Forums > General Industry > Misery loves company - most flakes in a row?

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

San Francisco, California, US

A weekend like this is enough to make me change my outlook on photographing models, but I'd hate to become that cynical. I'd almost rather quit shooting than to become jaded from an activity I enjoyed so much. Maybe I'll feel better if others share their experiences, models and photographers alike. 

What is the most consecutive no shows or last minute cancellations you've had and over what time period? This weekend hit a record for me. The longest string I had before was 1.

Two last minute cancels on Sat, one just 45 mins before the shoot, followed by a no show on Sun by a MM member. That's 3 flakes in a row in less than 48 hours. Can anyone top that?

Jun 05 06 03:24 am Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

las vegas, 5 in a row over 2 days in 2005 , no call, no show ,then one of them actually asked me to shoot her in 06, like heck, once bitten.

Jun 05 06 03:31 am Link

Photographer

Collin J. Rae

Winchester, Virginia, US

Portland, Oregon Summer 2005 3 in 12 hours.

Jun 05 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

It took me 60 hours to get my 3 flakes in, but I got no calls cancelling.  Does that count for anything?

Jun 05 06 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

DC

8 in a row.  No calls no shows.

Jun 05 06 03:44 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Brian Diaz wrote:
It took me 60 hours to get my 3 flakes in, but I got no calls cancelling.  Does that count for anything?

Spreading the flakes over 3 days sounds more painful. I'd end up waiting and waiting and waiting for days in a row. 

PS. You should tell Pie Bear to change his profile. He's not saying the most complimentary things about his roommate.

Jun 05 06 03:46 am Link

Photographer

picturephoto

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Ransom J wrote:
DC

8 in a row.  No calls no shows.

Holy crap that sucks!  I will never complain about a re-schedule ever again.

Jun 05 06 03:47 am Link

Photographer

Ransomaniac

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Richard Dubois wrote:

Holy crap that sucks!  I will never complain about a re-schedule ever again.

Funny thing is out of the 8, 6 of them contacted ME for a shoot.

Only one out of the 10 scheduled showed, and the other one that wasn't a flaked actually had an excuse.  We BOTH had schedule conflicts and had to reschedule for my next trip out there.

Jun 05 06 03:51 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Ransom J wrote:
Funny thing is out of the 8, 6 of them contacted ME for a shoot.

Only one out of the 10 scheduled showed, and the other one that wasn't a flaked actually had an excuse.  We BOTH had schedule conflicts and had to reschedule for my next trip out there.

I'm not sure whether to feel better or worse. It's like going into group therapy and having someone tell you the pain you're feeling is just the start! Holy smokes, 8 in a row.

Jun 05 06 03:58 am Link

Photographer

Mann Made Imagery

Lubbock, Texas, US

I just had 4 in a row... :\ makes me pretty upset... they were all last minute... but I got over them and brushed it off and am in search of more models to work with.

Jun 05 06 04:00 am Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Geez, guys -- consider this:  more than 2 "flakes" in a row is a trend.  Why are you blaming the models when there is evidence that the fault might be yours?  Perhaps you need to think about the deal you are offering the models & how you are treating them?

Jun 05 06 09:47 am Link

Photographer

UnoMundo

Olympia, Washington, US

Doug Mackay    DMP wrote:
las vegas, 5 in a row over 2 days in 2005 , no call, no show ,then one of them actually asked me to shoot her in 06, like heck, once bitten.

Must be the same five, I had that here in two days also.

Best , is that the model that overslept 4 days in a row!

Jun 05 06 09:49 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

I just wanted to tell all you fabulous people not to give up on us yet!!! I know there are a lot of screwy models but I swear there are a few good eggs in the MM basket.

Jun 05 06 09:51 am Link

Photographer

M Coleman Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

This is the second, large, group shoot that I've done where I paid for food, lodging, etc... The first time, I booked about 10 models, and 6 showed.  The second shoot is today.  In the last 24 hours, I've had 4 out of 8 cancel. It wont surprise me if only 2 show up....  I can't believe the lack of professionalism... And, this project is paid on commission.  I have vendors knocking down my door to get thier hands on the finished work.  The models who do show are gonna make bank!

Jun 05 06 09:53 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=51931

They probably read your thread here decided you were not worth working with.

Jun 05 06 09:54 am Link

Photographer

M Coleman Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
I just wanted to tell all you fabulous people not to give up on us yet!!! I know there are a lot of screwy models but I swear there are a few good eggs in the MM basket.

I believe you Claire...You had a whole thread started yesterday about how awsome and professional you are.  I just wish the rest were like you.

Jun 05 06 09:55 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Cincinnati, OH. Spring through summer of 2005.

3 in a row for the same PAID(!) shoot.

Jun 05 06 09:56 am Link

Photographer

Fotographia Fantastique

White River Junction, Vermont, US

Claire Elizabeth wrote:

It's true - most of my flakes have been from that "O" site. I have always had pretty good luck with MM models.

