Forums > General Industry > Rights Dilema, Photo Use.

Photographer

Lee Lossing

Largo, Florida, US

Hi everyone-

Let's just say for instance I did a shoot yesterday. The shoot was for an automotive product company and done by me. A second company was asked to provide bikinis for the girls. The bikini company was to get 2 or 3 images of each girl for use on their own website. We would get the use of the bikinis for the shoot as well as the eventual ownership of the bikinis as a small payment to the models. When the shoot took place the owner of the bikini company request ALL of the raw, unedited images be put on CD. Let's also say that the photographer does not agree with the request. The owner did show, did provide the bikinis and did give a bikini to each of two models. Now the bikini company owner and I agree to disagree. The owner of the automotive product company is fully aware and fully in my corner. What legal rights do I have to use the images I took with my camera with his bikinis on the models under the agreement that has fallen through? Basically can I use the images for the calendar still? We are prepared to shoot the whole thing over if need be. The photos of the two models already taken would most likely amount to four of the twelve months of the calendar.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered.

Jun 05 06 05:56 pm Link

Photographer

phcorcoran

Lawrence, Indiana, US

Lee Lossing wrote:
Now the bikini company owner and I agree to disagree.

Don't worry about your "rights" until you reach a point where you are no longer able to carry on discussions.  Disagreements arise all the time in business.  You just have to talk it through together and make reasonable compromises.

Jun 05 06 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

If you want real legal advice, consult a real lawyer. With that said, here's my free, worthless, non-legal advice...

Sounds like you own all the copyrights to all the images, unless the automotive company that hired you specifically spelled out that it was WFH.

The bikini company is merely a sponsor. They don't own any rights except for the ones you grant them.

The only three things you'll need to do virtually any lawful things with those images are:

1) model releases from the models.
2) property release from the car owners/locations you shot them.
3) property/brand/whatever release from the bikini sponsor*

*This is important if logos are showing, or if the a design/patter/cut is easily recognizable as their brand of product. If the bikinis are super-generic looking and sans logos, you may not need one.

Again, if you want to publish, distribute, and profit from these images, it's best if you have everyone involved on your side. If not, consult a real lawyer. This concludes my worthless, free, non-legal advice.

Jun 05 06 06:13 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Lossing

Largo, Florida, US

No reasonable compromise was possible. The shoot was to take place on two days, the second of which has yet to take place. Where we stand now is we are going to provide our own wardrobe, or pay the models a wardrobe allowance to provide their own. Depending on the legal matters, we may end up shooting the whole thing over. Ideally we would like to use the images from the 6 hours of shooting and the countless time and energy many people already have invested.

Jun 05 06 06:16 pm Link

Photographer

Twisted Light

Miami, Florida, US

I'm so confused. Good thing I'm not a lawyer. Personally I'd way the battle of how much will it cost to reshoot vs how much to go to court. Good luck

Jun 05 06 06:18 pm Link

Photographer

Soren McCarty

Boulder, Colorado, US

Lee Lossing wrote:
Hi everyone-

Let's just say for instance I did a shoot yesterday. The shoot was for an automotive product company and done by me. A second company was asked to provide bikinis for the girls. The bikini company was to get 2 or 3 images of each girl for use on their own website. We would get the use of the bikinis for the shoot as well as the eventual ownership of the bikinis as a small payment to the models. When the shoot took place the owner of the bikini company request ALL of the raw, unedited images be put on CD. Let's also say that the photographer does not agree with the request. The owner did show, did provide the bikinis and did give a bikini to each of two models. Now the bikini company owner and I agree to disagree. The owner of the automotive product company is fully aware and fully in my corner. What legal rights do I have to use the images I took with my camera with his bikinis on the models under the agreement that has fallen through? Basically can I use the images for the calendar still? We are prepared to shoot the whole thing over if need be. The photos of the two models already taken would most likely amount to four of the twelve months of the calendar.

Offer to Buy the Bikinis and sell them shots with their product. If not reshoot. Don't give the Bikini guy $H!t , maybe a couple low res jpegs for his site , but  make him pay for anything beyond that. Beside he is getting free props for his product if it is being used in a calender.

