty finding a good MUA in different areas.  I am a Professional MUA and have been doing it for about 13 years.  I do make up for Weddings, Photography, Live SMT (Satellite Media Tours) Corporate Videos, Film, Television, Commercials, and I do injury simulation, Face Painting and Body Painting.  I am one of the three make up artists selected nationally to be part of the "Shut Up and Model!" reality TV series.  I am located in the Chicago area, but I am portable as well.  I love doing make up.  It is my passion.  I am creative and versatile.   I am ALWAYS on time.  I am hard working.  I can always be counted on to be where I need to when I need to.

So if you need someone dependable and creative, feel free to let me know.

Thank you.

Mark

Jun 06 06 04:09 pm Link