Jun 05 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Eddy Torigoe

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Looknsee Photography wrote:
Geez, guys -- consider this:  more than 2 "flakes" in a row is a trend.  Why are you blaming the models when there is evidence that the fault might be yours?  Perhaps you need to think about the deal you are offering the models & how you are treating them?

So all these threads i've been reading since I joined the various photographer/model sites where photographers complain about flakes and no-shows must all be the photographers fault. It couldn't possibly be that the majority of online "models" have built themselves a reputation of being unreliable and not actually models, but just girls that like to be told they're pretty. Nah, it can't be that.

Jun 05 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=51931

Chicks who do research and put photographers in their place are HOT! big_smile

Jun 05 06 10:04 am Link

Model

Kizzy

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

That post would have done it for me...

Jun 05 06 10:09 am Link

Model

Claire Elizabeth

Exton, Pennsylvania, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

Uh yeah, this might very well have been a deterrent. If you start a thread that has the word bragging in the title you have pretty much screwed yourself.

Jun 05 06 10:11 am Link

Photographer

M Coleman Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

OMG!!! Someone is full of themselves...  I can see LookNSee's point there...

Jun 05 06 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Iona Lynn wrote:

C R Photography wrote:
Chicks who do research and put photographers in their place are HOT! big_smile

I wish that were the case - at least I could blame it on something, but it was the other way around.

I had 2 flakes in a row, then wrote the post. Then it turned into 3, so I wanted to find out how common the situation was. I also know the last model did not read that post because I do my research.

Jun 05 06 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Claire Elizabeth wrote:
Uh yeah, this might very well have been a deterrent. If you start a thread that has the word bragging in the title you have pretty much screwed yourself.

I suppose there are some models who don't understand what a satire is, but like I said, none of the models read that post.

Jun 05 06 11:32 am Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Kizzy wrote:
That post would have done it for me...

Oh great. So you're saying you would no-show because someone posted that they were getting a lot of no shows and cancellations?

Jun 05 06 11:38 am Link

Photographer

Sockpuppet Studios

Satire is literature that makes observations on life and offers commentary that is so preposterous it can't be true. Jonathan swift’s essay “A modest proposalâ€? is a great example of satire: The selling and eating of small children as a solution to rid the world of both the poor and the hungry at the same time.
Your little essay was not nearly outlandish enough to be considered satire, it just made you look like a typical GWC some of us models come across everyday. Although it does say a lot about the state of internet modeling if several people read it and believed what you wrote. I sure did, I was a bit confused at first, given when you shot with me you were nothing but respectful. But nothing surprises me about people any more.

Jun 05 06 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Tangerine Media

Portland, Arkansas, US

aguynamededdy wrote:

So all these threads i've been reading since I joined the various photographer/model sites where photographers complain about flakes and no-shows must all be the photographers fault. It couldn't possibly be that the majority of online "models" have built themselves a reputation of being unreliable and not actually models, but just girls that like to be told they're pretty. Nah, it can't be that.

Yeah, gotta laugh at Looknsee's comment. Maybe he makes himself feel better thinking that how you treat a model determines if they get in their car, show up as promised, and do the shoot. More than likely though, just a prickhead.

I think treatment probably means $ which is not TFCD.

Jun 05 06 11:59 am Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Iona Lynn wrote:

Satire makes one unattractive?

("Lass Minkan Seles" and "NoSho"...lol)

Was his humor so over the top that models seriously would not want to work with him because of this post?

Jun 05 06 11:59 am Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

No models are dumb and didn't see it was a faux name it went right over my head I figured he was shooting Asian models with more traditional names........I even looked up a few of the names to find the models he was shooting with.........
Nosho is a super cute Japanese name. (I watch too much anime)

I am so dense at times
Please accept my apology rue for thinking you are a creep, I still owe you a shoot.

Jun 05 06 12:08 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Iona Lynn wrote:
No models are dumb and didn't see it was a faux name it went right over my head I figured he was shooting Asian models with more traditional names........I even looked up a few of the names to find the models he was shooting with.........
Nosho is a super cute Japanese name. (I watch too much anime)

I am so dense at times
Please accept my apology rue for thinking you are a creep, I still owe you a shoot.

Lol, I assumed you got the post, and were just letting me know that it might have went over the heads of some other models. So no apologies needed and no offense taken at all!

I watch a lot of anime too, which is where my inspiration for the names came from. And I'll be happy to use that raincheck when you're less busy.

Jun 05 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Chi - Rue99 Photography

Experimental Photoworks wrote:
Your little essay was not nearly outlandish enough to be considered satire, it just made you look like a typical GWC some of us models come across everyday. Although it does say a lot about the state of internet modeling if several people read it and believed what you wrote. I sure did, I was a bit confused at first, given when you shot with me you were nothing but respectful. But nothing surprises me about people any more.

I think people either got it right away or they didn't. It was a light, Dave Barry'esque style, piece. I haven't done one of those in awhile and it was a good way to turn a negative event into something more positive and comedic.   