Jun 05 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

first of all..whats in writing?

as i see it you have a primary agreement to provide images for a calander.

you have a secondary agreement to provide images to the bikini supplier.

so supply the 2-3 images per model to the bikini supplier as agreed...

if they want to buy out the unedited images as a separate agreement, do that..
it could be cash or more bikinis..what ever you agree too..

if they want all unedited images after the initial agreement..to freaken bad, unless you hope to work with them in the future..

but i really just boils down to whats in writing...the rest is up for grabs.

Jun 05 06 06:26 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Lossing

Largo, Florida, US

On paper I have my model release. The bikini company owner has his. That's it. Both are signed by both models. The agreement (here's where the plot thickens) between the auto company, the bikini company and myself went by e-mail through a third model who set a good deal of the shoot up. That same third model was unable to make it due to severe medical problems.

I have the full support of the auto company owner, the location owner, the vehicle owners, and the models who participated. The only individual not on board is the bikini company owner.

Jun 05 06 06:42 pm Link

Photographer

Sophistocles

Seattle, Washington, US

CLT wrote:
3) property/brand/whatever release from the bikini sponsor*

*This is important if logos are showing, or if the a design/patter/cut is easily recognizable as their brand of product.

May I respectfully ask that you cite the statute under which you give this advice?

Jun 05 06 06:45 pm Link

Photographer

S W I N S K E Y

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

if you are worried that the bikini mfg is going to make trouble..just do a reshoot..
spending 6 more hours around some lovely young women is not the worse thing that could happen..

so then the bikini supplier gets no images...

who really loses then?

and give me the name of the supplier privately so i can direct business away from them...

https://i.imgur.com/m8TQi.png

Jun 05 06 06:48 pm Link

Photographer

SKPhoto

Newark, California, US

Lee Lossing wrote:
On paper I have my model release. The bikini company owner has his. That's it. Both are signed by both models. The agreement (here's where the plot thickens) between the auto company, the bikini company and myself went by e-mail through a third model who set a good deal of the shoot up. That same third model was unable to make it due to severe medical problems.

I have the full support of the auto company owner, the location owner, the vehicle owners, and the models who participated. The only individual not on board is the bikini company owner.

Emails?  Print them out and see what they say.  Without a written agreement these can do in a pinch.

Documentation is a wonderful thing.  So is making sure all the i's have been dotted and t's crossed before one click happens.

Jun 05 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

VRG Photography

Tallahassee, Florida, US

This falls under the "more trouble than it's worth" category.

Shoot them again with other swimsuits, and chalk it up as a learning experience.

Jun 05 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

CLT

Winchester, Virginia, US

May I respectfully ask that you cite the statute under which you give this advice?

Of course, Chris. Unfortunately I am unable to recite any particular court cases right off my head. Designers are able to own rights to patterns on fabrics, or even specific cut/tailoring of, in this case, bikinis. If the bikini sponsor in question does own all the design, branding, etc of the supplied goods, they will be able to sue the OP for damages if he decides to go ahead and publish his calendar. The court will then decide if the bikinis are unique enough, whether it's distinguishable in the images, or if there are actual damages. I believe it's every phtographer's goal to avoid the courtroom. once again, I apologize for not being able to provide a real case study in support of my claim. I will do some research and if I find anything, I will post again. If not, take everything I said cum grano salis, or a spoon of sugar if you prefer.

-CLT

Jun 05 06 07:06 pm Link

Photographer

UCPhotog

Hartford, Connecticut, US

What should you do?

You should NOT ask legal questions here. Ask an attorney. Should you take legal advice metered out from MM, and then it's incorrect, who will protect you? Take legal advice from a lawyer and his malpractice insurance will protect you.

I don't mean to sound rude (and I know it does sound that way), but we see all the time people asking questions of legal matters here at MM. Would you ask this same group of people here at MM for medical advice? There are tons of analogies I could make, but in short, No, you wouldn't. So why take advice of other professions outside of our community?

Just another rant from me,

UCPhotog

Jun 05 06 08:02 pm Link

Photographer

WingedPower

Cupertino, California, US

Lee Lossing wrote:
No reasonable compromise was possible. The shoot was to take place on two days, the second of which has yet to take place. Where we stand now is we are going to provide our own wardrobe, or pay the models a wardrobe allowance to provide their own. Depending on the legal matters, we may end up shooting the whole thing over. Ideally we would like to use the images from the 6 hours of shooting and the countless time and energy many people already have invested.

Definitely not legal advice, just opinion. For real legal advice, contact a contract and IP lawyer!

Sounds like the Bikini owner wanted to change the deal and have more images for use by their company. That's great for him, but from what you've posted, he had originally agreed to take only a few pics(3-4?). Unless RAW or ALL PICS was included in the email correspondance, he doesn't have a leg to stand on.

However, having said that, he can still cause problems and make a big fuss about it.

You could offer him a discount on usage rights to the images(non-RAW) for use for his website/business/etc. Call it a meeting him halfway solution.

The other, and much safer, route would be to just reshoot the shots with different bikinis.

If he likes your work enough to try to get more photographs out of you, then he should compensate you for them. He is only owed a few photographs for his company's contribution of the bikinis for the photography and to the models, as originally agreed upon.

Giving him a discount to smooth over things and getting a written agreement setting what is given to whom for what in stone would be a good way to put a final end to this, if you want to use the images from the 6 hour shoot.

Under no circumstances would just giving him the images be agood idea. Either through misunderstanding or through intent, he has attempted to change the agreement to his benefit. Whatever you do from this point onward, get it in writing!

Kudos on what sounds like an awesome photoshoot, btw!

To reiterate: I'm no lawyer. For real legal advice, consult a contract and/OR an IP lawyer!

Jun 05 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Nathan Strausse Studios

New York, New York, US

Make a lo-res contact sheet for the bikini company owner. Place a mark/logo on each photograph. Now the bikini company can choose which pictures they want. You can give him those pics, he can publish, you can get your name (with a contract stating use and credit given) on each photo used. You win, he wins.....

No lawyers and now you have another contact in this extremely competetive industry.

Jun 05 06 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Lee Lossing wrote:
No reasonable compromise was possible.

If you are at an impasse... not legal advice but practical advice...

Shoot it over... but this time for God's sake get your contracts/agreements sorted before you get to the stage you are at now... indeed, before you ever shoot the first image... IN WRITING!

Who gets what; who gets first choice; who chooses the field from which the "selects" will be made - you or them; how many images each gets to actually use [the "selects" - though they may have a choice from more than that number]; how they can be used by each party - exclusive or non-exclusive use; compensation from/to each user and use; compensation for you and the models.

As agreements go you are now in a "garbage in = garbage out" situation... but if you are beholden to anyone it is probably the bikini supplier at this point because they agreed to furnish the advance compensation and followed thorough by actually supplying the gear.

You are out of pocket but so are they.

Studio36

Jun 06 06 06:17 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

Lee Lossing wrote:
Hi everyone-

Thanks in advance for any help and advice offered.

What was the nature of the agreement that you reached with the bikini company? What did you offer them in exchange for their bikinis, and what form did this offer take? Tell me you didn't do all this on the basis of a verbal agreement!?!

If you promised two or three images, that's the deal. People are always coming back and asking for a better deal after the fact. That's like negotiating a deal to buy a car, and then coming back to pick it up after the papers are all signed, and saying you've decided you want a lower price. It's not ethical -- the deal is cut.

So if you have a paper trail of some kind outlining the agreement, and it's not ambiguous on the number of images you will provide, I'd leave it at that. If the bikini guy wants more pictures than the original deal encompassed, they can buy them from you.

If you have no paper trail for the agreement, frankly, you deserve the wretched position you find yourself in. Verbal agreements have no place in business like this.

Jun 06 06 06:37 am Link

Photographer

Ty Simone

Edison, New Jersey, US

I am not a Lawyer - and despite popular belief, I do not play one on MM.