Although the models I've shot with would say I'm respectful (or they wouldn't have reshot the artistic series with me), I don't think we've worked together before, at least not under your name here.

Jun 05 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

What about the record for number of additional chances given and getting flaked each time?

Jun 05 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

Looknsee Photography

Portland, Oregon, US

Tangerine Media wrote:
Yeah, gotta laugh at Looknsee's comment. Maybe he makes himself feel better thinking that how you treat a model determines if they get in their car, show up as promised, and do the shoot. More than likely though, just a prickhead.

I think treatment probably means $ which is not TFCD.

I treat models very well.  And I have never had a no-show.

I treat my butcher really well, too.  (How many of you know your butcher's name?)  I get great meats & fish, trimmed just the way I like it.

I treat the woman who helps me clean my house really well.  After working for me for a couple of years, I gave her a raise (without her asking), and I've helped her create a brochure for her fledgling business.  She has stopped cleaning for all her other customers, but she still looks forward to cleaning over here.

My philosophy is that I treat people better than they expect.  (And, sadly, it's not all that difficult to do that.)  In return, people tend to treat me really well, too. 

Like I said, I've never had a no-show.  What is your solution to the no-show problem?  Do you think bitching about it here on this board is a constructive way to improve your results?

Jun 05 06 03:11 pm Link

Photographer

The Things Ive Seen

Leadville, Colorado, US

I cannot recall a number in a row but last weekend a model who I had communicated with for a month leading up to the actual shoot flaked out on me last minute. It was the first model other than my wife that I was going to photograph in over a year which makes it that much worse. I had high expectations. The shoot was for Sunday and I have not heard from her either by email or phone since the previous Thursday when she told me everything was on. Fortunately I suspected something was up when I didn't hear from her on Friday or Saturday and never made the two hour drive. That kind of thing really burns me and I'll never understand why people will do that and think it is ok.

Jun 05 06 04:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chuck Holliday

New York, New York, US

me and another photographer made a big bet (money involved) and we scheduled ourselves for a week straight of scheduled photoshoots that began this past friday.

so far, i'm 0 for 4 (3 from online, although i'm not surprised - i dont expect any of them to show up) with 1 legit cancel. i still have 4 more scheduled through the remainder of the week, and i'm expecting 2 of them to actually show (one is a model who i actually met off myspace and i've worked with her more times since april than i have with anybody off mayhem ever). as for the other photographer i made the bet with, he is 0 for 3 with all no shows (i think theyre all off mayhem too, lol). i was surprised with his stats because he's more "popular" on mayhem, and we all know girls only shoot with the popular guys who make a few announcements per day, lol.

thankfully for me, i have regulars away from the internet that i generally work with and theyre very spur of the moment types so they've already offered to fill-in on the days the "web kids" (what one of them refers the net girls as) dont show. another thing too is i've learned to not even remotely react negatively to the girls who dont show, because in my mind, they werent expected to show anyways. but whats funny is that theyre all asking to reschedule as if i actually reschedule those types of shoots, lol. but even worse, i can only imagine what people who actually contact models have to go thru, i dont contact models to work with me, so maybe thats why my reaction to them cancelling isnt as harsh or i dont get bent out of shape over it, because nine times out of ten i dont expect for them to show.. well at least anybody based online, lol. i dont have that problem with people who arent online like that.

Jun 05 06 04:22 pm Link

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

I treat my butcher really well, too.  (How many of you know your butcher's name?)  I get great meats & fish, trimmed just the way I like it.

I treat the woman who helps me clean my house really well.  After working for me for a couple of years, I gave her a raise (without her asking), and I've helped her create a brochure for her fledgling business.  She has stopped cleaning for all her other customers, but she still looks forward to cleaning over here.

My philosophy is that I treat people better than they expect.  (And, sadly, it's not all that difficult to do that.)  In return, people tend to treat me really well, too. 

Like I said, I've never had a no-show.  What is your solution to the no-show problem?  Do you think bitching about it here on this board is a constructive way to improve your results?

Jun 05 06 07:34 pm Link

Model

Lulu39

Toronto, Iowa, US

here here!!!!!! well bloody said!

Jun 05 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Mickle Design Werks wrote:
Satire makes one unattractive?

("Lass Minkan Seles" and "NoSho"...lol)

Was his humor so over the top that models seriously would not want to work with him because of this post?

I got Nosho immediately, but must confess that "Lass Minkan Seles"  took me a few minutes to decipher. :-)

Jun 05 06 07:53 pm Link

Photographer

ADG Photography

Calhoun, Georgia, US

Alas, it is really difficult (if not impossible) to work at and improve your craft if essential elements are always missing. No subject=no photos. I swear all this used to be MUCH easier. Of course, that was when I was on the "other" site. Maybe I should try to rebuild that bridge. LOL

Jun 05 06 08:38 pm Link