However, My understanding of the situation is that they are two seperate issues.

The photographs, and the rights to use them are either yours or the automotive companys, depending on your arrangement with them.
You should be able to continue to use them without issue.
The logic to support that is as follows:
the bikinis in question are NOT the focus of the images. Granted that they are an integral part, but not the focus. (In other words, you are not shooting in humpty bikinis because they are humptie bikinis. You are shooting in humptie bikinis because the models need to wear something.)

The second issue is an agreement for compensation for use and ownership of the bikinis, and have absolutely nothing to do with the image rights.
Basically the bikini company can claim breach of contract (rather right or not) because you, in their opinion, did not live up to your end of the bargain, i.e. giving them images.

The problem is thoguh that anyone can sue anyone else over anything in this country, and that means that you might incur legal fees that make shooting again a better option.

Hope that helps.

Jun 06 06 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

UCPhotog wrote:
What should you do?

You should NOT ask legal questions here. Ask an attorney. Should you take legal advice metered out from MM, and then it's incorrect, who will protect you? Take legal advice from a lawyer and his malpractice insurance will protect you.

I don't mean to sound rude (and I know it does sound that way), but we see all the time people asking questions of legal matters here at MM. Would you ask this same group of people here at MM for medical advice? There are tons of analogies I could make, but in short, No, you wouldn't. So why take advice of other professions outside of our community?

Just another rant from me,

UCPhotog

OK -- my turn to rant. The average professional photographer in America makes just over $21K a year -- yet every time a business issue comes up, people like you suggest that we can't consult each other -- we have to go running to a lawyer. If we did that, we'd be broke.

Maybe your photography business is so profitable you can afford a few hours of lawyer time at $150/hour every time a dispute comes up. Mine isn't. And I suspect most photographers are in the same boat. These kinds of disputes are common and frequent -- there is no reason to involve a lawyer in them for the kind of money that is at stake -- that would be insane. When the legal fees will easily exceed the cost of the shoot, it's insane to talk to a lawyer.

I think it's reasonable to ask other people who are involved in the same business for advice on how to handle a situation -- particularly for situations that are relatively trivial like this.

You compare this to medical advice -- horrible analogy. Medical situations involve life and death. The medical business is a trillion dollar business, and a stay in the hospital can easily run into 10s of thousands, sometimes hundreds of thousands of dollars. To compare that with a simple bikini shoot is ludicrous.

It's reasonable to ask for advice -- and not every business dispute requires the advice of a lawyer.

Finally, unless you live in a town like NY and LA, the advice you will get on photography matters from the local lawyers can be remarkably ignorant. Lawyers tend to be specialists -- and unless they know the ins and outs of entertainment and photography law, they can give very bad advice. I recently had a model come back after I delivered the images from a TFP shoot, for which he signed a complete release, and ask me to sign a document, drafted by his family lawyer, that said if I made any usage of the images without his permission, I would be liable for damages. Now THERE was some good advice from a lawyer!

Lawyers are great when you REALLY need them. Otherwise, leave them in their cage where they belong.

Jun 06 06 06:46 am Link

Photographer

StratMan

Detroit, Michigan, US

I'm no attorney, and this is not legal advice!

The bikini manufacturer was fine with getting 2-3 shots of each model for their website(low res 72 dpi images are perfect for web, not for printing).

Now they want ALL your raw originals burned onto a CD. That's basically like giving them the entire shoot that you & others setup/produced in exchange for a couple of bikinis!

You can easily find another bikini co. to use.

Unless it was a work for hire agreement, you own all images.

Strat

Jun 06 06 07:12 am Link

Photographer

American Glamour

Detroit, Michigan, US

Golly gosh, simple things get out of hand.  It sounds like you are worried that the bikini company is going to sue you over the number of images that you provided them.

This whole thing is getting silly.  Use the pictures, give the guy some images and stop losing sleep.  The only issue here is compensation for the swimsuits not rights to the photos.  The models have done their part so that isn't at issue as well.  The dispute is just about the number of photos, nothing more.

I can see the lawsuit now ... I agreed to provide the swimsuits for free if I received photos, the defendant claims he was to give me 3 photos per set.  I claim there were to be twenty.  I got three images per set, I want more.    For breach of contract I want one million dollars!  I can hear Judge Judy giving you a lecture and asking why two grown men couldn't work this out.  It isn't rocket science and it isn't about money.  You just disagree on how many pictures.

This will work itself out as calmer heads prevail.  I'm sure you can reach a compromise.  Too much energy for such a small issue.

Jun 06 06 07:37 am Link

Photographer

DEM Photos

Sunderland, Massachusetts, US

My own non-lawyerly advice matches Ty Simone's: You own the rights, unless you explicitly agreed with the automotive parts company or bikini company that the shoot was work-for-hire (and it doesn't sound as if you had any such agreement). I suspect the owner of the bikini company has a fundamental misunderstanding about how professional photography works: as a professional photographer, your income comes from your photographs, and you are not able to give them away for free. Instead of completely scrapping your first shoot (an expensive, everyone-loses solution), though, I'd recommend offering to buy the bikinis from the owner, thereby removing any honorable claim he may have to your photographs. I doubt he would accept, but it might help him realize that the photos are worth a lot more to you than a few bikinis. Of course, I have no idea what these bikinis sell for; if they're hundreds of dollars each, well, perhaps he IS entitled (not in any legal sense, but just in a sense of what's "fair") to more than three or four low-res jpegs.

It's important to keep in mind that the bikini company owner is a potential future customer (or at the very least, bikini supplier). Clearly he's not the easiest person to work with, but you have a better idea than anyone else here of just how difficult he is and what future photo business or bikini supplying you may miss out on if you completely piss him off. In any case, everyone will probably be better off if you can come to some sort of amicable agreement. And for what it's worth, I believe a verbal agreement IS a legally binding agreement (certainly an e-mail agreement is), but of course it's much more difficult to take to court, so next time, get it in writing.

As I mentioned before, this is the advice of a non-lawyer, but really, no one should be contemplating hiring lawyers and going to court over something like this.

Jun 06 06 07:39 am Link

Photographer

Hinterland

Washington, District of Columbia, US

You need to do things.

1) Buy a copy of 'The Law in Plain English for Photographers'

2) If you can, join or at least do what you can to get as much info as possible off of a group called ASMP - they work a lot of legal issues for photgraphers

If you do get a lawyer...make sure its one who specializes in photographic law...

Jun 06 06 07:55 am Link

Photographer

Lee Lossing

Largo, Florida, US

First of all, thanks to everyone for the ideas and advice.

Where it stands now, we plan on reshooting the whole thing. My client (the automotive product company) is speaking with his lawyer about the situation. Again, he is 100% on my side, the models are 100% on my side. I'm not even sure if I can begin to describe all of what the bikini guy has and is doing. What I will tell you is neither model I shot with last Sunday, for reasons not even mentioned, will ever work with that guy again, nor will I. I told the girls the whole six hour hot sweaty shoot in an auto repair facility might be a wash if I were to not give the guy the images. Neither of these girls had ever worked with me before, so when they agreed it would be better that I NOT give him the images and totally redo the shoot, it meant the WORLD to me!

It was not a work for hire, they are my images.

To emphasize a tid bit of info that I feel is important... The arrangement of how many images the bikini guy was to get as well as many other important peices of the puzzle were all set up by the third model who never showed. She was one of 5 models that didn't show that day. She also was the one who arranged all of those models for the shoot. I have yet to hear from her at all, she has simply vanished off the face of the planet.

My weekly job is going about the same.

My power went out for a while today too.

I may need to find a new place to live. My landlord is looking to sell the house.

Some weeks are easy, some are not.

This one falls into the latter category.

I'm done with my pity party. Thanks for listening wink

Mmmm, beer!

-Lee

Jun 07 06 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Lee Lossing

Largo, Florida, US

Oh, can anyone point me in the right direction for getting or producing a proper property release?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 08 06 03:29 pm Link